Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers Hire A.J. Hinch As New Tigers Manager and New Coaches

Lets say it is half Rose was banned now for 31 years so .. well you get the idea. And complicity, depending on states and of course the crime, can get the same sentence. Getaway driver, lookout - burglary or murder. No distinction.
And I would not call it competitive edge but but down right cheating. Goes against fair play - or the good of the game (like Rose).

Speeding (against the law) is not equal to murder. That is what you are basically saying, that all crimes are the same.

It's a good hire. He served his time. He was remorseful.. best candidate out there . I hope he can hire his own staff.
I must have listened to the wrong interviews because he didn't seem remorseful.

Speeding (against the law) is not equal to murder. That is what you are basically saying, that all crimes are the same.
Who mentioned speeding. How does burglary and murder become speeding. How did a driver or lookout become murder. Speeding, lol.

Who mentioned speeding. How does burglary and murder become speeding. How did a driver or lookout become murder. Speeding, lol.

Like a good joke, if I have to keep explaining it to you it just loses impact. You just fail to grasp some simple concepts.

Sunday Notes: A Scandal Haunting, AJ Hinch is the New Manager of the Detroit Tigers.
A number of you reading this will share the same opinion: A.J. Hinch was suspended for his role in the Houston Astros cheating scandal, and for that reason he has no business managing a major league baseball team. It?s a reasonable stance. The integrity of the game matters, and while Hinch wasn?t fully on board with the shenanigans ? he twice smashed the monitor used to steal signs ? he nonetheless shares in the blame. That he didn?t put a stop to the outlawed actions is an indelible stain on his reputation.

On Friday ? freshly freed from MLB?s sanctions ? Hinch was named the new manager of the Detroit Tigers. Speaking at his introductory press conference, the club?s one-time catcher was understandably contrite.

?I?ve reflected back? from something that was very wrong,? Hinch expressed to a bevy of reporters. ?As I told Mr. Ilich, and Al, that?s part of my story. It?s not the Tigers? story? it?s not a part of the players I?m going to be managing. I?m sorry that they?re going to have to deal with it, [but] that?s our reality. Wrong is wrong, and I feel responsible, because I was the manager. It was on my watch.?

Mr. Ilich is Christopher Ilich, the Tigers? Chairman and CEO. Al is Al Avila, the club?s Executive VP, Baseball Operations/General Manager. The latter, who?d phoned Hinch 30 minutes after the conclusion of the World Series to request he get on a plane to Detroit, was already well-acquainted with the now-free-to-negotiate candidate. Based on his history with Hinch, Avila wasn?t overburdened by what had happened in Houston.

?We had a pretty good knowledge of AJ, of who he was,? Avila explained. ?There was never a doubt in my mind of his character. Honesty, he?s one of the better guys you?re going to meet in the game, or in life in general. No one mistake determines a man.?

His bona fides are beyond reproach. As Avila pointed out, Hinch has a World Series championship on his resume, as well as a background in both scouting and player development ? beneficial experiences given the team?s youthful promise. Moreover, Hinch is well-versed in analytics, an attribute he adroitly pairs with ? in Avila?s words ? ?baseball acumen.? The veteran front office executive conveyed that the erstwhile Astros manager ?checks all the boxes.?

Replicating the success he had in Houston won?t come easily. Hinch knows that, but he?s equally aware that there?s a lot of high-ceiling talent in the Tigers? pipeline, particularly on the pitching side. He helped turn a young Astros team into a championship team, and he sees the same opportunity in Detroit.

?We had a lot of success at my last stop, and this is a little bit of a different job because of where this organization is at at,? said Hinch. ?But one of the things that stood out for me in the interview process was how Al continued talk about how we?re past the rebuild stage. We?re getting into the building stage, and are going to start getting into the fun pretty soon.?

How soon that fun starts is hard to predict, but one thing is for certain: Hinch was brought on board with winning in mind, and expectations are that he?ll eventually take the Tigers to the top. In the meantime, the Astros? cheating scandal will remain an inescapable part of Hinch?s history. Ilich accepts that, albeit with full confidence that he hired the right person for the job.

?We have high expectations for how we?re going to perform on the field in terms of wins and losses, but also how we conduct ourselves,? Ilich said. ?And I believe, to my core, that AJ is going to conduct himself in the appropriate manner? As Al articulated, and I fully endorse, AJ is exceptionally well-positioned? to help us grow, and ultimately become highly competitive. Hopefully win a World Series championship.?

Fangraphs

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2020/11/02/angel-or-devil-who-did-it-better-2/
ANGEL OR DEVIL ? WHO DID IT BETTER?
Totally Tigers

Welcome to another rendition of Angel or Devil.
So what?s new?
We?re making it easier for you to choose between the halo and the horns.
Take one hot topic and our two bloggers will each stake their own position on it. Will they see the good ? or the devilish side?
As always, they have not shared their answers prior to publication in order to determine if they both see the same thing ? or if there are other viewpoints to consider.
At the end of both arguments, we encourage you to vote in the poll. You may earn your wings but you definitely won?t be sent to that hot spot if you side with the devil. Which of our two bloggers made the better case?

The 2020 World Series has been tied up with a bow and as it turns out, the Tigers? new manager could not wait until it ended.
Al Avila, within 30 minutes of the last out of the Series, contacted AJ Hinch. And the rest is history.
As we all have become painfully aware, AJ Hinch has been dealing with a scary skeleton in his closet and now since he is the new Tiger manager, we have to decide if his misdeeds are still bothersome.

As usual, there is a question to be answered and a position to be taken and it?s for our readers to decide which writer did the better job stating their case.
Please participate in the survey in order to decide who gave the better argument. Don?t forget to come back and check the results and include your comments that support your choice.

Now that the Tigers have hired one of the best managers available, are you still bothered by the scandal?
Between Holly and Kurt, who had the better argument?
1. Holly
2. Kurt
3. Tie / Too close to call

Alex Cora should thank the Tigers. If the Tigers don't hire Hinch first the Red Sox don't re-hire Cora

Back