Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers named Ryan Garko as the club’s Vice President of Player Development

FIVE FOR FRIDAY.
Totally Tigers

Spring training is only 8 days old since pitchers and catchers reported and already we are learning new and different things about this new group of Detroit Tigers.

The most obvious is that approximately half the players invited showed up well in advance of their report dates in order to get to work. Some even arrived before the official start date. Remember in the past when more than a couple players showed up beyond their report dates due to family issues, yearly visa issues, etc.?

But what else are we seeing that is new and different now that the new regime has been in charge for a full year?
What is catching our eyes the most?
I’ve got my top 5………..

Monday Musings.
Totally Tigers

Today, it’s about quick hits – bits of news that catch my radar during the week as well as connecting the dots re ongoing stories. Even the quirky.
So let’s get to it! Here are the most interesting topics that hit my radar over the past week………..

UNLOCKING PLAYER POTENTIAL.
Totally Tigers

MONDAY MUSINGS.
Totally Tigers

Today, it’s about quick hits – bits of news that catch my radar during the week as well as connecting the dots re ongoing stories. Even the quirky.
So let’s get to it! Here are the most interesting topics that hit my radar over the past week………..

NUMBERS DON’T LIE.
Totally Tigers

IT’S NOT THAT SIMPLE – Part 1.
Totally Tigers

IT’S NOT THAT SIMPLE – Part 2.
Totally Tigers

On Tuesday, we started addressing the factors that go into the creation of the Opening Day roster. A number of elements that are based upon an overall strategy and limitations rather than simply selecting the best performers.
What they all had in common were contractual and team-controlled obligations.

THE BLACK HOLE. (at shortstop).
Totally Tigers

MONDAY MUSINGS.
Totally Tigers

MONDAY MUSINGS.
Totally Tigers

The most vexing thing about the toilet-paper unis is that MLB knew they were inferior before they foisted them on the players.

And they perhaps bent the truth to some degree to promote them. Actually, they lied.

MLB: "Using all of the feedback it had collected, Nike created a jersey that was well-received by players, complete with lighter fabric for the numbers, letters and patches – a necessity due to the performance-driven material and the thinner body of the uniform. Gone were the days of thick, embroidered letters, numbers and patches, replaced by sleeker and more efficient options." LINK

MLBPA: "The league has said that the goal was to improve the jerseys’ feel and that it solicited feedback from players along the way. “We offered input—suggested what the challenges were going to be—and they needed to be remedied on the front end,” MLBPA executive director Tony Clark told reporters last week (late February, 2024). “They weren’t.”

An MLB.com story last week insisted that the jerseys, which players previewed at the All-Star Game last year, drew “favorable reviews from players.”

[Nick] Castellanos disputes that characterization. “That was the first time that everybody was like, ‘What are these?’” he scoffs. “‘This is cheap.’”

"I know everyone hates them,” Phillies shortstop Trea Turner said. “We all liked what we had. We understand business, but I think everyone wanted to keep it the same way, for the most part, with some tweaks here or there.”

Nike designed; Fanatics manufactured; MLB sanctioned, and no one is taking responsibility for these new, reviled threads.

"The problem is that laywers and businessmen think that us young athletes are stupid." Nick Castellanos.

Last edited:
The most vexing thing about the toilet-paper unis is that MLB knew they were inferior before they foisted them on the players.

And they perhaps bent the truth to some degree to promote them. Actually, they lied.

MLB: "Using all of the feedback it had collected, Nike created a jersey that was well-received by players, complete with lighter fabric for the numbers, letters and patches – a necessity due to the performance-driven material and the thinner body of the uniform. Gone were the days of thick, embroidered letters, numbers and patches, replaced by sleeker and more efficient options." LINK

MLBPA: "The league has said that the goal was to improve the jerseys’ feel and that it solicited feedback from players along the way. “We offered input—suggested what the challenges were going to be—and they needed to be remedied on the front end,” MLBPA executive director Tony Clark told reporters last week (late February, 2024). “They weren’t.”

An MLB.com story last week insisted that the jerseys, which players previewed at the All-Star Game last year, drew “favorable reviews from players.”

Castellanos disputes that characterization. “That was the first time that everybody was like, ‘What are these?’” he scoffs. “‘This is cheap.’”

"I know everyone hates them,” Phillies shortstop Trea Turner said. “We all liked what we had. We understand business, but I think everyone wanted to keep it the same way, for the most part, with some tweaks here or there.”

Nike designed; Fanatics manufactured; MLB sanctioned, and no one is taking responsibility for these new, reviled threads.

"The problem is that laywers and businessmen think that us young athletes are stupid." Nick Castellenos.
I like that Nick Castellanos says what's on his mind and has a IDGAF attitude towards MLB and the corporate greed at the MLBPA's expense.
Haven't liked or trusted Manfred from early on in his capacity.

FIVE FOR FRIDAY.
Totally Tigers

There seems to be some debate about how good the Detroit Tigers really are this year and how far they can go.
Some point to the much better start this season and current record that shows the team playing above .500. Others claim the improvement seen at the end of last year is proof of better play.
On the other end, some say the AL Central standings are misleading. Others use offensive stats to show that this team is still a work in progress.

So what is the best way to evaluate the Tigers’ performance and chances for a higher finish to the 2024 season?
It all has to do with stats and where they rank in MLB that will give us a better and more accurate way to evaluate. This team has to be compared with the other 29 franchises (or at the very least, the other 4 teams in the AL Central) in order to put a proper context to their play.
Here are the top 5 rankings fans need to watch throughout the year………

Back