Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Verlander Velocity Watch

tigersofjustice

I'm a little bit concerned at this point. The results are good but not quite a dominant as in recent years past. Verlander's average fastball velocity is barely over 93. He has traditionally been around 95. So far this year there is approximately a 1.6 mph drop in fastball velocity.
Hopefully it's a simple mechanical adjustment.

I'm a little bit concerned at this point. The results are good but not quite a dominant as in recent years past. Verlander's average fastball velocity is barely over 93. He has traditionally been around 95. So far this year there is approximately a 1.6 mph drop in fastball velocity.
Hopefully it's a simple mechanical adjustment.

His ERA is 1.95 His SO/9 is 9.2 (his career average is 8.4) and the second highest of his career. His BB/9 is 2.5 (2.7 career), his ERA+ is 218 (career 130).

So what results are not as dominant as recent years? And please don't say his W/L record.

There is far more to being a dominant pitcher than pure velocity, and as we all learned, Verlander actually became a better pitcher and not just a thrower when he learned when to dial it back and when to let it fly.

Last edited:
His ERA is 1.95 His SO/9 is 9.2 (his career average is 8.4) and the second highest of his career. His BB/9 is 2.5 (2.7 career), his ERA+ is 218 (career 130).

So what results are not as dominant as recent years? And please don't say his W/L record.

There is far more to being a dominant pitcher than pure velocity, and as we all learned, Verlander actually became a better pitcher and not just a thrower when he learned when to dial it back and when to let it fly.

Not to mention, this is one of the better Aprils that JV has had. Generally his Aprils are very human like, 3.65 ERA in April 2010-2012. Not concerned one bit, and to say he's not quite as dominant as recent years is pretty funny.

I read somewhere in the last couple weeks that he shut down for a month after the season to finally let his body rest. So he's probably just a month behind velocity wise.

Nothing to worry about.

He's also having his best April of his career. Not worried at all, he's 30 now, he's a better pitcher even if his velocity did go down a couple MPH. Doubt it has though, and I would bet we see 100 mph from him soon enough.

92-93-94 all fast enough, if he has movement, and ball placement.I don't know if any of you have noticed or not,He doesn't have that sharp snap on his curve either,might just be the cold weather.

Last edited:
JV learned a long time ago you don't need to throw 98. He's got great movement on his fastball and his other pitchers, for the most part, are un-hittable.

With all the innings on his arm last few years it really wouldn't be too terribly surprising if he's a little lower than normal on the velocity. Or maybe he's just trying to become an even better more complete pitcher, you don't have to throw 98+ to get hitters out, his K's are down this year as well yet his era under 2. hard to complain about that, just wish the offense would give him some more run support.

With the long and huge MM$$ contract that JV just recently signed, while being amidst his "prime" years, he and the Tigers brass may have discussed his pitching mechanics, and perhaps suggested his dialing down the velocity early in the season, in order to avoid arm stiff/soreness, or potential injury, and the amount of games pitched and innings that he logs from hereon out.

Verlander also had apparently developed a blister on the tip of his thunb which may have forced him to pitch while using a bit less than what his top velocity would have been.

The Tigers also have twice clinched over the past two years, and obviously still expect to go deeply into the postseason yet again this year, and they do not want any of their players to become fatigued in possibly very crucial series late in the season and potential postseason, and perhaps as a result, become more susceptible to sustaining injury(s)

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=8700&position=P

Swinging strike decline, LD rate up, contract rate up.

Not exactly earth shattering negatives thus far but enough to be concerned if he's going to be throwing 93 all year after they just gave him a huge extension.

I didn't watch the entire game last night. In the 7th they were saying he was hitting 97 during the game. It seemed he wasn't throwing the FB much in the 7th.

"Nine of his fastballs in the second inning were clocked at 96 mph; one touched 97." He's not losing a thing.

"Nine of his fastballs in the second inning were clocked at 96 mph; one touched 97." He's not losing a thing.

Except that his average fastball was still under 94 mph for that game. I would like to remain starry eyed and convince myself that JV hasn't lost anything but numbers don't lie. His velocity is most definitely down.

Except that his average fastball was still under 94 mph for that game. I would like to remain starry eyed and convince myself that JV hasn't lost anything but numbers don't lie. His velocity is most definitely down.

You're kidding, right? He even said "I pitched a lot last year and had to curtail (my word) it so I could be ready for a long season". He's fine and its down because he chose it to be down..

You're kidding, right? He even said "I pitched a lot last year and had to curtail (my word) it so I could be ready for a long season". He's fine and its down because he chose it to be down..

I will acknowledge it is at least possible he's intentionally not throwing as hard. But to take that as absolute fact just because you want to believe it is incredibly nieve.

http://www.freep.com/article/2013050...detroit-tigers
Tigers' Verlander not worried about talk that his velocity is down.

Link isn't working for me Kaline. That said I saw his comments. Really sounds like he's trying to convince himself he shouldn't worry about it more than anything.

He said something to the effect of that he's not going to try and throw harder because it causes mechanical problems, thereby implying that he would have to strain himself in order to regain his previous velocity levels. To me, that suggests very strongly he's not intentionally not throwing as hard.

Frankly it doesn't surprise me that he's not worried either. He's never been very into advanced metrics like say Scherzer. He doesn't know the very strong correlation between FB velocity and strikeout rates and doesn't know how strong the relationship is between K rate and fip/era. So even though he's not worried I think there's still some reason for others to be concerned.

Link isn't working for me Kaline. That said I saw his comments. Really sounds like he's trying to convince himself he shouldn't worry about it more than anything.

He said something to the effect of that he's not going to try and throw harder because it causes mechanical problems, thereby implying that he would have to strain himself in order to regain his previous velocity levels. To me, that suggests very strongly he's not intentionally not throwing as hard.

Frankly it doesn't surprise me that he's not worried either. He's never been very into advanced metrics like say Scherzer. He doesn't know the very strong correlation between FB velocity and strikeout rates and doesn't know how strong the relationship is between K rate and fip/era. So even though he's not worried I think there's still some reason for others to be concerned.

sorry Colin, I just got to this thread...

http://www.freep.com/article/20130502/SPORTS02/305020160/justin-verlander-detroit-tigers

just in case this one isn't,

Justin Verlander shrugs off suggestions he?s losing velocity on his legendary heater.

A Yahoo! Report earlier this week, citing two unnamed scouts, raised the possibility.

Verlander said after his latest outing ? seven innings of five-hit baseball in Tuesday night?s 6-1 victory over the Minnesota Twins ?that there is no need to worry.

?No, I know where I?m at and I feel like it?s gotten a little bit better every start,? the 30-year-old said before tonight?s game. ?I threw a lot of innings last year and I was basically three weeks behind coming into spring training this year on purpose but I think it seems like for the most part our entire team has started to get better velocity wise.

?I learned a valuable lesson in 2008 and that?s not going about trying to create velocity the wrong way and just worry about establishing your pitches and making your pitches and getting outs.?

So it?s all about being smarter, right?

?When you start trying to throw hard, that creates a lot of bad habits that are hard to fix so I?m just going out there and trying to pitch and I feel like every time, it?s gotten a little bit better and I?m really not worried about it,? Verlander said. ?They said I still can?t go for the big strikeout. I think 96-97 is pretty good, I think it will get there it?s just like, I said, not trying to push it.?

Back