Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Today's example of Christians behaving badly

Hughes, your objections lack critical thinking, despite the level of criticism.

Saying God saved demar hamlin is critical thinking? I mean I saw a bunch of bills and Bengals healthcare professionals bring him back to life. How very short sighted to think God saved him... lacks critical thinking.

There's no better example of lacking critical thinking than religion. I'm sure you've read the Bible. The supposed word of God and half of it is bullshit. Alot of it stolen from ancient sumerians among others. Talking snakes. It's the lord of the rings of its time and people kill each other over it. Where's the critical thinking in that?

Critical thinking.... like the fact there's a million different religions which inherently means they are all false. That doesn't take much critical thinking to understand. It's a measure of control. One much more devastating than the media that everyone wants to freak out about.

Last edited:
It isn?t critical thinking to make the assumption that Audrey?s Christian upbringing motivated this.

Could it have been, or partly? Maybe - she did target the parochial school.

On the other hand it could have been ?gender transition? hormone therapy.

She contacted a women she had played basketball at the school with to tell her she was going to die that day.

She apparently had enjoyed her time playing basketball there.

Maybe she thought the school would be a comfortable place to die.

If that?s the case, too bad she didn?t go there and turn a gun on herself.

Life has its ups and down for ?normal? people, whatever normal that means.

It must be hard for people so ?different? who believe, for whatever, they?re the opposite gender.

Apparently there?s some kind of ?manifesto? the police I understand are keeping under wraps.

Maybe, hopefully, we can learn something from that to help prevent tragedies like this in the future.

A little more about Audrey and her time at the school.

Last edited:
Saying God saved demar hamlin is critical thinking? I mean I saw a bunch of bills and Bengals healthcare professionals bring him back to life. How very short sighted to think God saved him... lacks critical thinking.

There's no better example of lacking critical thinking than religion. I'm sure you've read the Bible. The supposed word of God and half of it is bullshit. Alot of it stolen from ancient sumerians among others. Talking snakes. It's the lord of the rings of its time and people kill each other over it. Where's the critical thinking in that?

Critical thinking.... like the fact there's a million different religions which inherently means they are all false. That doesn't take much critical thinking to understand. It's a measure of control. One much more devastating than the media that everyone wants to freak out about.

Don?t pay attention to the false prophets. Everyone knows Demar Hamlin?s heart was exploded by the COVID vaccine and the vaccine people have been parading around his body double ever since.

MH, you're a good guy and I like and respect you. I don't agree much with your opinions, but that's a minor obstacle, if one at all.

I'll just say it takes a lot of effort and residual resolve to even make the attempt to be a virtuous man, knowing that the struggle is, in itself, virtuous. And the harder one tries, the more determined the Evil One gets in interfering with this. Which is why we we need God to win that "race," as St. Paul wrote. I choose to substitute my will for His. All that means is that I'll take what He offers and provides me, good and bad, in order to follow His two greatest commandments: Know and love Him with all my mind, soul, heart, and spirit, and love my neighbor as myself. Who is my neighbor? Presently, you are. Otherwise, anyone I encounter or regard.

My comment on the "million different religions" would be "they are all false" or only one is right. I choose that only one is right, because it was established by Jesus, on the Cross.

I challenge you to consider that God is real and see what happens next.

Friend of mine is a doctor (but not a surgeon), and he has a burning hatred for surgeons, who he contends have over-inflated egos.

He told me he once heard a surgeon say, in response to him overhearing some lady praying for her loved one to survive some sort of traumatic accident "You know, people pray to God, but I'm the one down here actually saving lives."

I thought that was awesome.

Friend of mine is a doctor (but not a surgeon), and he has a burning hatred for surgeons, who he contends have over-inflated egos.

Surgeons who have operated on me all seemed rather humble. Maybe I was lucky.

He told me he once heard a surgeon say, in response to him overhearing some lady praying for her loved one to survive some sort of traumatic accident "You know, people pray to God, but I'm the one down here actually saving lives."

I thought that was awesome.

That?s a documented fact. Don?t you watch hospital dramas on television?

That said, no surgeon would care what your friend thinks. The surgeon?s attitude would be ?if he was as good of a doctor as I am, he would be a surgeon.?

That?s a documented fact. Don?t you watch hospital dramas on television?

No, I don't. I'd rather watch paint dry.

That said, no surgeon would care what your friend thinks. The surgeon?s attitude would be ?if he was as good of a doctor as I am, he would be a surgeon.?

True. My friend is due to have surgery himself for some moderate issues soon, and I'm sure he'll keep his opinions to himself in the OR, and/or pre-OP if he's going under for the procedure

MH, you're a good guy and I like and respect you. I don't agree much with your opinions, but that's a minor obstacle, if one at all.

I'll just say it takes a lot of effort and residual resolve to even make the attempt to be a virtuous man, knowing that the struggle is, in itself, virtuous. And the harder one tries, the more determined the Evil One gets in interfering with this. Which is why we we need God to win that "race," as St. Paul wrote. I choose to substitute my will for His. All that means is that I'll take what He offers and provides me, good and bad, in order to follow His two greatest commandments: Know and love Him with all my mind, soul, heart, and spirit, and love my neighbor as myself. Who is my neighbor? Presently, you are. Otherwise, anyone I encounter or regard.

My comment on the "million different religions" would be "they are all false" or only one is right. I choose that only one is right, because it was established by Jesus, on the Cross.

I challenge you to consider that God is real and see what happens next.

Everyone is different...I do respect that. But the hope is everyone has an underlying traits of being good and kind. Some people point to religion to instill those morals and ethics. Some would say you can and should be inherently good with or without religion... because youre part of being human and we're all in this together.

I actually grew up as an alter boy in the catholic church. I do remember feeling like I had to be good cause god was watching... kind of a fear approach to being good. Now having a 10 yr old kid im seeing you can get the same thing from having a Mexican wife/mother. God can't put the fear of God into my daughter more than my wife can lol.

In my older years I have a hard time giving credit to god... when its usually people that deserve the credit.

Hypothetical question. Let's say aliens visit and show us our true history. They confirm there is a creator/god and show us that aliens visited earth 10000 years ago and manipulated the brains in Neanderthals so that humans could evolve. Who is it that we should worship? The creator that made all things possible but maybe doesn't really care what happens or quite possibly did nothing to ensure our existence. Or the aliens that ensured our evolution?

Last edited:
Robes must have not been a good look on me...I never got molested.

Me either.

I was an alter boy, I guess since my time girls have started doing it too and it?s called something else since then.

I was kind of resentful that I had been volunteered to do it, but then something funny happened?it was better than just sitting out there in a pew. It was like being part of the show.

Me either.

I was an alter boy, I guess since my time girls have started doing it too and it?s called something else since then.

I was kind of resentful that I had been volunteered to do it, but then something funny happened?it was better than just sitting out there in a pew. It was like being part of the show.

Except when you had to follow the fucking priest with his branch flinging water all over you on every back swing.

Everyone is different...I do respect that. But the hope is everyone has an underlying traits of being good and kind. Some people point to religion to instill those morals and ethics. Some would say you can and should be inherently good with or without religion... because youre part of being human and we're all in this together.

I actually grew up as an alter boy in the catholic church. I do remember feeling like I had to be good cause god was watching... kind of a fear approach to being good. Now having a 10 yr old kid im seeing you can get the same thing from having a Mexican wife/mother. God can't put the fear of God into my daughter more than my wife can lol.

In my older years I have a hard time giving credit to god... when its usually people that deserve the credit.

Hypothetical question. Let's say aliens visit and show us our true history. They confirm there is a creator/god and show us that aliens visited earth 10000 years ago and manipulated the brains in Neanderthals so that humans could evolve. Who is it that we should worship? The creator that made all things possible but maybe doesn't really care what happens or quite possibly did nothing to ensure our existence. Or the aliens that ensured our evolution?

I don't know where this idea that the default position or disposition of human beings is moral or peaceful. There's almost zero evidence to support that. The idea that religion, like anything else has been corrupted by humans doesn't make the institution itself evil or discredit the fact that modern morals came from the teachings of Christ and the Church that he built.

Last edited:

I think it's way more complex than that. "Be still and know there is a God" is a phrase I reflect on often.

There's a reason why the 4th Commandment comes after the first three that establish our relationship with God.

I think that all things are possible through Him.

Perhaps, hypothetically, God orchestrated that, since He also created the "aliens." And I reject the notion that God "doesn't care."

Why certain dioceses were rife with this heinous abuse (Baltimore, Boston, Pittsburgh, Newark, San Francisco (the anguish of that particular diocese, so named)), as others were not, is something to investigate.

Man is broken, and the Church, in the time frame where abuse was most prevalent (and least "exposed") was infested with unholy men posing as priests with the intent to "prey" on innocent youth. Why the Church admitted these men is another matter to "scrape to the bottom of the pot."

Final judgement is not our responsibility. However, there is this, from Jesus' own mouth, from the Gospel According to Matthew:

"But he that shall scandalize one of these little ones that believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone should be hanged about his neck, and that he should be drowned in the depth of the sea."​

This similar passage is in all three synoptic Gospels. (Matthew, Mark, and Luke).

The very notion of myself in a state of mortal sin is terrifying. Many people struggle with a particular sin, and go to confession with the sincere and earnest intention of "sinning no more," and that's another subset. No virtuous person knowingly and repeatedly places themselves in such a state, or in the environment that puts them in the occasion of sin. Priests who did so to this degree were never in the priesthood to lead souls to Heaven. Which, then, more disturbingly, reinforces the earlier point about their presence as priests and their ordination.

Other great saints have reformed the Church in the past when it has strayed from the narrow path. St. Augustine (himself no chaste man for much of his adult life), St. Charles Borromeo, and St. John Vianney come to mind.

Here's a transcription of a homily by a priest in Minnesota on the subject, delivered on 8/19/2018. Link

He has been censured by the Archdiocese of Minneapolis for his outspokenness on the Archdiocese's "solution" to prevent further sexual abuse. Link

As there are men who abused their station, there are also virtuous men who continue to uphold it.

Last edited:
Why certain dioceses were rife with this heinous abuse (Baltimore, Boston, Pittsburgh, Newark, San Francisco (the anguish of that particular diocese, so named)), as others were not, is something to investigate.

Man is broken, and the Church, in the time frame where abuse was most prevalent (and least "exposed") was infested with unholy men posing as priests with the intent to "prey" on innocent youth. Why the Church admitted these men is another matter to "scrape to the bottom of the pot."

Final judgement is not our responsibility. However, there is this, from Jesus' own mouth, from the Gospel According to Matthew:

"But he that shall scandalize one of these little ones that believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone should be hanged about his neck, and that he should be drowned in the depth of the sea."​

This similar passage is in all three synoptic Gospels. (Matthew, Mark, and Luke).

The very notion of myself in a state of mortal sin is terrifying. Many people struggle with a particular sin, and go to confession with the sincere and earnest intention of "sinning no more," and that's another subset. No virtuous person knowingly and repeatedly places themselves in such a state, or in the environment that puts them in the occasion of sin. Priests who did so to this degree were never in the priesthood to lead souls to Heaven. Which, then, more disturbingly, reinforces the earlier point about their presence as priests and their ordination.

Other great saints have reformed the Church in the past when it has strayed from the narrow path. St. Augustine (himself no chaste man for much of his adult life), St. Charles Borromeo, and St. John Vianney come to mind.

Here's a transcription of a homily by a priest in Minnesota on the subject, delivered on 8/19/2018. Link

He has been censured by the Archdiocese of Minneapolis for his outspokenness on the Archdiocese's "solution" to prevent further sexual abuse. Link

As there are men who abused their station, there are also virtuous men who continue to uphold it.

Again... we seem to give all the credit to god when literally anything happens that's good. But just chalk it up to humans being broken when something bad happens. I just can't get around to backing that.

If he does care as much as you say he does I think he could do a little more than just send 1 guy down from space 2000+ years ago.

Now you have religions left making their own rules... making all these interpretations. It's simply not gods word anymore and no one really knows if it ever was cause all we have to go by is 4 white dudes Matthew mark Paul john were somehow buddies with a Mexican named Jesus smack dab in the middle of Arab nations back when they didn't have much means of documenting anything.

If you don't want to give the world Jesus II just send an Angel down to do a quick YouTube video. Is that too hard for a creator of multiverses?

I think it quite obviously points to it (Creator) not caring or it not having a conscience.

Last edited:
Back