Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Verlander traded to Houston, TJ Surgery, Wins 2 WS, Wins 3rd Cy Young, a Met, Astro again

Every Tigers Pitcher who was one of the best in the league since I remember was traded and didn't have a chance to stay his whole career by getting traded or let go as a FA.
Beginning with Bunning, on through Lary, Lolich, McLain, Morris, and up to Verlander who is the best of them. I never saw Newhouser.
I want to see Verlander keep pitching and hope he gets to 300 Wins, doesn't matter if it is with another team.

Verlander slowed by shoulder issue; timetable unclear.
MLB.com

Verlander: 'Hard to forecast' return to game action.
MLB.com

Justin Verlander To Begin Season On Injured List.
MLBTR

Houston Astros ace Justin Verlander to start season on injured list.
Detnews

Justin Verlander to begin season on injured list for second-straight year.
MLive

MONDAY MUSINGS.
Totally Tigers

Today, it’s about quick hits – bits of news that catch my radar during the week as well as connecting the dots re ongoing stories. Even the quirky.
So let’s get to it! Here are the most interesting topics that hit my radar over the past week………..

Over 20 years ago, Justin Verlander took the hill against another top draft prospect, Justin Orenduff. It was just the beginning of a lifelong friendship.

Justin Verlander teases Tigers fans about eventual return, but does it make sense?
Justin Verlander pitched seven shutout innings against his old team Sunday. Could Tigers fans see more of him in the future?
MCBTB

WATERCOOLER WEDNESDAY.
Totally Tigers

The rumors about the Houston Astros selling off at the trade deadline continue to have legs. And in all the stories, Justin Verlander is named as one of their trade chips.
JV has recently returned from a minor injury and pitched (through Monday) 34 innings so far. If he doesn’t get traded, he will automatically vest into 1 more year with the Astros. It is a player option.
However, he would have to start at least 20 more games this season and go at least 5 innings per game for that to happen.
If he gets traded and hasn’t reached that number, he will become a free agent after this season.
Verlander is 41 and he has stated multiple times that he plans on pitching until his mid-40’s.
JV has a full no-trade clause. The rumors go on to state that he has told people there are 3 teams in which he would approve a trade. The Tigers are one of them.
Of course, it is the team that drafted and developed him. The team he spent 13 years with.
But also consider that A. J. Hinch was his manager in Houston.
Most importantly, if he wants to continue pitching, there is no better pitching coach than Chris Fetter to help him be his best.
All reasons to come back to Detroit.
But we also have to look at the Tigers’ starting rotation. Tarik Skubal and Reese Olson are the only sure bets for next year. More info needs to be developed on Casey Mize’s future. Jack Flaherty is leaving after this year and Kenta Madea has 1 more year left on his contract.
The Tigers will have a potential 2-3 holes in their rotation for next year. Other than Maeda who is not fluent in English, there are no other veterans on the staff to help guide the younger pitchers.
Granted, if Houston wants to trade JV, they will want something in return. It’s unclear how valuable a 41-year old will be in a trade.
But should the Tigers bring back Justin Verlander?

Should the Detroit Tigers bring back Justin Verlander?

1. Yes, he's a winner and first-ballot Hall of Famer.

2. No, we need to let go of the past and move towards the new.

VOTE

Every Tigers Pitcher who was one of the best in the league since I remember was traded and didn't have a chance to stay his whole career by getting traded or let go as a FA.
Beginning with Bunning, on through Lary, Lolich, McLain, Morris, and up to Verlander who is the best of them. I never saw Newhouser.
I want to see Verlander keep pitching and hope he gets to 300 Wins, doesn't matter if it is with another team.
Only saw Lolich, McLain, Morris, and Verlander pitch in person. Verlander was in Pittsburgh and he got pulled after the first inning, IIRC, AFTER Ausmus let him make a PA WITH RUNNERS ON BASE. Sure, JV got the bunt down, but, just one of legion in-game blunders by Ausmiss.

Back