Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Dwight Howard

The problem isn't that Howard wants to play in Brooklyn that is his choice if he is a free agent. However he isn't a free agent, thanks to the contract he signed and then opted into. So sure he can ask for a trade, but to narrow the list down to 1 team. When the Nets offered the same dumb deal last year and the magic laughed at it. Now the Magic have to take a sub par deal, not because they back themselves into a corner, but because Howard flat out turned away all the other teams with his actions. Its as if Dwight Howard is the GM of the Magic, because their new GM doesn't get to make this decision its already been made.

This is all so bad.... they would never get Bynum or anyone of value unless he would sign an extension. What don't you get? No one is trading huge value for a guy if he's not willing to sign the extension. The lakers aren't taking the chance of trading one of the best centers in the world and other things for a guy unless they're sure he's not leaving in 12 months. The Magic aren't getting screwed. 3 1st round picks can always be bundled to get another player. Also, late 1st rounders aren't always terrible. They may not be lottery picks but it's not like no ones ever gotten good players with those picks. You sign stars, then you draft role players in the late 1st round. Maybe they bud into stars.

You just aren't getting it man.

This is all so bad.... they would never get Bynum or anyone of value unless he would sign an extension. What don't you get? No one is trading huge value for a guy if he's not willing to sign the extension. The lakers aren't taking the chance of trading one of the best centers in the world and other things for a guy unless they're sure he's not leaving in 12 months. The Magic aren't getting screwed. 3 1st round picks can always be bundled to get another player. Also, late 1st rounders aren't always terrible. They may not be lottery picks but it's not like no ones ever gotten good players with those picks. You sign stars, then you draft role players in the late 1st round. Maybe they bud into stars.

You just aren't getting it man.

EXACTLY THATS MY POINT. No one else is going to trade for Dwight because he wont sign an extension. One way or another he is going to brooklyn, forcing the Magic to trade him or let him play one season (where he will be very disgruntled) then leave. The problem is that the Nets don't have the value to trade in return for Howard. But, its not there problem they will throw junk and multiple 1st Rounders and get the best big man in the league. While the Magic get screwed.

And the Magic can't sign anyone because they are cap strapped and will be for the next three years. And sure late 1st round picks sometimes come through but thats the exception not the rule.

EXACTLY THATS MY POINT. No one else is going to trade for Dwight because he wont sign an extension. One way or another he is going to brooklyn, forcing the Magic to trade him or let him play one season (where he will be very disgruntled) then leave. The problem is that the Nets don't have the value to trade in return for Howard. But, its not there problem they will throw junk and multiple 1st Rounders and get the best big man in the league. While the Magic get screwed.

And the Magic can't sign anyone because they are cap strapped and will be for the next three years. And sure late 1st round picks sometimes come through but thats the exception not the rule.

Good lord..you've posted some good stuff the forum so I don't understand why you're not getting this but here I go again. We'll try this another way.

After an NBA players contract is up, is it that players right to sign wherever he chooses/is offered?

YES

If that NBA player knows where he would like to go is it ok for him to let his team know so that they can try to get SOMETHING in return for him?

YES...it's actually a nice move by the star sometimes.

Is the player forcing his way/handcuffing his current team by only wanting to be traded to one team in the league?

Absolutely not. He could just keep quiet and let every deal fall through after not signing an extension untill he becomes a free agent and leaves the Magic with nothing in return. (which is what used to happen all the time)

Should he be forced to sign an extension somewhere so the Magic can get the value they want for him?

Absolutely not..you're basically asking him to turn down free agency to help what will be his former team.

Is it Howards fault the Magic won't be able to trade him to other teams?

No. If the Magic wanted to trade him wherever they wanted, it needed to be done a couple years ago..the thought of them not being able to trade him because he won't sign extensions and give up his right as a free agent being his problem/fault is ridiculous.

Is Brook Lopez and 3 1st rounders garbage?

No. It may not be the same quality of Howard, but how many other teams have gotten the same quality back in a trade for their expiring contract?

Is this a problem with the NBA system?

No...in actuality the way it's set up is no different than other sports. You sign a deal. You play out the contract..you sign with whoever you want. Teams like the Magic are just taking advantage of their knowledge, knowing he's not coming back n trying to get something for him. Whats the big deal? Who cares if they get scrubs back..he's going to be a free agent. Would you be pissed if he just played out this year with the magic, no trades were even thought of and he signed with Indiana next year? Thats what free agency is. The Magic are trying to cash in on Howards free agency and you're mad at Howard. Makes no sense.

If Howard wasn't so flip flopped the Magic wouldn't be trading him at all because he wouldn't sign an extension to a team he doesn't want to play for, the Nets would stand pat, and sign him next season. (assuming if that were the case they wouldn't trade for JJ)

If the Nets wanted Kimba Walker but the Bobcats would only take Howard if he signed an extension, would you be mad Howard doesn't wanna sign the contract n waste his last valuable years in Charlotte? What about Toronto, would you be pissed if he wont sign an extension to go live in Toronto if the Magic really want Bargnani, Calderon, Derozan n some picks? Would he be "forcing his way?"..no, he's basically just opting for free agency..he's just saying, hey if you wanna get something for me I'll be happy to go to tBrooklyn early.

If Dwight had no idea where he wanted to play, he probably still wouldn't be traded for anything because he wouldn't sign an extension when the deal would go down. All he's doing is taking up his right as a free agent like anyone else. No biggie.

Last edited:
Yeah but telling the Magic there is only one team to trade him to. And then saying I won't re-up with anyone else (pushing other potential suitors away) really puts the Magic at a disadvantage. I have no problem with him telling the Magic in advance that he plans to leave. But narrowing the Magic's trade options down to one team that can't supply a valuable offer hurts. Sure the Magic can get something instead of nothing, but that shouldnt happen. The Magic should be able to get close to market value for a player of Howards ability.

Howard is forcing the Magic to take a sub-par deal because its the only deal that gets what he wants. What about what the Magic want? Sure they could let him go in free agency (but thats really not an option is it?). Trade him to some other team? What team is gonna give top value for a rental? The Best deal the Magic can get is a sub par deal that they are cornered into.

I love Howard by the way, he is my favorite NBA player and the Magic my 2nd favorite team. But he could at least give a few other teams he would consider, I mean come on. I miss players like Tim Duncan. I really miss the NBA of the 90s

Whats fun now is even if he gets traded to a different team, it looks like the Nets no longer will have the cap space to sign him.

If I was the Magic I'll trade Howard to the worst team possible.

thats easy...you make it conditional on him signing an extension.

Yeah but telling the Magic there is only one team to trade him to. And then saying I won't re-up with anyone else (pushing other potential suitors away) really puts the Magic at a disadvantage. I have no problem with him telling the Magic in advance that he plans to leave. But narrowing the Magic's trade options down to one team that can't supply a valuable offer hurts. Sure the Magic can get something instead of nothing, but that shouldnt happen. The Magic should be able to get close to market value for a player of Howards ability.

Howard is forcing the Magic to take a sub-par deal because its the only deal that gets what he wants. What about what the Magic want? Sure they could let him go in free agency (but thats really not an option is it?). Trade him to some other team? What team is gonna give top value for a rental? The Best deal the Magic can get is a sub par deal that they are cornered into.

I love Howard by the way, he is my favorite NBA player and the Magic my 2nd favorite team. But he could at least give a few other teams he would consider, I mean come on. I miss players like Tim Duncan. I really miss the NBA of the 90s

We just seem to be missing each other on every post. Lol

The point is Howard isn't narrowing who he'll play for. He's narowing who he'll sign an extension with. Even if he keeps his mouth shut and they try to trade him to LA, if he doesn't want to be there for 5 years and sign an extension the deal won't happen. How is that Howards fault? IWhat I'm trying to tell you is YOU are asking Howard to bypass free agency so the Magic can get top value for him..how does that make sense?

If you want top value for a guy, you trade him 2 years before his deal is up.

Honestly, it is ridiculous how terrible of a team they have surrounded Howard with.

And the Magic are lucky that he didn't become a free agent after this last season. I would be stunned if they didn't trade him this year, but looking at some of the previous moves, I guess I wouldn't be all that surprised. If they could nab Lopez, Brooks and 3 first round picks, they should just do it.

As I previously posted, the Magic get screwed because of the "I only want to go there" scenario.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/sto...th-team-possibly-complete-dwight-howard-trade

As I said, they screwed themselves by waiting until he was an expiring contract. Howard has every right to choose where he wants to go at this point in his contract. The only way Howard would be in the wrong is if they traded him to a team as a rental and he said "I'm not playing here."

As far as I know/have heard, Howard just won't sign an extension with any team other than Brooklyn. No problem there.

They still are getting screwed the Magic can't get fair value thanks to Howards demands. And yes its nice that he is letting everyone know where he wants to go next in his career but that doesnt change the fact that the Magic are getting screwed.

They still are getting screwed the Magic can't get fair value thanks to Howards demands. And yes its nice that he is letting everyone know where he wants to go next in his career but that doesnt change the fact that the Magic are getting screwed.

smh.... they are not getting screwed. They are getting fair value for an expiring contract. If they wanted total value they should have traded them when they had the chance.

The Magic get screwed because they never built a consistently good team around Dwight. He likes Orlando, and I guarantee he would have already signed an extension if they were perennial contenders (like SA and OKC have managed in less desirable markets).

The Magic screwed themselves with consistently terrible trades and contracts. Dwight leaving is a symptom of a greater problem. He has every right to say where he wants to go, just as the Magic have every right to trade him somewhere else. The Magic were going to get pennies on the dollar anyway, because they waited until the very last year of Dwight's contract (when EVERYONE knows he's leaving anyway) to make a trade.

The Magic get screwed because they never built a consistently good team around Dwight. He likes Orlando, and I guarantee he would have already signed an extension if they were perennial contenders (like SA and OKC have managed in less desirable markets).

The Magic screwed themselves with consistently terrible trades and contracts. Dwight leaving is a symptom of a greater problem. He has every right to say where he wants to go, just as the Magic have every right to trade him somewhere else. The Magic were going to get pennies on the dollar anyway, because they waited until the very last year of Dwight's contract (when EVERYONE knows he's leaving anyway) to make a trade.

EXACTLY..I odn't understand what is so hard to see here. When you wait to trade ANYBODY until the last year of a deal, you are at the mercy of the other team either renting them or trading him to a place that he's comfortable. If Howard had no idea where he wanted to play and wouldn't sign an extension anywhere, you'd still get low level value .

smh.... they are not getting screwed. They are getting fair value for an expiring contract. If they wanted total value they should have traded them when they had the chance.

Then the NBA sucks, not surprised of course. Big players should get big offers, even for a rental.

Just look at baseball, teams give up many of good prospects for a 2 month rental.

Those 1st round picks are shit. You basically just gave away Howard for free.

Then the NBA sucks, not surprised of course. Big players should get big offers, even for a rental.

Just look at baseball, teams give up many of good prospects for a 2 month rental.

Those 1st round picks are shit. You basically just gave away Howard for free.

Basketball doesn't have prospects, thats where your arguement is flawed. Draft pick are the prospects. You guys act like anyone short of Andrew Bynum is free anyway. Whats a fair price for Dwight Howard?

Basketball doesn't have prospects, thats where your arguement is flawed. Draft pick are the prospects. You guys act like anyone short of Andrew Bynum is free anyway. Whats a fair price for Dwight Howard?

No idea, I don't even follow the NBA ;-). What I was getting at, a player should get equal worth or close to that even for a 1 year rental. But in this case its not a 1 year rental, he wants to sign with the Nets.

As far as draft picks go I hear all the time unless you get a top 10 pick they're almost worthless. If you were a Magics fan would you be happy with 3 late 1st round pick? Of course one is a protected pick so not sure what pick that will be but come on.

And all you get is "well when he's in his last year what can you expect". That shouldn't matter.

Pay attention to the MLB trade deadline, Mitch. I think you'll find that being in the last year of a deal matters quite a bit there as well. Look at the absurd asking price for Jed Lowrie for example. Because he's under club control they were mentioning bigtime prospects for him.

Last edited:
No idea, I don't even follow the NBA ;-). What I was getting at, a player should get equal worth or close to that even for a 1 year rental. But in this case its not a 1 year rental, he wants to sign with the Nets.

As far as draft picks go I hear all the time unless you get a top 10 pick they're almost worthless. If you were a Magics fan would you be happy with 3 late 1st round pick? Of course one is a protected pick so not sure what pick that will be but come on.

And all you get is "well when he's in his last year what can you expect". That shouldn't matter.

It should matter though because the Nets don't have to pull the trade, they can wait till next year, sign Howard and leave the Magic with nothing if they choose to.

If you were the owner of the Nets and knew a guy wanted to sign with you next season, would you give full value to have him a year early. No, you use whatever you can as leverage. The Magic forfeited leverage by keeping him to this point. 2 years ago someone would have traded a top 5 pick and any good players they had for Howard.

Last edited:
Back