Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Woofing and Barking re Oregon State and Michigan

cmrlily

as for rumsey's comment on the run game still struggling...boy, we're effed for the rest of the season if that's the case.

effed = seven wins

68c362806d7214757a3886610644623a.400x222x17.gif

as for rumsey's comment on the run game still struggling...boy, we're effed for the rest of the season if that's the case.

effed = seven wins

I know the YPC and total yards were crappy, but it didn't seem to me at least like we had too many negative runs, at least not like last year where we seemed to have a -2, or -3 yard run at least once in every series. plus a sack in every other series.

The run blocking will hopefully work itself out, and the pass blocking was very good. I have hope that even if the run blocking doesn't improve to the point that our running game is a threat on its own, the coaching staff will find ways to get yards on the ground, or involve the RBs in the short yardage passing game more.

effed = seven wins

It was the first game, every year (even under Hoke) that area seems to improve as the year goes on. So I'm thinking it should do the same under Harbaugh; especially if Drake Johnson gets in the game and hits some of those holes the line is opening.

I think the YPC could have been even lower had Smith not been an animal and shedded a ton of tackles. Green and Isaac didn't really show anything in their extremely limited time.

Bottom line is that the run push needs a complete overhaul from whatever they did last week.

I think the YPC could have been even lower had Smith not been an animal and shedded a ton of tackles. Green and Isaac didn't really show anything in their extremely limited time.

Bottom line is that the run push needs a complete overhaul from whatever they did last week.

Yep. Braden was really, really bad at LG. He missed blocks, couldn't stay engaged, got blown off the ball, and gave up more pressures than any other o-lineman. He needs to improve greatly or the coaches are going to have to search for a different solution at LG.

Harbaugh says it's a possibility that The Drake plays this weekend. Gotta love The Drake.

I think the UTAH defensive front is better than people are giving them credit for being when evaluating the MICHIGAN run game last week.

The timing of the pulling guards and other timing issues with hitting the holes will get better as the season goes along, but I expect the holes this Saturday to be a bit bigger than those in Salt Lake were and whether Smith, The Drake! or Issac is running, the YPC will jump compared to the Utah game.

I think the UTAH defensive front is better than people are giving them credit for being when evaluating the MICHIGAN run game last week.

The timing of the pulling guards and other timing issues with hitting the holes will get better as the season goes along, but I expect the holes this Saturday to be a bit bigger than those in Salt Lake were and whether Smith, The Drake! or Issac is running, the YPC will jump compared to the Utah game.

Utah's defensive front is really good. They are just overlooked because they are Utah. I know they lost Nate Orchard, but he was not the only reason they D led the country in sacks last year, had the 3rd best sack efficiency rate, and only gave up 3.9 yards per rush. Lowell Lotulelei is going to be a stud. He's only a sophomore.

That being said. Braden got whipped way too often. Kalis wasn't good either, but Braden had a really, really rough outing against the Utes.

Interesting.

The Utah loss sucked but it may not look as bad as the season wears on.

Interesting.

The Utah loss sucked but it may not look as bad as the season wears on.

Being at the game, there was a different tone and intensity when compared to past years and games under Hoke and though all losses suck, it didn't feel like the Minnesota game did last year or watching the regression over the course of the season.

Based on player comments, I would expect this year's team to be playing it's best football in November.

Utah is also #24 now and many are revising their Pac-12 predictions based on Week 1

Being at the game, there was a different tone and intensity when compared to past years and games under Hoke and though all losses suck, it didn't feel like the Minnesota game did last year or watching the regression over the course of the season.

Based on player comments, I would expect this year's team to be playing it's best football in November.

Utah is also #24 now and many are revising their Pac-12 predictions based on Week 1

Agreed. The team never looked defeated. They kept fighting. The team looked numb to losing last year and I didn't see any hints of that against Utah.

Utah should have been ranked to start the season.

It was the first game, every year (even under Hoke) that area seems to improve as the year goes on. So I'm thinking it should do the same under Harbaugh; especially if Drake Johnson gets in the game and hits some of those holes the line is opening.

If Drake Johnson gets in the game, then it changes the run game completely. I would happily change my prediction if that is the case. I don't have much confidence in the other backs currently on the team.

Agreed. The team never looked defeated. They kept fighting. The team looked numb to losing last year and I didn't see any hints of that against Utah.

Utah should have been ranked to start the season.

This may be the most important thing Harbaugh has brought to the program at this point. The confidence to keep fighting and moving forward.

Back