Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tony Stewart hits, kills another driver

Wow.

Do NOT attempt to take on a vehicle moving toward you at a high rate of speed.

You will get the worse of it every time.

So another car just barely missed him as he swerved out of the way. I'm wondering if the guy that died shouldn't have been there?

So another car just barely missed him as he swerved out of the way. I'm wondering if the guy that died shouldn't have been there?

I'm not a big race fan, but it doesn't seem like typical behavior from what I've observed...

Common sense would indicate to me to move away from these high speed vehicles, as opposed to toward them...

Now, far be it for me to second guess a professional race car driver on a race tracck, but that's how I've always lived my life in matters related to traffic...and this guy, he's pretty young and now he's dead; and I'm in my mid 50s, and still alive.

Just sayin.'

Traggic. Some say Stewert gunned it but who knows..the young kid was in idiot.

Nvm, saw the video. Defiantly shouldn't have been there..

They should show this clip in science classes when teaching evolution - "students - this is the best depiction of natural selection every captured on film. I don't know if this guy had passed on his genes before this event, but one thing for sure - he ain't gonna pass on any more."

From what I've read, the driver Ward was a bit of a hothead and known to challenge other racers and Stewart trying to scare the lad.

Rednecks.

And the number of people defending Stewart today seems extraordinarily high

From what I've read, the driver Ward was a bit of a hothead and known to challenge other racers and Stewart trying to scare the lad.

Rednecks.

And the number of people defending Stewart today seems extraordinarily high

i read another site's comments on this, and it sounds like people familiar with NASCAR (which stands for Non Athletic Sport Concerning All Rednecks), say Stewart had a reputation as being a hothead, and it's likely he intentionally steered at him to intimidate him, expecting him to jump out of the way (which would be reckless homicide if true), though it's unlikely he really intended to hit him.

rednecks, dude.

Same with what I read ....while at the pool in Maui.

N ot
A
S port
C ars
A re
R acing

He didn't hit you, he didn't bump you, he rubbed you, and son, rubbin' is racin' - Don Corleone's consigliere playing a NASCAR crew chief in that one dumb movie.

Can you imagine if what happens in professional auto racing happened in a mainstream sport? Participants get killed every year during the event. Spectators get killed as a direct result of the event. Everyone is up in arms about PED's in baseball & concussions in football but nobody cares that participants and fans die in motor sports.

Can you imagine if what happens in professional auto racing happened in a mainstream sport?

Can you imagine if we all poured a five gallon can of gasoline over our heads and then lit a match?

Can you imagine?

What if shit like that happened in mainstream sports?

Can you imagine if what happens in professional auto racing happened in a mainstream sport? Participants get killed every year during the event. Spectators get killed as a direct result of the event. Everyone is up in arms about PED's in baseball & concussions in football but nobody cares that participants and fans die in motor sports.

People die in Little League baseball as well. Or even Pop Warner football. People die falling in baseball and football stadiums. Accidents happen all the time.

I saw Ward race here locally on 7 June, so I must be a redneck.

A black car with a driver wearing a black fire suit with a black helmet on a poorly lit portion of the track makes for a bad situation. It was an accident. That is all. Ward made a bad choice getting out of his car.

Even if Stewart "gunned his engine", no one can prove criminal intent. The only person alive that can say what happened is Stewart, and I have yet to see a interview.

People die in Little League baseball as well. Or even Pop Warner football. People die falling in baseball and football stadiums. Accidents happen all the time.

I saw Ward race here locally on 7 June, so I must be a redneck.

A black car with a driver wearing a black fire suit with a black helmet on a poorly lit portion of the track makes for a bad situation. It was an accident. That is all. Ward made a bad choice getting out of his car.

Even if Stewart "gunned his engine", no one can prove criminal intent. The only person alive that can say what happened is Stewart, and I have yet to see a interview.

I never implied that you or anybody that likes racing is a redneck. I was just pointing out that the media and the sports themselves make a huge deal over concussions and PEDs in football and baseball but in auto sports people die but it seems to be no big deal (in comparison). As far as the spectators...I really didn't think of the people that die falling out of the stands. I think there is a difference between someone falling and car parts flying into the stands but you are correct.

... I was just pointing out that the media and the sports themselves make a huge deal over concussions and PEDs in football and baseball but in auto sports people die but it seems to be no big deal (in comparison). ...

I don't know if that's true; I remember it being a pretty big deal when Dale Earhardt died. To the extent there is a discrepancy, it's probably a function of the fact that outside of a certain segment of the population that does not use adequate sun-protection on their obese, white flesh during the summer, no one really follows motorsports, and certainly not to the extent they do baseball, football, basketball or even hockey. so there's less attention focused on them generally.

there are a lot of deaths in pro-wrestling as well, but not as much scrutiny there either, for the same reason.

I also think in both cases, each industry employs slick PR teams to downplay any incidents, lest state or federal governments decide it's time to rein in the sloppy safety practices wrought by exploitative management that seeks to keep its operating costs low to wring every available cent of profit out of the spectacle.

Back