Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers vs. whitesox Game Thread August 13

I don't no if anyone notice but at least what I saw when Max was facing Fatty, Konerko and Garcia, each time he got a head in the count he was going outside - eventually it was going to back fire. And Garcia knew the pitch was going out side. Max needs to work inside a bit more in those situations..

I don't no if anyone notice but at least what I saw when Max was facing Fatty, Konerko and Garcia, each time he got a head in the count he was going outside - eventually it was going to back fire. And Garcia knew the pitch was going out side. Max needs to work inside a bit more in those situations..

The catcher calls the pitches, Pena needed to adjust. He didn't, hence why some of us think he's not so good at handling the pitching staff.

Last edited:
The catcher calls the pitches, Pena needed to adjust. He didn't, hence why some of us think he's not so good at handling the pitching staff.

Part of it yeah but I bet Leyland has a say and of course Max could have shook his head..nonetheless that triple was bound to happen.

Leyland: (re Miggy) that was his shin more than the stomach situation- on the 1B slide.

Bryan Holoday to catch tomorrow.

Figures. 3 of Holaday's starts came with Porcello. All 3 losses.

16.3 IP 27 H 16 ER 4 BB 9 SO 8.82 ERA 1.90 WHIP

The other start was with Verlander:

5.0 IP 7 H 4 ER 3 BB 4 SO

But it doesn't matter who catches.

Records for Catchers starting:

Avila 49-24 .671

Pena 19-22 .463

Holaday 1-3 .250

Avila 60-47 .561

Laird 26-25 .510

Holaday 1-2 .333

Santos 1-2 .333

Santos 4-2 .667

Avila 80-55 .593

Martinez 13-13 .500

2011-Present

Avila 189-126 .600

Everyone Else 65-69 .485

Nope, our latest losing and why certain pitchers aren't doing well has nothing to do with the catcher.

Last edited:
Pena is just a bad catcher. It seems like he calls for too many breaking balls and can't block them when they hit the dirt. I've seen more runners move up on a wild pitch/passed ball in the past 3 games than I've seen all year with Avila.

I went to bed after Miggy struck out in the bottom of the 7th. It looks like I missed the retourn of the old Bondo!

It's pretty pathetic when we have to say we need a sub .200 hitter back but it's true!

I dont really care if he only hits .150, he handles the pitching staff so well we can afford to have him in the lineup. The alternatives are much worse.

Back