Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Dwight Howard

Regardless who is to blame it's a shitty trade for them. I'll rather get nothing in 12 months but have Howard for a year longer that the trade they made. They made their team worst, will not get better in the near future and gave up a star. F, F, and F.

This was a ridiculously dumb trade on the part of the Magic. If they wanted to blow everything up, they should have done the Houston deal. Houston had all the first rounders in the world and was willing to take back a bad contract or two. Orlando literally got the least possible value of all trades here. It's like Orlando was actively trying to make every team involved but itself better off.

This was a ridiculously dumb trade on the part of the Magic. If they wanted to blow everything up, they should have done the Houston deal. Houston had all the first rounders in the world and was willing to take back a bad contract or two. Orlando literally got the least possible value of all trades here. It's like Orlando was actively trying to make every team involved but itself better off.

Exactly..they handled this the worst way possible...no player should be blamed for it. Like Mitch said, I would have sooner just let him walk at the end of the year.

Houston trade was going to happen according to ESPN, except two things that no one thought would happen randomly did. That is New York and Chicago both declining on two RFA that they said they would match (Lin, Asik). Houston even went to all the trouble of amnestying Luis Scola to clear enough space to take back those bad contracts. But again for some unknown reason Lin and Asik contracts were not matched even though nearly a 100% of experts thought both deals were going to be matched. That's why the rumor started about Stern making sure Howard didn't end up in a smaller market. In the end Stern wanted Howard in LA.

Stupid idea, but more I think about it, who knows.

Asik is not a mystery..Houston paid about 4X what he's worth an Chicago said goodluck. The real mystery is why Houston thought they had to go to such a ridiculous number for Chicago not to match.

Asik is not a mystery..Houston paid about 4X what he's worth an Chicago said goodluck. The real mystery is why Houston thought they had to go to such a ridiculous number for Chicago not to match.

I think Asik is underrated. He's practically a young Ben Wallace in limited minutes, and at least as good as Kendrick Perkins (who is overpaid, but not terribly). Asik probably deserved something like 6-7 million a year (big men are always more expensive and a backup with shutdown defense ability is valuable). Houston only has him counting against the cap around 8.5 a year, which isn't wildly overpaid. Yes, the final year is way more than he'll ever be worth, but Houston isn't hurting for money. The cap his is different for them than it would be for Chicago - so it's not an apples to apples comparison with the contract..

But that still doesn't make any sense for Howard. The Magic knew he wasn't staying, and waiting around for every decent deal to fall through was sheer stupidity. NJ was ready to make something work with Lopez, Houston had been clear about what it would do all along. Afflalo is a good player, but a role player - a shooter next to a real PG (not Nelson) or within a strong passing team. Harrington is literally another bad contract. How in the world did Orlando flip Howard for nothing but a role playing SG and some young backups?

Stupid NBA. They won't get anything useful from the Nets. If I was the magic I'd just tell Howard he ain't going nowhere. Let him suffer for a year.

Brook Lopez, Mershon Brooks and 3 1st rounders in the proposed deal..thats about as good as you can get for an expiring deal.

How is Howard "forcing" his way to Brooklyn. Whats the difference if he does it now and the Magic get something back or he just leaves at the end of the year n signs anyway? You don't make a lot of sense here. It's not like he's in year 2 of a 6 year deal and said get me out of here but only to Brooklyn.

The Hawks situation is different as well because they have a new GM who obviously doesn't want to be drug down by the team that was constructed before he got there. Joe Johnson has a terrible contract and he got it out of there. Good job by him. Also traded Marvin Williams for Devin Harris. The hawks haven't had a PG in awhile. Harris isn't a superstar but he'll help. He's done a fantastic job thus far.

Good thing the Magic didn't settle for Brook Lopez and 3 1st rounders

If I was the Magic I'll trade Howard to the worst team possible.

Came close

As I previously posted, the Magic get screwed because of the "I only want to go there" scenario.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/sto...th-team-possibly-complete-dwight-howard-trade

They still are getting screwed the Magic can't get fair value thanks to Howards demands. And yes its nice that he is letting everyone know where he wants to go next in his career but that doesnt change the fact that the Magic are getting screwed.

A top NBA center to fill Howards spot n 3 picks seems pretty fair

Why didn't Howard ask to go the Lakers or Spurs -- teams that compete every season. How much will the Nets improve with him, as in contending for a title - I mean they only won 22 games last season?

Is he going to ask for another trade in 2 years?

Good thing he didn't pick the Nets over LA

He might realize something is better than nothing but he might be saying Howard for the year might be better than what they're getting.

I think he realized the draft picks that were offered are worth shit.

Good thing he realized the nothing Brooklyn offered wasn't as good as ...wait..what did they get again?

Back