Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Warford's confidence high after debut

schles192

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2013/08/detroit_lions_rookie_guard_lar_1.html

DETROIT -- Between the end of his senior season at Kentucky and the NFL draft in April, Detroit Lions rookie guard Larry Warford put a great deal of work into getting physically prepared for his professional career.

Warford completely transformed his diet and started aggressively working out with former Pro Bowl guard LeCharles Bentley. While those efforts got Warford's body ready, nothing was able to prepare him for the mental demands placed on an NFL rookie.

"During OTAs, I was pretty weak mentally," Warford said. "I was overwhelmed with a lot of stuff that was being thrown at me. I didn't really have a break from football after college. You just go off to train for the combine. My brain was just mush by that time."

Warford went as far as to say he was depressed, with each miscue from those early practices weighing heavily on his mind. His coaches in Detroit told him he needed to learn how to let things go, something the young offensive lineman feels he's done a better job with during training camp.

"You can't let one play beat you twice," Warford said. "You're going to be playing timid for the rest of the game if you let it shake you that much."

Competing for the Lions' starting job at right guard, Warford has had an up-and-down camp. He's struggled at times with pass protection, especially against Detroit's star defensive tackles, Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairley. But the rookie now views those difficult matchups as opportunities to learn and grow.

Warford took the lessons he's learned in camp and applied them during Detroit's 26-17 preseason-opening victory over the New York Jets. He played a game-high 53 snaps and more than held his own.

"I felt like it went pretty well, overall," Warford said. "I had minimal mistakes. I felt like I gained a lot of confidence with where I'm at as a football player."

Warford played all of his snaps at right guard. He split first-team reps with Dylan Gandy, who started the game for the Lions. Jake Scott, Rodney Austin and Leroy Harris are also in the running for the starting job previously held by Stephen Peterman.

I'm hoping he's able to continue to improve and win the RG spot, but he has a little ways to go. He wasn't as big as I expected watching the game and got knocked over several times.

I'd have to imagine practicing against Suh and Fairley all week would make you think you're a scrub.

I'm hoping he's able to continue to improve and win the RG spot, but he has a little ways to go. He wasn't as big as I expected watching the game and got knocked over several times.

He is huge and very strong. Watching the game he didnt get knocked over he just has pretty terrible footwork at times. Playing interior oline is all about footwork at the NFL level and his size and strength was evident because he didnt really make any bad plays even though his technique was so bad. This dude will be ready to go I think come week 1 he just needs to fix a few things and he will be very good.

Back