Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Who is the favorite to become the next closer?

uofmpoweri

I know that a lot of people say Rendon, but I can't see that happening with Leyland. Remember Zumaya, he couldn't even wrestle the job away from Jones when Zumaya was at his peak. Leyland is old school, so I think that a veteran will close. I would like to see Alburquerque get a shot. What are his chances?

I don't recall Zumaya ever being given a shot at taking the closers job away from Jones.

Or being in any position to be given a shot at taking the closers job.

Also, how in the hell is Albuquerque a veteran? Dude never pitched above AA until 2011 when he appeared in a total of 41 games, and 2012 when he played in 8. That's a grand total of 49 career MLB appearances for this "veteran".

Exactly. Leyland should go with a veteran instead of a rookie.

I wonder what Todd Jones is up to?

Whats the difference. Dedicated closers are overrated.

I agree with this except I think back end relief pitchers like to know when they are expected to pitch. I think you go into the season telling them there is no closer and they will be used in any scenario....tell them all to be ready!

I think its better not to know. I rather have several P on their toes not knowing which will be called upon rather than "yeah I know I'm going in".

It will most likely end up being by committee, but we all know Leyland will give the vets every possible chance to win that job.

I think its better not to know. I rather have several P on their toes not knowing which will be called upon rather than "yeah I know I'm going in".

Agree 100%. THe moment they crowned this rookie "the closer" I thought it was a mistake. Yes, they say he has to earn it but with all the talking that DD has done about him, it sounds like it'll be hard for him to blow it in spring training.

IMO situational closing is the way to go. we've got enough good bullpen pitchers to pull it off. "closers" are overrated.

I don't recall Zumaya ever being given a shot at taking the closers job away from Jones.

Or being in any position to be given a shot at taking the closers job.

Also, how in the hell is Albuquerque a veteran? Dude never pitched above AA until 2011 when he appeared in a total of 41 games, and 2012 when he played in 8. That's a grand total of 49 career MLB appearances for this "veteran".

All you do is talk shit dude. WTF is wrong with you?

All you do is talk shit dude. WTF is wrong with you?

Is anything I posted false?

When you start a topic on the internet you have to understand that not all the replies are going to be "Damn Bro, you're so right, I agree with everything you said", all I did was disagree, and point out why.

And I wasn't the only one.

Is anything I posted false?

When you start a topic on the internet you have to understand that not all the replies are going to be "Damn Bro, you're so right, I agree with everything you said", all I did was disagree, and point out why.

And I wasn't the only one.

Damn Bro, you're so right, I agree with everything you said

The phillies announcers said it was Rondon's spot to lose.

They also said Miggy's big year last year was due to the fact that Vmart was batting behind him.

So don't put much stock in it.

I've heard a couple writers saying they think we'll go after Brian Wilson when he's ready to pitch again. I think the dude from the Boston Globe, Cafardo (?) was saying that the other day too.

Closer by committee worked GREAT for the White Sox last year right? Let's go that route. *eyeroll*

Back