Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Why Stafford will never be a great QB

That is so not true...

Go find the thread were I said it was mostly on the coaching staff (Jim) with Matt being second..
I even gave my percent opinion on that.. Plus I even mentioned ever damn other thing you have mentioned as the reason we lost also..

"You guys can blame drops or fumbles bad calls all you want but if you could take away just some of Matt's poor INT's the Lions are in the playoffs.. "

Straight from your keyboard.

"You guys can blame drops or fumbles bad calls all you want but if you could take away just some of Matt's poor INT's the Lions are in the playoffs.. "

Yup the two pick sixes.... Matt needs to have those back...

I also have a whole thread were I blame everyone....
(make sure you read thus because it is gospel truth).

You can say anything you want if Matt plays just 10% better the lions are in the playoffs.
He touches the ball on every offensive play... What the hell happened to him the last games? He looked lost out there?

Last edited:

Ahhhh i was right then lol.

Ahhhh i was right then lol.

You two idiot's missed the whole thread where I blamed everyone...

Let's keep defending Matt and giving him huge praise for all those
playoff wins he has brought to Detroit.

Hopefully the new staff will correct our chubby QB.

Last edited:
I know...
The snow caused him to fumble more times then
Nick Foles..

I know Matt is a indoor QB he gets a pass...

Blame someone else...

You two idiot's missed the whole thread where I blamed everyone...

Let's keep defending Matt and giving him huge praise for all those
playoff wins he has brought to Detroit.

You're the idiot!! Nobody is praising anybody, you fn dummy!! Do you need a fn tshirt printed up or can I fn tattoo it on your forehead??

"You can say anything you want if Matt plays just 10% better the lions are in the playoffs.
He touches the ball on every offensive play... What the hell happened to him the last games? He looked lost out there? "

You just can't make up random fucking numbers and think it is a fact c'mon man. No guarantees we even win the games if he doesn't throw the pick 6's. I agree he was hot garbage this year but just stop with your ludicrous statements.

Cmon dude ....lol

Like, I get it that some people here are of the opinion that Stafford is going to be fine and was a victim of a bad supporting cast. But trying to say other players we're equally (or more) to blame just seems ludicrous to me.

The jersey idea is the only rational explanation I've got since there is no way people watched the same games as I did and think Stafford didn't play awful in the second half of this season.

It's pretty simple, QB is the most important position on the field. I don't see how you not understand that even with average QB play the last 6 games, we would be in the playoffs. that does not mean other people didn't make mistakes.

I don't recall Stafford throwing off his back foot or side arm so much in previous years, it seemed like this year he did it for no reason. He seemed to get sloppy and looked like shit. A pro QB should be able to hit guys in stride, Stafford had trouble hitting guys in the numbers when they were standing in the soft spot of a zone. He had trouble putting the ball in the right spot on a swing pass.

Discussing with Tony is like talking to a woman, gets so hung up on terminology he can't understand the point of the argument. If Stafford plays better we are in the playoffs, I don't see how you could not agree, statistically he as one of the worst QBs in the league down the stretch.

Yes guys like Houston played bad, but to me that is a talent issue not a lazy issue. I think most players played as good as their talent allows them too. Maybe my issue is I think to highly of Stafford, maybe he is a guy that can not be accurate on throws of 5+ yards, maybe his ceiling is an average QB.

I wouldnt put so much blame on Stafford if I didn't think he was capable of much more. To me he is the player that played the most below what I think their best is. That's why he is the player I blame the most. (Coaching is still #1 reason)

Stafford made enough plays in the Steelers, Bucs, Ravens and Giants game. Even late in those games. I blame the run defense for the Eagles game with both QBs struggling. I blame second half drops on Durham,Riddick,Ross and Ogletree for the Steelers game. The Durham fumble and Calvin drop/pick in the Bucs game and Stafford had a game winning drive in the Ravens game. Tucker had a miracle FG. Finally the Giants 4th Quarter fiasco, pick 6 where he had to throw outside of Fauria, there was a 3rd and 1 stuff of Bell (so Oline), a 3rd down sack (oline) and drop/hold by a concussed Dickerson in OT, plus Durham with no separation on 3rd and 12. Only one of those plays is on Stafford. Game winning plays were made by him.

Last edited:
Stafford made enough plays in the Steelers, Bucs, Ravens and Giants game. Even late in those games. I blame the run defense for the Eagles game with both QBs struggling. I blame second half drops on Durham,Riddick,Ross and Ogletree for the Steelers game. The Durham fumble and Calvin drop/pick in the Bucs game and Stafford had a game winning drive in the Ravens game. Tucker had a miracle FG. Finally the Giants 4th Quarter fiasco, pick 6 where he had to throw outside of Fauria, there was a 3rd and 1 stuff of Bell (so Oline), a 3rd down sack (oline) and drop/hold by a concussed Dickerson in OT, plus Durham with no separation on 3rd and 12. Only one of those plays is on Stafford. Game winning plays were made by him.

Still defending the QB when he has the most opportunity to lead his team to the playoffs.
No Mention of his terrible decisions to throw both Pick 6 Td's. Or all the missed over throws in which some may have gone for Td's..No mention of poor back footed mechanical sidearm throws. You say Matt do enough to win those games and we contend he did a lot to lose some games.. He could have stepped up and taken gone the next level and he failed
so bad it is not even funny...

Still defending the QB when he has the most opportunity to lead his team to the playoffs.
No Mention of his terrible decisions to throw both Pick 6 Td's. Or all the missed over throws in which some may have gone for Td's..No mention of poor back footed mechanical sidearm throws. You say Matt do enough to win those games and we contend he did a lot to lose some games.. He could have stepped up and taken gone the next level and he failed
so bad it is not even funny...

He could have done more. Doesn't mean he didn't do enough though. The combo of Staffords misses and when Stafford did do well (especially Ravens TD drive and Bucs game late), other offensive/defensive players let him down. Plus storming back with 20 points against Giants(Ross reutrn and safety helped too) and a 27 point 2nd Quarter/game against the Steelers. 24 points against the Bengals with a blocked FG is good enough points wise too.

9 and 13 without Calvin is understandable. Without Calvin means without a number 1 WR. Some teams have number 1 WR depth (GB/Chicago for instance). Some teams don't like Detroit.

We aren't paying stafford to make one or two plays. Games were not lost because of one play, sure some plays are bigger than others, a pick 6 is a big negative, a missed tackle when you are the last defender, But overall when you play 60 minutes it does not come down to a single drop, or any single play.

One drive in the 4th quarter does not give you an excuse to play like shit the rest of the game.

You don't get to Geno Smith level by a few drops.

Stafford was hardly touched this year, he should of struggled the way he did. If we accept that level of play we should simply sign journeyman QBs since that is the level of production he provided.

9 and 13 without Calvin is understandable. Without Calvin means without a number 1 WR. Some teams have number 1 WR depth (GB/Chicago for instance). Some teams don't like Detroit.

Chicago has two studs at WR I will give you that, but Green Bay is great because of their QB. Rodgers makes average WR appear great. Stafford makes average WR look below average.

When playing with less than parts, you need to play at a higher level. Rodgers throws a very accurate tight ball. It is easy to catch. He finds the open WR and hits them in stride or in the numbers, very few balls do the WR have to adjust to. When a WR has a yard of separation he is open, you need to throw it so the guy doesn't have to stop, jump, dive.

We need the Stafford that threw the ball to Durham in the final drive against Dallas. Not the Stafford that threw the tipped interception to Fauria.

Carelessness is the only difference betweenthe two plays.

Chicago has two studs at WR I will give you that, but Green Bay is great because of their QB. Rodgers makes average WR appear great. Stafford makes average WR look below average.

When playing with less than parts, you need to play at a higher level. Rodgers throws a very accurate tight ball. It is easy to catch. He finds the open WR and hits them in stride or in the numbers, very few balls do the WR have to adjust to. When a WR has a yard of separation he is open, you need to throw it so the guy doesn't have to stop, jump, dive.

We need the Stafford that threw the ball to Durham in the final drive against Dallas. Not the Stafford that threw the tipped interception to Fauria.

Carelessness is the only difference betweenthe two plays.

We had that Stafford against the Bucs and Ravens. The throw to Calvin against Bucs after several other good first down throws to get near Bucs redzone, Durham (that he fumbled) and the throw to Fauria for the TD against Ravens (along with the rest of that drive. He also had the throw to Ross that was dropped against Steelers and to Ogletree deep (along with misses in the first quarter to Bush/Calvin). We also had miracle FG and Houston getting burnt for a TD and bogus penatly that gave the Bucs a FG on their first scoring drive.

People will always remember the 6 heartbreaking ints that were his fault in 3 home losses. But there was so much more to this season.

And I disagree. Nelson, Jones and Cobb get more separation in single coverage than Durham, Burleson and Ogletree do. Rodgers does make good tight throws but he doesnt' have to do it as often as Stafford does. Rodgers receivers hang onto the ball better with a better drop rate too. Rodgers just has to make a good decision becuase he knows somene will eventually get pretty open. Stafford doesn't get to make decisions because everyone is covered more often, so the decision becomes force to Calvin who is most always doubled at least or dump to a RB or force a tight window which Durham/Burleson/Tes that won't catch most it times. Tight windows requires good thorws and receivers to make great plays too. Sometimes it happens, Fauria TD agianst Ravens for instance. Sometimes it doesn't, 3rd and 12 to Durham in OT against Giants.

We had that Stafford against the Bucs and Ravens. The throw to Calvin against Bucs after several other good first down throws to get near Bucs redzone, Durham (that he fumbled) and the throw to Fauria for the TD against Ravens (along with the rest of that drive. He also had the throw to Ross that was dropped against Steelers and to Ogletree deep (along with misses in the first quarter to Bush/Calvin). We also had miracle FG and Houston getting burnt for a TD and bogus penatly that gave the Bucs a FG on their first scoring drive.

People will always remember the 6 heartbreaking ints that were his fault in 3 home losses. But there was so much more to this season.

And I disagree. Nelson, Jones and Cobb get more separation in single coverage than Durham, Burleson and Ogletree do. Rodgers does make good tight throws but he doesnt' have to do it as often as Stafford does. Rodgers receivers hang onto the ball better with a better drop rate too. Rodgers just has to make a good decision becuase he knows somene will eventually get pretty open. Stafford doesn't get to make decisions because everyone is covered more often, so the decision becomes force to Calvin who is most always doubled at least or dump to a RB or force a tight window which Durham/Burleson/Tes that won't catch most it times. Tight windows requires good thorws and receivers to make great plays too. Sometimes it happens, Fauria TD agianst Ravens for instance. Sometimes it doesn't, 3rd and 12 to Durham in OT against Giants.

Boykin came in and made contributions to his team....its what seeing the entire field and making the correct reads does for you. You end up utilizing all of your weapons instead of being locked on to 1 or 2. Hence the reason why broyles gets inserted into the offense and does nothing.

Packers have great Wrs. That's why Jennings had such an amazing season without Rodgers

LKP, the point you often miss is that several of the games the Lions lost would have been blow out wins with better game management. Obviously there were the coaches to blame for a good amount of that, but Stafford must learn how to better manage games or Lions will continue to lose. Reads, audible, decision making... all the MENTAL aspects of being an elite QB is where Stafford is deficient. There is more to being a QB than yards and TDs, or whatever stats you put up to defend him. And no, it was not entirely the coaches at fault.

Last edited:
Back