Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

World Series Pitching Match-ups

pr0tege

Game 1: @SF - Verlander vs Zito
Game 2: @SF - Fister vs Bumgarner
Game 3: @DET - Sanchez vs Vogelsong
Game 4: @DET - Scherzer vs Cain
Game 5: @DET - Verlander vs Zito
Game 6: @SF - Fister vs Bumgarner/Lincecum
Game 7: @SF - Sanchez vs Vogelsong

Last edited:
Well from what I have heard and read Vogelsong is supposed to go game 2 on short rest.

Also did they remove Bumgarner from the rotation? I have not read that if they did. I expect they will leave Timmy in the 'pen in case they need to pull a starter early.

I would expect:

Zito
Vogelsong
Bumgarner
Cain
Zito
Vogelsong
Bumgarner

Sanchez has been great but I think I rather see Max twice.

Let's hope we have already won and won't have to see Sanchez twice. I also think game 7 will be a all hands on deck. Verlander, Fister and Scherzer will pitch in game 7 if necessary.

Correct me if I am wrong, but San Francisco hasn't announced starters for most of the series; this is pure speculation, other than the first game.

Correct me if I am wrong, but San Francisco hasn't announced starters for most of the series; this is pure speculation, other than the first game.

Yes.

As indicated by pr0tege using "?" in his and me saying "I would expect" in mine.

k, so we face 2 lefties in SF. could be interesting (though we did just light up CC).

The thing about Bumgarner starting game 2 is the fact he has struggled mightily of late.

His 2 Postseason starts:
0-2 Record
11.25 ERA
2.12 WHIP
3 HR Allowed.

And if you go back to his last start of the season its not much better:
0-3 Record
10.50 ERA
1.91 WHIP
5 HR Allowed

Granted the Tigers have struggled against LH Starters this season but I would rather face Bumgarner then have to face Lincecum to be honest.

Tigers are going to need to be really patient at the plate, especially against Zito. I think Zito sucks but lefthanded junkballers tend to give the Tigers fits. Olney just said that the home plate umpire has a tight strikezone and Zito has about 25 walks in 35 innings against him with an ERA over 5. Detroit needs to make him throw strikes and none of this weak ground ball outs on the 1st pitch crap.

Davis has a small strike zone and Iassogna (G2 HPU) has one favors the high strike and not the low strike. Thats going to hurt Fister, who likes to work the bottom third of the zone.

This.

I hope that's wrong because with all the rest, they would be idiots to pitch Sanchez twice over Scherzer.

Leyland has his idiosyncrasies like if Prince took a day off, his replacement - lets say Kelly would bat 4th. Basically he doesn't change. At least for a long while, like keeping Inge way to long, keeping Raburn way too long and not going to Dotel sooner after Valverde imploded for the 2nd straight game.

i think they announced that lincecum will be pitching from the pen for the series.

Last edited:
Back