Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Today's Good Old American mass shooting brought to you by...

My favorites:

Woman: "Talk to me like an equal. We're partners here. I want to be part of the planning process."
Man: "Okay, here's how much money we have, here's what we make each month, and here's our budget. I think we can spend $XYZ/month, and still have some savings left over for emergencies, vacations, etc. So that means we can afford a house that costs $XYZ."
Woman: "Okay, I agree with that. So I am only willing to buy a house that costs AT LEAST $100,000 more than XYZ."
Man: :hmm:

or

Woman: "We need to start saving money so we can [insert major purchase here]. I think we should look at our monthly budget and see if we can put off some other things right now."
Man: "Okay."

1 day later...

Woman: "I NEED a trip to [the beach/the mountains] this weekend. We have to go to [the beach/the mountains] this weekend."
Man: "What about the conversation we just had about agreeing to not spend more money for a bit?"
Woman: "It's unfair for you to bring that up, you don't know what I'm going through ,and bla bla bla, emotional appeals to bullshit and laundry lists of perceived problems"

Wait, you're saying there's a difference between men and women? Hogwash! Next thing you'll be telling us is there's gender based physiological differences that would impact things like strength and athletic ability and that men shouldn't be allowed to compete in women's sports. I hope someone censors you before that happens - there's no room for that anti-social science bigotry here!

Still, this is a pretty misogynistic rant - you might need to brush up on the latest gender studies findings.

Last edited:
Wait, you're saying there's a difference between men and women? Hogwash! Next thing you'll be telling us is there's gender based physiological differences that would impact things like strength and athletic ability and that men shouldn't be allowed to compete in women's sports. I hope someone censors you before that happens - there's no room for that anti-social science bigotry here!

Still, this is a pretty misogynistic rant - you might need to brush up on the latest gender studies findings.

Yeah... but get this! It still doesn't make me want to bully transgender kids, or deny women control over their own bodies, because I'm not a total shitstain of a person!

Dumbass dad brings gun to school, presumably to "protect kids" - violating school policy as no guns are allowed on the premises - and shoots himself in the leg.

Under Spartanmack logic, this unintentional shooting only occurred because the school is a gun free zone. It would be better if it was a... gun zone? Mandatory gun zone?

Certainly, the only reasonable conclusion is MORE unskilled, untrained, retarded Americans (all are redundant modifiers) should carry guns into schools. That's what's needed to keep us safe from not only intentional shooters, but unintentional shootings as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Turns out, Robb Elementary School had implemented all the technical and security recommendations Gov. Abbott's office recommended after the last major school shooting here (2018), and they all didn't do shit, except make a bunch of assholes, presumably politically connected to Abbott, a bunch of money:
UCISD didn?t adopt its new measures in a vacuum. The district implemented them not long after a 2018 shooting in Santa Fe, Texas that killed eight high school students and two teachers. In the wake of the massacre, Gov. Greg Abbott passed new legislation and published a 40-page list of recommendations to enhance school safety. The list, among other things, included using technology to ?prevent attacks.? The governor also recommended increasing the number of police officers at schools, deepening ties between local law enforcement and school districts, and providing better mental health resources for students.

But during a press conference Wednesday, Steve McGraw, director of the Texas Department of Public Safety admitted that security measures had failed to offer the protections they were supposed to: ?Obviously, this is a situation where we failed in the sense that we didn?t prevent this mass attack,? he said.

OBVIOUSLY!

I could probably guess why: all these security firms are founded by scumbag former cops or military dipshits, looking to make an easy buck. None of them implement actual "boots on the ground"... because that would mean hiring people to monitor and actually use their software, which would = LESS PROFIT.

So you have shitty software packages and social media monitoring, that no one monitors, no one implements correctly, but they make sure the boxes are checked that it's done, and they collect their wad of cash and go out and hit the strip clubs...

And Uvalde itself spent 40% of it's budget on police, and had a fucking armored car, and a full dozen-member SWAT team, but all that was useless against an 18-year-old twerp with the same assault rifle they all carried themselves.

These school districts would be better served hiring more teachers (at least they feel duty bound to protect their kids, unless the chickenshit cops), and counselors/school pyschologists.

But... you know... less profit for greedheads then.

Yeah... but get this! It still doesn't make me want to bully transgender kids, or deny women control over their own bodies, because I'm not a total shitstain of a person!

can you name anyone who wants to or has bullied transgender kids? or denied women control over their own bodies? Protecting biological women from men taking their opportunities, violating their private spaces, etc isn't bullying transgender kids and not granting women a special exemption from murder isn't denying them control of their bodies.

It's amazing how hard you try to grant yourself the moral high ground - and how consistently you fail.

Last edited:
Dumbass dad brings gun to school, presumably to "protect kids" - violating school policy as no guns are allowed on the premises - and shoots himself in the leg.

Under Spartanmack logic, this unintentional shooting only occurred because the school is a gun free zone. It would be better if it was a... gun zone? Mandatory gun zone?

You're the one who said gun free zones cause shootings - I've said nothing remotely close to that. It's almost as if you have to make up arguments in order to win an argument - actually it's not almost as if, it's exactly that. You know you can't win on the merit or your argument so instead you intentionally misrepresent the opposing view, then try to beat that argument. Even then you often fail. It's pretty desperate and pathetic, but not at all surprising.

Certainly, the only reasonable conclusion is MORE unskilled, untrained, retarded Americans (all are redundant modifiers) should carry guns into schools. That's what's needed to keep us safe from not only intentional shooters, but unintentional shootings as well.

Again, this is a complete straw man. It's not even close to the only or even my first or preferred solution. See my previous post where I proposed following the Israeli model by securing schools and possibly having trained armed security. I'm not against allowing school staff to be armed but they're not my first or second line of defense here and I'm definitely not for requiring it. Of course you hate Israel because you're a bigot who prefers terroristic theocracies to democracy and freedom because of Jews so automatically, you're against anything they do.

Last edited:
I would be on board with raising the age limit to purchase semi auto's to 21 the ave male brain does not complete full development until 25.

Neuroscientists are confirming what car rental places already figured out ? the brain doesn't fully mature until age 25. Up until this age, the prefrontal cortex ? the part of the brain that helps curb impulsive behavior ? is not yet fully developed.

Let's start with 21, the majority of have been committed by under 21's

Well, my conservative Republican friend, the House today passed a bill raising the minimum age to purchase such a weapon to age 21 in the United States.

Not expected to pass the Senate.

I also think such laws passed by various states have been ruled unconstitutional.

Perhaps HOR legislators were swayed and moved by the words of Academy Award winning actor Matthew McConaughey.

it's really surprising that there are like multiple mass shootings every day in America now.

I mean... WOW, like who could have predicted this outcome?!?!

Turns out, Robb Elementary School had implemented all the technical and security recommendations Gov. Abbott's office recommended after the last major school shooting here (2018), and they all didn't do shit, except make a bunch of assholes, presumably politically connected to Abbott, a bunch of money

You sure about that? Didn't the shooter walk in through a door that was not only not locked but propped open? I'd be pretty surprised if leaving unlocked doors propped open was among the technical and security recommendations for securing schools.

You sure about that? Didn't the shooter walk in through a door that was not only not locked but propped open? I'd be pretty surprised if leaving unlocked doors propped open was among the technical and security recommendations for securing schools.

I think it probably wouldn?t have been.

Maybe that teacher was outside sneaking a smoke during that part of the training.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LyUqaoyVjKU

from what I heard a teacher in the school opened the door to get some food delivered and when it closed it didn't latch. In the school system that we live in, the only way in or out of every school is through one designated door. The office has to buzz the person in. I'm sure that most schools in the country are very similar. I would bet that the teacher was not supposed to take an Uber Eats delivery through a side door.

maybe we should cut teacher pay even further and spend billions more on security systems that can be defeated by a door not closing properly. and also give cops raises, so they can make more money standing around while kids get murdered

from what I heard a teacher in the school opened the door to get some food delivered and when it closed it didn't latch. In the school system that we live in, the only way in or out of every school is through one designated door. The office has to buzz the person in. I'm sure that most schools in the country are very similar. I would bet that the teacher was not supposed to take an Uber Eats delivery through a side door.

I just did a quick Bing search for "how did Uvalde shooter gain access." This piece from NPR says the teacher left the building to get her cell phone and propped the door open.

McCraw also provided more information about how the shooter was able to gain access to the building: A teacher left the school to get her cell phone when she heard the nearby car crash and shots, but then as she re-entered, she propped the door open. The gunman had been hiding behind a car nearby, he said.

Here's another piece from SK Pop, (whatever that is) that quotes CNN reporting pretty much the same thing...

CNN reported that the unnamed teacher had opened a locked door after seeing the gunman enter the premises. The teacher then went to call 911, leaving the door open. Former Robb Elementary school principal, Ross McGlothlin, told the CNN newsroom that it was unusual for the door to be open.

Those pieces are dated 5/27 & 5/28 and are the top results from a search I did just now. I can't find anything more recent or that contradicts the "propped open" claim but I have heard/seen that details from early reporting changed quite a bit as updates came out (like the timeline of police action, etc).

Last edited:
I just did a quick Bing search for "how did Uvalde shooter gain access." This piece from NPR says the teacher left the building to get her cell phone and propped the door open.

Here's another piece from SK Pop, (whatever that is) that quotes CNN reporting pretty much the same thing...

Those pieces are dated 5/27 & 5/28 and are the top results from a search I did just now. I can't find anything more recent or that contradicts the "propped open" claim and I have heard/seen that details from early reporting changed quite a bit as updates came out (like the timeline of police action, etc).

so basically, he got in because the teacher had to go out to her car to get a cell phone

so basically, he got in because the teacher had to go out to her car to get a cell phone

something like that - one of those pieces says she saw the armed guy get out of his crashed car and went to get her phone to call 911. Why she would prop the door open is beyond me but according to MC if they paid her more she would have known to not prop the door open - a higher salary and better benefits would have been more effective than installing locks on the doors.

Last edited:

That's been debunked. The door was propped open, but the teacher went and closed it when gun fire erupted outside. She assumed the door locked automatically, it didn't.

maybe we should cut teacher pay even further and spend billions more on security systems that can be defeated by a door not closing properly. and also give cops raises, so they can make more money standing around while kids get murdered

I don?t know what universe that?s happening in, but it ain?t happening in the world where I live.

Teachers

School police

I don?t know if teachers in that little podunk Texas town have had a recent pay cut or not. The police there got some ?splainin? to do, regardless of how much they?ve been getting paid recently.

That's been debunked. The door was propped open, but the teacher went and closed it when gun fire erupted outside. She assumed the door locked automatically, it didn't.

do you have a source for that? All I've seen with any detail are the two pieces I posted from 5/27 & 5/28.

do you have a source for that? All I've seen with any detail are the two pieces I posted from 5/27 & 5/28.

here you go:

The Texas Department of Public Safety said Uvalde school district?s police chief Pete Arredondo, who made the decision to wait for more resources rather than confront the gunman sooner, has stopped cooperating with state investigators and had not responded to requests for information for over two days. Arredondo contests the claim.

And the agency walked back an assertion that a teacher at Robb Elementary School propped open a back door prior to the shooting, allowing the gunman to enter and kill 19 students and two teachers. Earlier Tuesday the teacher?s lawyer had pushed back on the state?s account.
?She remembers pulling the door closed while telling 911 that he was shooting,? Don Flanary, the teacher?s lawyer, told the Express-News. ?She thought the door would lock because that door is always supposed to be locked.?​

The cops walked back their statement when challenged... like most of their statements related to this one.

Sad you need an attorney even when you didn't commit a crime now, when dealing with the cops even as a potential victim of a mass shooting.

Back