Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Dwight Howard

zoombabyzoom

I love this guy but after the past year he has just pissed me off. Maybe I should be mad at Orlando for not acquiring another Star. Instead throwing money around at Lewis, Hedo, JRich, Nelson, and Arenas....

I can't see what Brooklyn could offer in a trade... Head the Lakers are interested...maybe a three team trade with the Magic, Lakers, and Rockets.

Magic get Bynum, M. Morris (Hou), Terrence Jones (Hou), Lakers 1st Round Pick
Lakers get Howard, Scola, Lowry
Rockets get Gasol,

I agree with you Z... I thought he was the one to keep the titles away from Miami in the east but either the magic owners crapped the bead or he did... very confusing situation, and why would you really trade a lot for him coming off a injury.. Where does he land I wonder?

I'm just fucking tired of Howard changing his mind..this shit needs to end soon. I can't take another season of him on and off of his period. "I wanna stay, I wanna leave, fire the coach, nevermind I'm leaving, my mom wants me to stay in ORL so I'm staying, I'm ready to sign, I'm gonna sleep on it, I don't wanna sign, trade me to the nets, hold on I'll sign a one year deal, wait NOW trade me to the Nets.....

Stupid NBA. They won't get anything useful from the Nets. If I was the magic I'd just tell Howard he ain't going nowhere. Let him suffer for a year.

Stupid NBA. They won't get anything useful from the Nets. If I was the magic I'd just tell Howard he ain't going nowhere. Let him suffer for a year.

They can still trade him to any team they want. Houston was acquiring all of those first round picks trying to get Howard.

Does he have to go though? Not sure if NBA has no trade clauses and stuff.

I am sick of the all this I need to go to a large market BS. I really wanted OKC to win it all because well I hate Lebron.

The Magic can trade him to any team but that team is risking losing what ever they traded to get him because he could be gone next year and they get nothing unless they manage to do a sign and trade but even then they wont get much.

Yeah I dont think I watched more than a few minutes here and there. I love college balll but I just cant stomach the NBA game.

Seriously this is why the NBA sucks. A star player who would rather be in a big market (Howard wants to go to Brooklyn even if Deron Williams leaves) can just force his way there.

Even better the Nets just acquired Joe Johnson for 4 scrubs (really bad scrubs) and a late 1st round future pick. Wha? Seriously.... I get the cap relief for Atlanta but umm no.

What are the Magic gonna get from the Nets? Marshon Brooks, Brook Lopez (sign n trade), and 2013 1st Round Pick? Fuck that. Oh wait maybe they can sign and trade Humphries too....

Stupid stupid stupid. Nets will get Joe Johnson, Dwight Howard, and use their MLE on someone like Beasley, Randolph, Hickson, or Jeff Green and have a really good starting 5. ALL BECAUSE THEY MOVED TO BROOKLYN....dumb.

Brook Lopez, Mershon Brooks and 3 1st rounders in the proposed deal..thats about as good as you can get for an expiring deal.

Seriously this is why the NBA sucks. A star player who would rather be in a big market (Howard wants to go to Brooklyn even if Deron Williams leaves) can just force his way there.

Even better the Nets just acquired Joe Johnson for 4 scrubs (really bad scrubs) and a late 1st round future pick. Wha? Seriously.... I get the cap relief for Atlanta but umm no.

What are the Magic gonna get from the Nets? Marshon Brooks, Brook Lopez (sign n trade), and 2013 1st Round Pick? Fuck that. Oh wait maybe they can sign and trade Humphries too....

Stupid stupid stupid. Nets will get Joe Johnson, Dwight Howard, and use their MLE on someone like Beasley, Randolph, Hickson, or Jeff Green and have a really good starting 5. ALL BECAUSE THEY MOVED TO BROOKLYN....dumb.

How is Howard "forcing" his way to Brooklyn. Whats the difference if he does it now and the Magic get something back or he just leaves at the end of the year n signs anyway? You don't make a lot of sense here. It's not like he's in year 2 of a 6 year deal and said get me out of here but only to Brooklyn.

The Hawks situation is different as well because they have a new GM who obviously doesn't want to be drug down by the team that was constructed before he got there. Joe Johnson has a terrible contract and he got it out of there. Good job by him. Also traded Marvin Williams for Devin Harris. The hawks haven't had a PG in awhile. Harris isn't a superstar but he'll help. He's done a fantastic job thus far.

Last edited:
Howard is forcing his way by saying I will only play for them. Meaning the Magic can't get adequate value. And whats funny is that proposed trade I made up, that sarcastic offer is the ACTUAL OFFER NOW.

If a player wants to be traded for various reasons, let him. But, when a player under contract tells the team what team(s). And then tells other teams if Im traded to your team I won't play. These players are being straight up prima dona bitches. And it hurts because now I dont know what to do with my Howard Jersey

Howard is forcing his way by saying I will only play for them. Meaning the Magic can't get adequate value. And whats funny is that proposed trade I made up, that sarcastic offer is the ACTUAL OFFER NOW.

If a player wants to be traded for various reasons, let him. But, when a player under contract tells the team what team(s). And then tells other teams if Im traded to your team I won't play. These players are being straight up prima dona bitches. And it hurts because now I dont know what to do with my Howard Jersey

You're wrong on this one. No one in the last few years has said "IF you trade me here I won't play." They said "if you trade me here I won't sign long term." Biiiig difference. Why should the Orlando Magic/Houston Rockets be able to take away his rights to free agency? Howard is giving a heads up that if he's traded its as a rental player. Nothing wrong with that at all. He hasn't said he won't play for the Magic, he hasn't said he won't play for another team..he just said Brooklyn is his preferred destination and he's going to sign there when he's able to. No different than ANY other free agents right in the last 20 years. Its not being a prima dona. Being a prima dona is what he's doing by flip flopping and going public with a statement every month on what he's going to do.

I have no problem with Howard being honest about his final destination.The 1st thing teams would do in a trade anyway is say the deal is pending on a Howard contract extension..so it's really not a big deal.

To be fair, Howard has been at the whim of Orlando for over 7 years. What other job is there where you are forced to work for a company not of your choosing at less than your market value for 4 years, and then that company can retain you even if you sign an offer with someone else. Howard is being childish here, and certainly it's frustrating to see. But at the same time, this is the only chance he's had thus far to make any real decisions about his future.

Rookie stars can't force their way out. Even older stars have no leverage until the last year of their second contract (generally 7th or 8th year in the league). That's not exactly forcing their way out. If a team can't surround a star with other stars or quality role players in 7 years, they probably never will.

Obviously the professional, grown up thing for these guys to do would be saying, "Hey GM, I'm going to be declining my player option and won't be re-signing with the team. Here are the teams I will sign extensions with if you want to get the best deal, but do what you need to do." It's not ideal for the teams losing said player (Orlando, Cleveland, Toronto), but at least they know they've failed and should move on.

Brook Lopez, Mershon Brooks and 3 1st rounders in the proposed deal..thats about as good as you can get for an expiring deal.

How is Howard "forcing" his way to Brooklyn. Whats the difference if he does it now and the Magic get something back or he just leaves at the end of the year n signs anyway? You don't make a lot of sense here. It's not like he's in year 2 of a 6 year deal and said get me out of here but only to Brooklyn.

The Hawks situation is different as well because they have a new GM who obviously doesn't want to be drug down by the team that was constructed before he got there. Joe Johnson has a terrible contract and he got it out of there. Good job by him. Also traded Marvin Williams for Devin Harris. The hawks haven't had a PG in awhile. Harris isn't a superstar but he'll help. He's done a fantastic job thus far.

I don't know any of those names, its been a while for me since watching the NBA.

But an expiring contract in say baseball, and we're talking a July deal so half year rental because possible FA -- big time players cost a bundle.

Probably too much but good players or I should say the team losing the good player should get a nice haul. NBA is just so dumb, everyone knows where he wants to go so the deal will be weak.

So its either take a bunch of crap or get nothing. They're pretty much the same thing.

To be fair, Howard has been at the whim of Orlando for over 7 years. What other job is there where you are forced to work for a company not of your choosing at less than your market value for 4 years, and then that company can retain you even if you sign an offer with someone else. Howard is being childish here, and certainly it's frustrating to see. But at the same time, this is the only chance he's had thus far to make any real decisions about his future.

Rookie stars can't force their way out. Even older stars have no leverage until the last year of their second contract (generally 7th or 8th year in the league). That's not exactly forcing their way out. If a team can't surround a star with other stars or quality role players in 7 years, they probably never will.

Obviously the professional, grown up thing for these guys to do would be saying, "Hey GM, I'm going to be declining my player option and won't be re-signing with the team. Here are the teams I will sign extensions with if you want to get the best deal, but do what you need to do." It's not ideal for the teams losing said player (Orlando, Cleveland, Toronto), but at least they know they've failed and should move on.

Exactly..if Orlando doesn't like it, they can sit on their hands and wait for him to leave the way free agency was set up. If you wait until the expiration year to trade a star, thats your choosing and you'll be at the mercy of who he'll sign an extension with or what a team is willing to give you for a rental. It's not the stars fault.

I'm as fed up with Howards flip flopping shit as anyone but I don't care that he's choosing where he wants to play long term. Thats his right as a free agent who has/is fulfilling his obligations of his past/current contract.

No issues with him saying he wants to go to Brooklyn.

Last edited:
I don't know any of those names, its been a while for me since watching the NBA.

But an expiring contract in say baseball, and we're talking a July deal so half year rental because possible FA -- big time players cost a bundle.

Probably too much but good players or I should say the team losing the good player should get a nice haul. NBA is just so dumb, everyone knows where he wants to go so the deal will be weak.

So its either take a bunch of crap or get nothing. They're pretty much the same thing.

The MLB also has giant rosters with prospects where the NBA is 12-15 men deep. There aren't a ton of teams who have "prospects" to trade for Howard. Lopez is a top young center in the league (top 4-5ish probably) and 3 1st round picks are basically the baseball prospects. Mershon Brooks was a good scorer last yer in his rookie season so thats also more young talent. It's a good deal for a guy whos leaving anyway. In basketball they USUALLY don't trade for an expiring star unless he signs an extension so whats the difference of him making it known, or a deal happening but then being rejected because he wants to opt for free agency?

I don't see why you hate this so much..

Howard could of hit free agency earlier in his career but decided to stay with the Magic. Thats how he is making 18+ million a year. And the way Howard said the only team I will play for is the Nets, makes me think that if he was traded to any other team that it would be some huge saga that wouldn't be good for any team.

3 first round picks are garbage. They will all be real late first round picks and they are spread out over 5 years. The Magic after this trade will still be in salary cap trouble thanks to Richardson's and Hedo's deals. Brook Lopez sure could be considered a top 5 center in the league but he's not and after the first couple centers on a list like that the rest are average. Lopez can't rebound, defend, or block shots and coming off a major injury. Seems like he is a glorified Micheal Doleac. Marshon Brooks is a very nice player but he doesn't project to being an all-star.

I hate this so much because the Magic are being screwed. If Dwight Howard doesn't force a trade to the Nets it gives the Magic the ability to trade him and get actual assets. Like Andrew Bynum, or 4-5 young players and picks from the Rockets, or young player(s), picks, and a huge trade exception from the Mavs.

The problem isn't that Howard wants to play in Brooklyn that is his choice if he is a free agent. However he isn't a free agent, thanks to the contract he signed and then opted into. So sure he can ask for a trade, but to narrow the list down to 1 team. When the Nets offered the same dumb deal last year and the magic laughed at it. Now the Magic have to take a sub par deal, not because they back themselves into a corner, but because Howard flat out turned away all the other teams with his actions. Its as if Dwight Howard is the GM of the Magic, because their new GM doesn't get to make this decision its already been made.

First, Howard is only now getting near free agency because the rules preclude him from ever being able to change teams by choice for the first two contracts (7-9 years) of his career. It wasn't like he ever had a realistic chance to leave.

Second, Orlando doesn't have to trade him to NJ, nor is the comparison in different packages useful. The comparison is not NJ's deal compared to what teams would offer if he was signed for the next 4 years. The comparison is the NJ deal to losing Howard in FA and getting nothing in return.

Third, Orlando screwed itself for years before this happened. They traded for Arenas, the worst contract ever. They kept throwing money at middling or bad players, and never built anything sustainably great outside Dwight. Dwight leaving now is a symptom of their incompetence, not a slap in the face of someone doing a good job. San Antonio never had trouble keeping players or signing vets because they always had a good team and front office. OKC has been able to lock up everyone they wanted to keep and often to great contracts. Orlando as a city has more pull than OKC or San Antonio, so the only reason they haven't made a better team is bad decision making.

Back