Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers interested in + now with agreement in place for Joakim Soria

Who did we give up? Been Out...thanks..Making dinner for kids can't scroll through...

Thanks King.... it really is a decent move... I think Soria is locked up for 2015 too... is that Right?

Antonio Bastardo would be awesome for us. A Lefty who can get both RH and LH out. We need Coke out of here once and for all.

So I've read in a few places now that Nathan is the closer, end of story. ESPN (Berry maybe, can't remember) even said that the Tigers wouldn't want Papelbon simply because it could create a closer controversy with Nathan.

I'm not as baseball savvy as some of you folks here, so could someone explain to me why that is even an issue? Nathan has been arguably our worst major league pitcher this year. Why is the team AT ALL worried about keeping him the closer?

Antonio Bastardo would be awesome for us. A Lefty who can get both RH and LH out. We need Coke out of here once and for all.

As much as it pains me to say it, Krol will go before Coke.

Agreed on Bastardo, though there were a few good names on that MLBTR link. Any of them would be a big upgrade over Coke or Krol.

So I've read in a few places now that Nathan is the closer, end of story. ESPN (Berry maybe, can't remember) even said that the Tigers wouldn't want Papelbon simply because it could create a closer controversy with Nathan.

I'm not as baseball savvy as some of you folks here, so could someone explain to me why that is even an issue? Nathan has been arguably our worst major league pitcher this year. Why is the team AT ALL worried about keeping him the closer?

I am the wrong person to ask. I was against signing a 39-year close from day one. I could care less about his feelings and that unless Soria is the closer, we are losing out on potentially getting a draft pick if he walks at Free Agency. I doubt if Nathan brings a pick.

Bastardo is 2nd year Arbitration eligible for 2015 and Free Agent in 2016. He is 2M for the current season. So likely 2.5M for next season.

Vs RHB .283/.243/.526 14BB 37K
vs LHB .279/.340/.61910BB 16K
24BB 53K in 44IP

Both home runs he's given up were to LHB. Lotta walks.I'd prefer a pitcher with better control for this position if we get to be choosy.
By comparison Andrew Miller is 12 BB and 63K in 39 IP.
I'm going all in on Tony Sipp. That's who they need to get. He should be cheap, Houston has no use for him and they picked him off the scrap heap. Not much in the system for me to be sentimental about now except Turley and Adames. Adames only because I read that some scouts were hot on him "Multi-tool guy"

Last edited:

They have to say the right thing because they still owe Nathan something like $15mil over the rest of this year and next. They can't come out and publicly bomb the guy, especially before they have a replacement on the staff. Actions will speak louder than words here. If Nathan continues to suck, Soria and Joba will see more regular closing duties.

He already has 32 while with the Rangers. He just needs 23. Phil Coke got 12 in half a year.

Thanks for the info, Rebbiv, and my apologies for our previous dust up a few months back.

If he winds up getting to 23, it will be well worth it to us to pay the extra $1mil on the option because it's all the more evidence that he's what we need and Nathan isn't/wasn't.

Back