Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Victor Catching Soon?

dale675

I read today that Victor was warming up with catching gear on behind the plate. I was thinking maybe Cabby would DH and Victor catch today or tomorrow, but after the lineup today came out with Cabby at 3B it's probably more likely that Victor may catch a game in the Met's series coming up. What do you guys think? We also finish the season in Miami, and while I hope they lock the division up before then, things could get interesting without Victor at DH. I would think as long as his legs feel good enough he would probably catch 1-2 games of that series.

I read today that Victor was warming up with catching gear on behind the plate. I was thinking maybe Cabby would DH and Victor catch today or tomorrow, but after the lineup today came out with Cabby at 3B it's probably more likely that Victor may catch a game in the Met's series coming up. What do you guys think? We also finish the season in Miami, and while I hope they lock the division up before then, things could get interesting without Victor at DH. I would think as long as his legs feel good enough he would probably catch 1-2 games of that series.

I doubt it.

Just saw this in KC's game thread for today:

Bryan Holaday at catcher tonight. Brayan Pena not in lineup. Victor Martinez was spotted working out in catcher gear earlier, around 3:00PM. Leyland says he's contemplating having Victor Martinez catch a game against the Mets this weekend. Leyland said Pena is the emergency catcher but he's hurting. If Alex Avila checks out today, he will go out on a rehab assignment tomorrow. Might be just one game. Could be more.

Would be nice to get Avila back, I know his average has not been great but he had been getting some big hits when they were needed.

Just saw this in KC's game thread for today:

Bryan Holaday at catcher tonight. Brayan Pena not in lineup. Victor Martinez was spotted working out in catcher gear earlier, around 3:00PM. Leyland says he's contemplating having Victor Martinez catch a game against the Mets this weekend. Leyland said Pena is the emergency catcher but he's hurting. If Alex Avila checks out today, he will go out on a rehab assignment tomorrow. Might be just one game. Could be more.

Would be nice to get Avila back, I know his average has not been great but he had been getting some big hits when they were needed.

I'm not too excited about getting his bat in the lineup....but he is the best defensive catcher / game caller on the Tigers and it appears that it isn't even close.

Victor might catch a game or two to see how he feels doing it. Would be awesome I can do it, would free up Cabrera to DH.

Victor might catch a game or two to see how he feels doing it. Would be awesome I can do it, would free up Cabrera to DH.

If he catches it will likely be only in an NL stadium to keep miggy, prince, and vmart all in the same lineup (we're in NY to face the mets this weekend.)

Last edited:
Leyland on Martinez: "I'm contemplating catching him a game in NY. And I'll leave it at that."

I don't think Cabrera benefits all that much from DH'ing. His problem seems to be running, and now lately wincing after a swing.

I think the biggest benefit of Vmart catching a game would be that you could add another bat to the lineup to replace Holaday, probably Kelly or Tuiasosopo depending on splits, and maybe let Hunter or Ajax DH a game, and maybe avoid having them sit a game later on.

Better for the Tigers to try here in the season, than try it in the WS in a NL town. Find out what he's got.Yea try him in the Mets series, gives the Tigers time, to think how to play it in a WS.

He was always a catcher with the indians or at first. So he will be fine they want his bat

I think he meant his surgically repaired knees. We all know he was a good catcher once upon a time, but can he squat for 9 innings now?

If Avila is healthy, I would want him to be the starting catcher at least 6 out of 7 games. V-Mart is a good option only in an NL park 1 out of a 3 or 4 game series.

If Avila is healthy, I would want him to be the starting catcher at least 6 out of 7 games. V-Mart is a good option only in an NL park 1 out of a 3 or 4 game series.

I aggree, but now's the time to find out. Not in a Series. After all in those NL parks he would be a valueable PH. You would not like staring him at catch and have to replace him with only 1 or 2 AB's. A pH spot could be more of Value.

I apologize for being off topic but I didn't want to start a new thread to find out if there is any significance to Victor wearing a mouthguard

I'm fine with Pena catching Fister, Sanchez and JV. Their numbers are pretty close between Pena and Avila catching. Max does very well with Avila this year, but still not too bad with Pena. Alex should ALWAYS catch Rick though. Night and day difference on his splits with Avila vs Pena/Holaday. I'm fine with the righty/lefty platoon except when Rick pitches.

Victor catching with Fister better at holding runners?
Still going to be tough for him with that 12/6 curve.

Game thread will be up at 5.

Back