Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Trump's VP selection

My favorite line from last night was when Trump said that immigrants were being "unleashed by the thousands into our communities" ...sort of a combined image of rabid dogs and parolees because, you know, them.

Then I find out my buddy was Don Jr's HS boarding school roommate outside Philly and in the guy's wedding!

i think there was some hope among the GOP leadership Trump would use the convention to strike a conciliatory tone or at least "moderate" some of the outright racism, xenophobia, and schoolyard bullshit out of his routine, and run an organized, professional campaign once he got the nomination.

but nope, not happening. they're all going to go down with this ship.

and outside of some rural, KKK stronghold congressional districts, it's likely Trump is going to be a drag on all GOP candidates further down the ballot.

Feels weird to say it, but George W. Bush is probably right about this.

These are crazy times but Trump's speech was scary last night. It seemed pretty isolationist to me. Reagan fans must have been cringing last night but who knows maybe that type of speech helps him. But I get worried when ultra left wing Michael Moore thinks Trump is going to win the eledtion. Knowing Clinton she will fuck her campaign up sooner or later.

we didn't get to discuss whether Laura Ingraham gave the Nazi salute to Trump yesterday, because the board was down, but I say she did.

it wasn't just an awkward moment in time captured in the screenshot... she raised her right arm and held it there for a second.

now I don't think she's actually a nazi, and Trump is not of course literally Adolf Hitler, but tweaking the American public like that, by invoking Nazi imagery, is just fucked up. and whether you gave the Nazi salute because you are a Nazi, or merely because you were joking with all your fellow white supremacists in the audience... you still gave the Nazi salute.

we didn't get to discuss whether Laura Ingraham gave the Nazi salute to Trump yesterday, because the board was down, but I say she did.

it wasn't just an awkward moment in time captured in the screenshot... she raised her right arm and held it there for a second.

now I don't think she's actually a nazi, and Trump is not of course literally Adolf Hitler, but tweaking the American public like that, by invoking Nazi imagery, is just fucked up. and whether you gave the Nazi salute because you are a Nazi, or merely because you were joking with all your fellow white supremacists in the audience... you still gave the Nazi salute.

She did. On purpose. Not because she's a Nazi. Because she wants people to have this did she/didn't she discussion. I never heard of her until she did that.

Yep.

Bad deal for Kasich; good deal for Trump.

We are really living in some fucking weird times.

I get the conjectural nature of exploring a Kasich as VP scenario, but you're talking about it like it was some likely outcome.

Here is my question - if this scenario was never really going to take place, does that statement in any way apply to "in some fucking weird times" or is that more about how we got stuck with Trump as a candidate in the first place?

As I hear the story, the only thing they really wanted from Kasich was for him to deliver Ohio using his existing network in the general election. If he wasn't doing that, and it looks like he won't do that, I highly doubt the Trump campaign had any use for him other than hypothetically exploring wild ass possibilities if he could swallow his pride.

. . . and like most politicians, the size of the ego of both of them made that possibility next to nothing. Why is that weird?

That was followed up with picture of Hilary doing the same thing. You're seeing what imagery you and the rest of the liberal media want to see so you can continue to spout drivel.

She did. On purpose. Not because she's a Nazi. Because she wants people to have this did she/didn't she discussion. I never heard of her until she did that.

So is that what Hillary was doing too?

No, of course not.

Not sure about this linking stuff, but hey, like I said above, you see what you want to see.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Hillary+Heil+hitler&rlz=1T4WQIB_enUS554US554&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjAtfW0qYfOAhXEHx4KHaKzDdYQsAQIHQ&biw=1920&bih=851

I'm ok with this. Republican party is broken. Scrap it and start over.

I wish there was a good candidate to vote for too, but think about it, could we even start talking about this if Trump didn't exist?

It is broken, but, in my opinion, putting up an establishment candidate wasn't going to fix it.

That was followed up with picture of Hilary doing the same thing. You're seeing what imagery you and the rest of the liberal media want to see so you can continue to spout drivel.

well like a said, the difference is an awkward moment in time, versus video showing her extending her arm and holding it there for a second, before waving to the crowd.

I agree with Red/Gulo; she probably did it just to tweak people. it's fucking pathetic and obviously means little in the grand scheme of things but a sign how awful this campaign and its supporters can be; they're normalizing hate speech and Nazi imagery in American political discourse.

there's an easy rule to follow here: know your history. even if youre tempted to "go there" and give a "Hitler wasn't that bad for Germany speech" just don't. he was, and the nutjobs that still support him (neo-nazis & the aryan brotherhood) are creepy and dangerous.

I wish there was a good candidate to vote for too, but think about it, could we even start talking about this if Trump didn't exist?

It is broken, but, in my opinion, putting up an establishment candidate wasn't going to fix it.

no, not fix it, but at least not normalize hate speech, and open the tent to David Duke and his ilk. look, and even other Republicans have called him out for the racist shit, so I'm not going out on a limb here.

fuckin' a.

No man. It's not the image. It's the video. There's clearly thought about how it looks involved. It looks like she did it, realized, switched to a wave, realized that wasn't a close enough gesture to cover it up, switched to elevated pointing where her eyes don't even line up with whoever she's supposed to be pointing at.

But I'm taking the next step on the skepticism ladder and saying the entire thing was an act to get her name in the paper. Clinton definitely doesn't need to do that.

It's either that or just a random slip. I'm just not buying the Nazi theories.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
well like a said, the difference is an awkward moment in time, versus video showing her extending her arm and holding it there for a second, before waving to the crowd.

I agree with Red/Gulo; she probably did it just to tweak people. it's fucking pathetic and obviously means little in the grand scheme of things but a sign how awful this campaign and its supporters can be; they're normalizing hate speech and Nazi imagery in American political discourse.

there's an easy rule to follow here: know your history. even if youre tempted to "go there" and give a "Hitler wasn't that bad for Germany speech" just don't. he was, and the nutjobs that still support him (neo-nazis & the aryan brotherhood) are creepy and dangerous.

No argument about much thee except there is no way she did it on purpose to "tweak" anyone. You are reading into it something that just isn't there. Your entire last paragraph is conjecture, and a projection of some of our own worst fears so that maybe others will believe that was her motive. I highly doubt that that was her motive.

No man. It's not the image. It's the video. There's clearly thought about how it looks involved. It looks like she did it, realized, switched to a wave, realized that wasn't a close enough gesture to cover it up, switched to elevated pointing where her eyes don't even line up with whoever she's supposed to be pointing at.

But I'm taking the next step on the skepticism ladder and saying the entire thing was an act to get her name in the paper. Clinton definitely doesn't need to do that.

It's either that or just a random slip. I'm just not buying the Nazi theories.

A random slip, as in a mistake? I don't understand how anyone can say they follow the campaigns and not know who she is, but that is another story.

No, Hillary doesn't need to do that, we know all about her from decades in the public limelight. I am not sure what that has to do with anything. You were talking about what the imagery conjures up without knowing the truth of anything. Well the imagery showing Clinton conjures up the same things in people who don't like her.

You can't stand Trump and what he stands for, so without knowing the truth of anything, you extrapolate on what you see in the imagery.

Last edited:
a sign how awful this campaign and its supporters can be; they're normalizing hate speech and Nazi imagery in American political discourse.

There's no neo-nazi vote out there to try to win. That's just crazy talk. Off your rocker, zero faith in humanity, crazy talk.

my last paragraph is conjecture? so you think neo-nazis and the aryan brotherhood might not be creepy and dangerous?

throwing up a fascist/nazi salute is okay?

At the end of the speech, the two - Trump and Pence - looked incredibly uncomfortable with one another and kept doing that weird Thumbs up and then pointing to one another ...very, very awkward white guy.

7634538-3x2-700x467.jpg

There's no neo-nazi vote out there to try to win. That's just crazy talk. Off your rocker, zero faith in humanity, crazy talk.

Uh. yes there is.

it's not very numerous, but knowing human nature and history, it never starts that way.

Back