Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tony Stewart hits, kills another driver

You have a lot of nothing there..Victors. Ward's a dumbass and the things I've read, those things have blind spots, need to give it gas to steer, the guy who just missed him (his rep or whomever he was said he barely saw him), and now a driver said Stewart did everything in his power..etc.

well, ANOTHER driver, in the link I posted said he had no problem seeing Ward, and noted that no one else came close to hitting him.

Ward's father isn't blaming his son, FWIW.

Obviously Ward was negligent in getting out of his car and running down the track like that, but it still doesn't give Stewart an excuse. If everyone else slowed down and easily avoided him, it certainly begs the question of whether Stewart was negligent (at best), reckless in gunning it at him, or intentionally tried to hit him (at worst).

I'm guessing he won't be charged though, but that depends on how willing to gamble, or take on a tough case the prosecutor is (often they are not). This would be an extremely difficult case to prosecute, because Ward wasn't completely blameless, being somewhat reckless on his own.

That's what I said.

Why would Stewart - or any driver - ever expect to see a person standing in the track but why was it Stewart who nailed the guy? Coincidence? Maybe but that's the ONLY defense of the action ...accident and totally a coincidence it just happened to be Stewart..?

Another driver hits him and I find your [Mitch] explanation more compelling ..."dark track" ..."dark race suit"

Last edited:
That's what I said.

Why would Stewart - or any driver - ever expect to see a person standing in the track but why was it Stewart who nailed the guy? Coincidence? Maybe but that's the ONLY defense of the action ...accident and totally a coincidence it just happened to be Stewart..?

Another driver hits him and I find your [Mitch] explanation more compelling ..."dark track" ..."dark race suit"

and given Stewart's history...

• 1999 ? During his rookie season Stewart got into an in-race scuffle with then-rival Kenny Irwin during a race in Martinsville, Virginia, that ended with him getting out of his car and throwing his gloves at Irwin's car as it passed before trying to chase it down and picking up an official reprimand from NASCAR.
  • 2000 ? The following season Stewart hit one of his own crew, tire man Mike Lingerfeld as he pulled away from a pit stop during the Daytona 500. Lingerfeld suffered a compound fracture and had to have surgery.
  • 2001 ? Stewart had to be restrained by his crew during an argument with a NASCAR official and slapped away a reporter's tape recorder before kicking it away when the scribe went to pick it up. He was fined $10,000 for the incident and his existing probation was extended to a year.
  • 2002 ? Stewart shoved a photographer from the Indianapolis Star after a 12th-place finish in the Brickyard 400. Stewart was attempting to hustle through the garage with the photographer following closely in tow, prompting him to stop and hit the lensman in the chest.
  • 2009 ? A pit crew member for a different driver ? David Reutimann ? got hit by Stewart as he tried to get a tire out of the way during a pit stop in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series in Virginia. The crew member was not injured.
  • 2012 ? Stewart tossed his helmet at driver Matt Kenseth's car after the two bumped on the track, and continued to fume about it afterward.
    • "I'm going to run over him ... every chance I've got from now till the end of the year," he said, according to NASCAR.com
  • March 2013 ? Stewart shoved driver Joey Logano after a tiff on the track, swinging for Logano's face until a pack of people separated the two.
    • "'If he ever turns down across in front of me again, I don't care what lap it is, he won't make it through the other end of it,? he said after a confrontation with driver Joey Logano in March 2013.
  • July 2013 ? On the same track as Saturday's tragic incident, Stewart was involved in 15-car accident that seriously injured 19-year-old driver Alysha Ruggles. He took responsibility for making first contact, triggering the domino effect
LOL... certainly nothing in his history would suggest this was anything other than a tragic accident...

No, it wasn't a coincidence, and it didn't just happen to be Stewart.

The guy intentionally moved into the very close vicinity of Stewart's vehicle; it looked to me like he was actually trying to make some physical contact with the side of the car.

It's not that the car in front of Stewart avoided Ward; it was Ward, who realized that car wasn't Stewart, that stepped back and avoided that car.

Do NOT attempt to make physical contact with a fast moving vehicle using only yourself (even if you do have a racing costume on).

It's going to be a bad outcome for you EVERY single time.

I think my first post was to say Stewart has a history of being a hothead

That's what I said.

Seriously?

It's a coincidence that the car that hit him was the one he was running towards?

Seriously?

It's a coincidence that the car that hit him was the one he was running towards?

As I looked at the split second between :34 and :35, it looks to me like Ward's right leg (it was the "back" leg at the time) might have actually gotten out in front of Stewart's car just before the collision...

Seriously?

No.

Everyone making excuses for Stewart blame a dark track, dark suit, fast cars and call it an accident.

If those are valid why didn't another car hit ward? Also, see the plethora of links from MC on other driver accounts and the Ward team/family reaction.

So he's a dick..That doesn't mean he saw the guy and hit him on purpose.

Only he knows that. But seems evident he at least tried to scare him and has a history of it. Maybe he didn't 'mean' to hit him but that's no different than 'meaning' to fire a warning shot and instead shooting someone.

Fuck it all. I don't care. I'm sure nothing will happen to Stewart and ESPN will get plenty of ratings for covering all the angles.

Only he knows that. But seems evident he at least tried to scare him and has a history of it. Maybe he didn't 'mean' to hit him but that's no different than 'meaning' to fire a warning shot and instead shooting someone.

Fuck it all. I don't care. I'm sure nothing will happen to Stewart and ESPN will get plenty of ratings for covering all the angles.

I've just read more evidence that points to being an accident over negligent. And now Stewart has to live with this even know it's Ward's fault. How fair is that to him?

What evidence? Please don't say revving the engine, because you steer sprint cars by accelerating.

The ignorance by a lot of the "non racing" types and others is amazing. The guy that will be painting my house within the next month is a racer and was at the race track that night. We talked just yesterday and he said what I have heard and read since, it was just an accident.

I will also add, 10 people can view a traffic accident and the cops will get 10 different versions of the accident. That is Investigation 101. There will be common pieces in most to all accounts, that is the truth. One witness might say the car was a Chevy, one might say it was a Ford. The difference is based on individual biases. No one is telling a lie. They all believe what they saw.

Yes, one driver said he could see Stewart. Doesn't that really mean that Stewart did? There is no proof or evidence. None.

Take any NASCAR driver and you can show a history of where they got upset and confronted another driver. Jeff Gordon, Kevin Harvick, Matt Kenseth, etc, etc. Listing the altercations Stewart has doesn't do anything to prove anything from that night.

Some people can never be convinced this was just an accident.

What evidence? Please don't say revving the engine, because you steer sprint cars by accelerating.

The ignorance by a lot of the "non racing" types and others is amazing. The guy that will be painting my house within the next month is a racer and was at the race track that night. We talked just yesterday and he said what I have heard and read since, it was just an accident.

I will also add, 10 people can view a traffic accident and the cops will get 10 different versions of the accident. That is Investigation 101. There will be common pieces in most to all accounts, that is the truth. One witness might say the car was a Chevy, one might say it was a Ford. The difference is based on individual biases. No one is telling a lie. They all believe what they saw.

Yes, one driver said he could see Stewart. Doesn't that really mean that Stewart did? There is no proof or evidence. None.

Take any NASCAR driver and you can show a history of where they got upset and confronted another driver. Jeff Gordon, Kevin Harvick, Matt Kenseth, etc, etc. Listing the altercations Stewart has doesn't do anything to prove anything from that night.

Some people can never be convinced this was just an accident.

Interesting spin. So basically because the video doesn't conclusively show Stewart's intent, the interpretation of the events you prefer must be the correct one...

I'm done with the topic and never should have voiced an opinion, based on video I saw myself when there are 'race types' who were there and talked to someone else who wasn't.

#Darwin

I'm done with the topic and never should have voiced an opinion, based on video I saw myself when there are 'race types' who were there and talked to someone else who wasn't.

#Darwin

taking+my+ball.JPG

Interesting spin. So basically because the video doesn't conclusively show Stewart's intent, the interpretation of the events you prefer must be the correct one...

It is spin because you think it is.

I am not condoning what happened or not saying Stewart did or didn't do something. I am saying you cannot make a accurate statement without knowing all the facts. Yet, you convicted Stewart based on biased opinions and conjecture.

I will wait from the "trained" expert investigation

It's not spin, it's FROGGER

From now on, every car race has to feature a disabled car whose driver storms the track and gets hit by another drivers car and hopefully none are as darling as Mitch's daughter and her kickball.

Those are the rules --- thinning of the herd.

Last edited:
It is spin because you think it is.

I am saying you cannot make a accurate statement without knowing all the facts.

Well, we're never know all the facts.

We'll never know whether or not, in less than a second, Tony Stewart made a calculated decision to intentionally hit Ward or not.

And that's how long it was - less than a second - that Ward moved within a contact range of Stewart's vehicle.

Go back and look at :34 - :35, and do it a few times...

It happened in a split second.

Yeah, okay, I guess if Stewart comes out and says "yeah, I decided to try and hit the guy," we'll know...but that's not going to happen.

Back