Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Time to reset?

Here is my reset (won't be popular)

1) Trade Miggy to the Mets for Harvey, Duda & 1 minor league player. Harvey is rumored to be on the market.

2) Sign Mike Leake or Marco Estrada to a 4 year deal

3) Sign Jayson Heyward to 4 year deal (26 so he may want to hit FA again before 31)

4) Sign 3 relief pitchers including O'Day

5) Sign Ben Zobrist

6) Catcher is still a problem. Best answer is probably Avila & McCann on a TRUE LH/RH platoon.

2013-2015 Away xFIP (131 qualify with 150 IP)

7. M. Scherzer 2.95
9. D. Price 3.06
14. M. Harvey 3.24
18. Z. Greinke 3.34
19. H. Iwakama 3.36
21. J. Zimmeramn 3.39
22. D. Smyly 3.40
25. A. Sanchez 3.45
28. J. Verlander 3.55

31. J. Samardzija 3.59
37. M. Latos 3.65
41. R. Porcello 3.68
42. J. Cueto 3.68
53. J. Lackey 3.83
54. Y. Gallardo 3.84
57. D. Gee 3.85
60. B. Colon 3.87

61. M. Leake 3.88
63. S. Kazmir 3.91
66. J. Masterson 3.92
67. T. Hudson 3.93
71. D. Haren 3.99
72. T. Cahill 4.00
73. E. Jackson 4.02
75. D. Fister 4.05

77. T. Lincecum 4.08
78. I. Kennedy 4.08
83. J.A. Happ 4.15
90. W. Chen 4.20

95. M. Buehrle 4.23
103. K. Lohse 4.29
105. M. Estrada 4.32
106. B. Norris 4.32
111. J. Williams 4.43
119. K. Kendrick 4.57

122. R.A. Dickey 4.60
124. A. Harang 4.61
126 R. Vogelsong 4.64
**128 A. Simon 4.65
129. M. Pelfrey 4.73

Here is my reset (won't be popular)

1) Trade Miggy to the Mets for Harvey, Duda & 1 minor league player. Harvey is rumored to be on the market.

2) Sign Mike Leake or Marco Estrada to a 4 year deal

3) Sign Jayson Heyward to 4 year deal (26 so he may want to hit FA again before 31)

4) Sign 3 relief pitchers including O'Day

5) Sign Ben Zobrist

6) Catcher is still a problem. Best answer is probably Avila & McCann on a TRUE LH/RH platoon.

Why would the Mets do that? Especially no DH for his later years.

well...the people that don't want to trade Miggy say he is the best hitter on the planet and worth every penny. Why wouldn't the Mets want him?

Not the way it works. And he is great. The Mets are already a playoff team. Makes no sense.

Not the way it works. And he is great. The Mets are already a playoff team. Makes no sense.

I am just using the some of the same logic that some of the Tiger fans use for the positives that Miggy brings to a team.

Mets don't have an offensive star. Stars work in NY. He puts butts in the seats. He sells jerseys.

Just because the Mets made the playoffs doesn't mean they don't want to improve...right? If they are considering trading Harvey anyway...wouldn't their offense be better with Miggy vs Duda?

I am just using the some of the same logic that some of the Tiger fans use for the positives that Miggy brings to a team.

Mets don't have an offensive star. Stars work in NY. He puts butts in the seats. He sells jerseys.

Just because the Mets made the playoffs doesn't mean they don't want to improve...right? If they are considering trading Harvey anyway...wouldn't their offense be better with Miggy vs Duda?

Maybe I should clarify.. I wouldn't do it. Nonetheless, Older stars don't usually get traded from players already performing at the ML level.

Maybe I should clarify.. I wouldn't do it. Nonetheless, Older stars don't usually get traded from players already performing at the ML level.

I know it rarely happens. But that plan would make the Tigers better. Harvey, Duda and Heyward > Miggy.

Just my plan...no chance it happens.

You're missing the part where Miggy is owed over 200M and the Mets are notoriously cheap team since the Wilpon mess. Tigers would have to eat have of his salary before they consider it.

The biggest contract traded was A Rod in his prime when he was the best player in baseball at the time. Rangers still had to eat a 3rd of his 200M contract and all they got in return was Alphonso Soriano

The Tigers need 6 things to be in contention next year

Need 4 pitchers (one front line starter, one high caliber righty and one lefty from the pen, and a second starter).

Need for the team to return healthy in Spring.
Need some of the prospects and young players to continue to develop (pitchers Norris/Boyd/Lobstien/Greene/Fulmer (Ryan and Farmer in the pen), fielders Castellanos, McCann, Gose, Iglesias, Collins).

This does not seem like an impossible goal. If Two of those 5 starters listed can make the starting lineup, if Ryan and Farmer both can be good in the pen.
If Castellanos continues from where he left off (as he did at the start of this season from the end of last season), if McCann and Iglesias at least stay the same (I'd expect plate improvement from one and defense improvement form the other), if Gose can improve at the plate as he seemed to, and on the base paths as he seemed to start to do at the end, and Collins can get a little better, then the Tigers will be very dangerous. If half that happens they will be competitive.

I do not see them at a blow it up position.

Last edited:
Gotta ask Reb. You're the GM. What would you do this offseason?

I trade anything I can to get whatever I can. J.D. would be at the top of the list of who I would trade that would net a fair return.

We need a at least 2 starters, 2-3 bullpen arms, a 3B, a CF, a LF and a C before we could reasonably expect to contend for a WS title. That is a lot to ask and throwing money at it only creates a greater hole when we do "retool".

We are at least 5 years away from serious contention. Thinking otherwise just prolongs the rebuilding. If we do it now, we could be competitive by 2019 or 2020 and with luck, as soon as 2018.

We don't need a LH BP arm. Just get good BP arms, regardless their handiness. It seems like all I hear is get a lefty, and it hasn't worked out ever. Just get a good arm.

We don't need a LH BP arm. Just get good BP arms, regardless their handiness. It seems like all I hear is get a lefty, and it hasn't worked out ever. Just get a good arm.

I agree.

We need one LOOGY. Whether that is Hardy or Krol, I could care less. We have Joe Mantiply and Tyler Ford who could be promoted and could do a good job in that role.

Norris, Boyd, Lobstein and Ryan are all viable LH BP arms. 2-3 of these will not last as a MLB starter and could become viable BP arms.

We have far greater concerns/weaknesses than who the LH BP pitchers are.

I trade anything I can to get whatever I can. J.D. would be at the top of the list of who I would trade that would net a fair return.

We need a at least 2 starters, 2-3 bullpen arms, a 3B, a CF, a LF and a C before we could reasonably expect to contend for a WS title. That is a lot to ask and throwing money at it only creates a greater hole when we do "retool".

We are at least 5 years away from serious contention. Thinking otherwise just prolongs the rebuilding. If we do it now, we could be competitive by 2019 or 2020 and with luck, as soon as 2018.

Thanks for the reply Reb. I couldn't agree more. I fear however that because they might be afraid of losing some of the fan base they won't make any drastic moves. Your right about JD as well his stock is never going to be higher. I was hoping with the supposed hiring of I think they said 4 saber guys they were starting to figure things out. I don't think I've been this low about an offseason in more than a decade

I agree.

We need one LOOGY. Whether that is Hardy or Krol, I could care less. We have Joe Mantiply and Tyler Ford who could be promoted and could do a good job in that role.

Norris, Boyd, Lobstein and Ryan are all viable LH BP arms. 2-3 of these will not last as a MLB starter and could become viable BP arms.

We have far greater concerns/weaknesses than who the LH BP pitchers are.
We should be looking at
O'Day and Bastardo. Those two guys would improve our bullpen.

I would look at either Leake or Latos but I think Leake is the better fit.

I think we need a flexible, low cost, under the radar guy like Stubbs in the OF. Let Collins start everyday in LF and see what he can do.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

We should be looking at
O'Day and Bastardo. Those two guys would improve our bullpen.

I would look at either Leake or Latos but I think Leake is the better fit.

I think we need a flexible, low cost, under the radar guy like Stubbs in the OF. Let Collins start everyday in LF and see what he can do.

last 3 years away Stubbs has a .278 OBP.

last 3 years away Stubbs has a .278 OBP.
In the context if we signed the guys mentioned, he could be valuable and reasonable platoon guy in the OF, cheaper than Davis.

In the context if we signed the guys mentioned, he could be valuable and reasonable platoon guy in the OF, cheaper than Davis.

They need to add somebody that can hit and get on base at a reasonable rate at least one of the following positions.

C
LF
CF
3B

Back