Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Wings sign Frans Nielsen

LGRW_9

6 year deal, $5.25 million per year for a 32 year old forward?

Hmmm........not so sure about this one.

Ya the term is def. 2 years too long. At first I was thinking this is a terrible signing, but this team sorely needs a 1C and he seems to fit that bill, he is a good 2 way player and was on both the #1 PK and PP unit last year.

Its not a great signing, but its not terrible...just Meh.

Unfortunately, the Wings need far more than just 'Meh' to become relevant again.

For what it's worth he is excellent at converting shootout opportunities. One of the best in the league I heard, and that is something the Wings have needed for a while also. Just a few more points via the shootout and the wings could have had home ice advantage in the playoffs.

Having said that, I agree the 6 years is way too long. Hope it's not another Franzen type deal.

Holland is a idiot. Let's keep the younger kids in grand rapids for some more years. They have 14 fowards now. Ken better deal some of them . He over paid for Helm. What a awful contact. It's time for the young kids not these 32 year retreads.

Last edited:
Holland is a idiot. Let's keep the younger kids in grand rapids for some more years. They have 14 fowards now. Ken better deal some of them . He over paid for Helm. What a awful contact. It's time for the young kids not these 32 year retreads.

Yeah, that's what concerns me....jamming things up and not letting the kids have their chance. We re-signed Helm so there's another vet locked into a spot. I did like UM's comments about the shootout though, cuz we've sucked at that for years.

Need some help on the blue line. Holland better focus there.

With the Ott and Vanek signings there is a major logjam at F right now. Holland has to make a trade for a Dman, that's the only move he can make at this point.

If the season started today then AA and Mantha would be in GR again, which is just unacceptable

What is it with the wings not wanting to play younger kids. I just don't get it.

Last edited:
Ken Holland is doing everything in his power to ensure that this team is going to stink for years to come. How many atrocious contracts do they have sitting around?

Kronwall, Ericsson, Nielson, Helm, Howard. I really hope they miss the playoffs this year so that it might provide an opportunity to move some of these deals at the deadline.

What is it with the wings not wanting to play younger kids. I just don't get it.

To play on the Red Wings you must reach one of the following criteria;

1. Your from Michigan (including parts of Ontario), played hockey in Michigan, or accidentally visited Michigan once.
2. You spent 5+ years in the minors.
3. Your an NHL veteran well past your prime.

Cause everything gets better with age (2,3). :nuts:

Back