Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Took advantage of this season's ticket abundance

MAIZEandBLUE09

Since the ticket office keeps spamming me, and everyone else who has an e-mail address they know, trying to buy tickets I decided to e-mail them to ask if they have any tickets open next to me. Sure enough, there was two tickets open right next to my current seats so I snatched them up. Pretty excited about it, despite how terrible the schedule is this year.

I am also very excited for you, and I speak for the rest of the board as well when I say that.

I am also very excited for you, and I speak for the rest of the board as well when I say that.

haha. Though, it felt kind of sucky to, once again, hand over $900 for this season's schedule. But I imagine this will be a good investment to see some great games in future ones.

To me, no college sporting event is worth that kind of money to witness in person.

To me, no college sporting event is worth that kind of money to witness in person.

It's really only about $65 a ticket when you break it down. But that's still pretty darn high for the games you get to see this year. But Dave Brandon is certainly pushing the limits on what you can charge for the product we are seeing on the field against the teams we're seeing on the field.

I just can't imagine anyone would want to go to a baseball game over a college football game. I'd rather go to an Indiana game in Indiana than any MLB game.

I don't even go to very many MLB games either (about one Tigers game a year). I like the college football atmosphere (tailgating, etc) but going to the games are over rated to me. Too crowded, uncomfortable seats, long lines for bathrooms, can't even have a beer. Football is much better on TV in my man cave. I actually go to more Toledo Mud Hens games than any other sporting event. Great seats, no lines and a good family environment. We go more to get out and enjoy the people we go with more than the product on the field. I have several friends that have season tickets to UM, father in law has them to MSU and I almost never go. A good friend of mine used to work for the Lions and had 2 seats to each game that were mine if I wanted since he couldn't use them and I only took him up on it once for the Bears Monday night game.

I went to every Denver Broncos home game (10-1) last fall - pre-season/post-season - and four Michigan games (2-2) including the Bowl game. Won't be doing four M games this year for many reasons, but the whole "watching at home on my TV" angle that ESPNsucks personalities have been rolling out lately (Cowherd, predominantly) is bullshit.

Sure 72" HDTVs have changed the TV watching experience and yes, there is no line at your home bathroom and you can smoke cigarettes whenever you want ...

But there's nothing like being AT the game when it's Roundtree catching that GW pass vs. ND or Manningham catching that pass with :01 left vs. PSU ...or watching Peyton Manning matriculate the team down the field.

Brandon may run into price ceilings or fan revolt for ticket pricing, but if we're really headed in the direction ESPN seems to want us to head in, why not just eliminate all teams and games and run simulated computer games?!

And I understand that a Dad taking his kid to a NY Jets game ...or anyone daring to bring a kid to Oakland Alameda Coliseum is running the risk of a beer or puke-covered and otherwise miserable experience, but then again, football games were never as much "family events" as a day at the old ballfield has become over the decades.

Cost is cost and the unfortunate thing for all "normal" fans is that corporate seats are driving up prices and driving out everyday folks and its happening at both college and Pro levels and across all sports.

DU Hockey games are much better than NHL Avs games ...cheaper tickets, less rock-and-roll blaring for no reason and non-existent beer lines (yes, you can drink beer at DU college hockey games).

Last edited:
Wins cost money, get used to it. I pay about $3000 for hoops and football tickets, shit isn't cheap

Wins cost money, get used to it. I pay about $3000 for hoops and football tickets, shit isn't cheap

Basketball is different for me. I find myself content attending a few games per year (now that they are good). I still don't find basketball super entertaining but it's always fun to win big time games in pretty much any sport.

But as Vic pointed out above, there's something that just can't be had by watching the game on TV. What's strange is that I find watching it on TV to be more stressful. Every play there's a commercial and the announcers just sway to whatever team is looking better. I like taking the game in without many things to cloud the viewing experience.

I don't even go to very many MLB games either (about one Tigers game a year). I like the college football atmosphere (tailgating, etc) but going to the games are over rated to me. Too crowded, uncomfortable seats, long lines for bathrooms, can't even have a beer. Football is much better on TV in my man cave. I actually go to more Toledo Mud Hens games than any other sporting event. Great seats, no lines and a good family environment. We go more to get out and enjoy the people we go with more than the product on the field. I have several friends that have season tickets to UM, father in law has them to MSU and I almost never go. A good friend of mine used to work for the Lions and had 2 seats to each game that were mine if I wanted since he couldn't use them and I only took him up on it once for the Bears Monday night game.

Man you can't beat the cheap seats of a minor league baseball game. Everything is cheaper and its great for the family. We used to have a single A team in richmond and I loved going. My little brother was always treated like royalty every time we went. Defiantly made for the family and younger kids.

You can get into the "cheap seats" at Coors Field for about $7/game and cheaper if you go on-line. And baseball stadiums are more about just hanging out than watching the game, with few exceptions (Fenway, AT&T in SF ...maybe a few others).

Watching at home is fine and all, but nothing really beats being at a game and celebrating with thousands of fellow fans.

I wish I lived closer to Ann Arbor so buying season tickets to basketball and football would actually be feasible.

I think I'm going to Michigan-ND again this year (assuming my friend gets tickets again via his law firm, which I can't imagine he wouldn't).

We also play at Northwestern again (Nice we get back-to-back home games against Minn & IU, and back-to-back road games against MSU & Nwestern...) so I might go to that because of proximity.

I want to head back to Ann Arbor for another game... not sure which one it will be. Homecoming is IU, which I really don't feel like watching. I'd rather pick one of Minnesota (HEY! the Brown Jug!), Penn St., or Maryland, just because I've never been to a Maryland sporting event, and tickets will be cheap.

I'm considering doing Maryland as well. I really want to go to the PSU game, but I imagine hotels are going to be a pain in the ass to find and ticket prices will be on gouging levels because it's the only good home game of the year.

I just can't imagine anyone would want to go to a baseball game over a college football game. I'd rather go to an Indiana game in Indiana than any MLB game.

Well then don't. Let us baseball fans make the choice. Spending $65 to be sardined into a seat has no luster for me. It was bad enough when the ticket prices were $7.00.

Back