Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

You can burn the flag all you want.

I don't admire flag burning but if you want to do it, do it. What I find hilarious, however, is that many of the fruit loops who would gleefully burn every flag they can get their hands on would favor a federal ban on the the burning of wood! Make that a UN ban. Scrambled brains.

I wonder if there were any alarmists running here to start threads about Hillary Clinton, calling her Hitler and warning people about her fascism when she sponsored legislation to fine anyone $100k and jail them for up to a year for burning an American flag in protest...

http://www.snopes.com/hillary-clinton-sponsored-a-bill-to-punish-flag-burning/

I mean it's just legislation - nothing as harmful as a tweet, but still did anyone throw a tantrum and start a thread about it?

this board wasn't around in 2005. Also, it's sad, but true, in 2016 more people pay attention to tweets from the president-elect than bills sponsored by senators. it's just the nature of things.

but Hillary's bill was stupid, and she's a crappy politician and person. Presumably, she sponsored it to pander to the Right, and appear "tough on patriotism" or whatever. so I figure her bill was more or less posturing, I would be surprised to learn someone on her staff didn't brief her on Texas v. Johnson. In Trump's case, I doubt he knows shit about the Constitution; probably even less than you do.

Also... I still don't understand why Republicans & right-wingers hate the Clintons so much; given what the Clintons actually support and actually do, they should be happy with them.

I don't admire flag burning but if you want to do it, do it. What I find hilarious, however, is that many of the fruit loops who would gleefully burn every flag they can get their hands on would favor a federal ban on the the burning of wood! Make that a UN ban. Scrambled brains.

What the hell are you talking about?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I am aware that burning wood - or any carbon-based fuel source - is the leading cause of global warming & climate change, in addition to being a cause of air pollition, and needs to be addressed.

I'm just saying, maybe the flag burners and ACLU lawyers should think about that before they go crazy on Trump for suggesting that flag burning is maybe not so good. And I'm also saying I hope your fancy new Texas digs didn't come with a working fireplace. Or if it did, that you don't use it.

The law isn't going to change. I wish it didn't happen but It's a small minority that actually do it. The tweet was just Trump being Trump.

I'm just saying, maybe the flag burners and ACLU lawyers should think about that before they go crazy on Trump for suggesting that flag burning is maybe not so good. And I'm also saying I hope your fancy new Texas digs didn't come with a working fireplace. Or if it did, that you don't use it.

we have gas fireplace, but don't ever use it.

and wait a minute: do you actually think the number of flags burned is significant enough to affect climate change?

and wait a minute: do you actually think the number of flags burned is significant enough to affect climate change?

If you count the flags retired by the American Legion it might. Maybe Trump should look into that.

DSF needs a sarcasm font. On the other hand, doesn't everything cause climate change?

I don't think Pluto has much to do with it.

Is that even considered A planet anymore?

Yea the planet, probably not much to do with it. If it even is a planet. I don't know. But the cartoon dog? I'm saying yes.

Yea the planet, probably not much to do with it. If it even is a planet. I don't know. But the cartoon dog? I'm saying yes.

Because he's animated I'm going to say I don't think so.

If he was a real dog that farted I would say that maybe that methane was a problem but he's not.

Now the chicks who dress like Pluto at Disney World and Disneyland (they're practically all chicks, maybe a few of them are dudes who are midgets, I don't know) they fart so there may be a methane situation going on there.

Because he's animated I'm going to say I don't think so.

If he was a real dog that farted I would say that maybe that methane was a problem but he's not.

Now the chicks who dress like Pluto at Disney World and Disneyland (they're practically all chicks, maybe a few of them are dudes who are midgets, I don't know) they fart so there may be a methane situation going on there.

You have a point about the animated pooch but keep in mind that Pluto was born of human activity. That's kind of a problem. And the Disney chicks? Agree, that's a big methane situation.

this board wasn't around in 2005. Also, it's sad, but true, in 2016 more people pay attention to tweets from the president-elect than bills sponsored by senators. it's just the nature of things.

but Hillary's bill was stupid, and she's a crappy politician and person. Presumably, she sponsored it to pander to the Right, and appear "tough on patriotism" or whatever. so I figure her bill was more or less posturing, I would be surprised to learn someone on her staff didn't brief her on Texas v. Johnson. In Trump's case, I doubt he knows shit about the Constitution; probably even less than you do.

Also... I still don't understand why Republicans & right-wingers hate the Clintons so much; given what the Clintons actually support and actually do, they should be happy with them.

I think a lot of establishment Republicans probably do like the Clintons, certainly the Clintons of the 90s and early 2000s before they (she) had to pander to the progressive extreme, chronically aggrieved and other whack jobs in the party in order to get the nomination. But those Republicans that do like her are the same Republicans that conservatives can't stand.

Yes, I am aware that burning wood - or any carbon-based fuel source - is the leading cause of global warming & climate change, in addition to being a cause of air pollition, and needs to be addressed.

Setting aside the fact that the planet isn't actually warming and man isn't likely having a material impact on the climate, isn't the beef industry by far the leading emitter of greenhouse gases?

Setting aside the fact that the planet isn't actually warming and man isn't likely having a material impact on the climate, isn't the beef industry by far the leading emitter of greenhouse gases?

Bill Mahar used to sometimes have guests who made this claim and he agreed with that and I just didn't get it.

Cows have been on this planet farting forever.

What's different about cow farts of today that makes them so much more dangerous to humanity than cow farts have been going back to the beginning of time?

Last edited:

It seems obvious, I guess, but isn't the solution to eat more of the beef?

Bill Mahar used to sometimes have guests who made this claim and he agreed with that and I just didn't get it.

Cows have been on this planet farting forever.

What's different about cow farts of today that makes them so much more dangerous to humanity than cow farts have been going back to the beginning of time?

If it's true, it probably has to do with the size of the herd, maybe even concentration and, I would imagine, it includes emissions released in the processing and transport of beef. They may even account for extra emissions related to feeding since much of it is grain feed, which has to be fertilized, treated with pesticides and transported to the herd, etc - they're not all grazed. These are all factors that weren't a consideration when the buffalo roamed the prairies grazing, pooping and farting.

It seems obvious, I guess, but isn't the solution to eat more of the beef?

I don't think so, because consuming more would only lead to ranchers producing more. Unless you mean cull the herd and not replace them, which would be bad because they're so darn tasty.

Back