Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Reality Check

jared

I'm expecting it to be very apparent that we still have work to do before becoming a viable playoff team after the first half tomorrow night.

Kool Aid and cornbread sales will decline sharply I think. I'd love to be wrong, but I think the Pats are going to embarass us.

It's preseason. I wouldn't put too much stock into it whether the Lions are up 40 or down 40.

The starters just need to come out and perform. So far this preseason the offense has looked great. It looked great last preseason and with Stafford starting in looked great in game 1. This defense has looked improved but they still have work to do. Mostly continuity with so many new guys. But i wont temper my enthusiasm until we are eliminated from playoff contention.

The pats will expose our weaknesses, its good were playing them now so we know what to work on before they start to count.

It's just a preseason game so i wouldn't have a panic attack if they lost. I only hope every one comes out healthy.

I can't lie, I would at least like to see a successful drive from the first team. Not that we would have to match them in points, but just good ball movement at some point in the first half. I'd also like to see the defense get some pressure. That's about it though; I wouldn't go comparing our team to theirs and thinking that the final score meant anything.

Things i'll watch:

Stafford: He has been dominant this preseason against the Bungles and Brownies can he have continued success throwing the ball against the Pats. Stafford also hasn't taken a substantial hit yet so we'll likely see that happen this game against a Pats Defense that has gotten good pressure this preseason.

Running Game with Harrison/Bell: These guys have had some significant practice time now and each will be fighting for their spot on the depth chart or squad. However any improvement in understanding may be moot if our oline can't open any holes. I will be interested in seeing Hilliard inside if he gets significant time there as I think he is one of our best run blockers.

Our front seven: Pressure was absent at times against the Browns and if that happens tomorrow Brady will pick us apart. Cincy was able to gash us early with the run and the Pats are a very underrated running team with a power based attack behind their line and BJGE. Can our new/improved linebacker core make the tackle for short gains? Finally can we cover the tight ends, as we'll face two good tight ends in Hernandez and Gronkowski.

Our DBs: Specifically our safety play, looking for the continual improvement of Spievey and how Delmas and him communicate back there. Delmas has not looked his stunning self yet this preseason. Our top corners I'm not too worried about other than limiting the BIG play (see Carlton last year or the 40 yard bomb variety. They are going to get beat (its Brady throwing the ball out there) but big plays can be deflators and really swing the momentum in the other teams favor.

Things I won't pay too much attention too:

Titus Young: this is a trial run for a young guy coming off a prolonged hammy injury. I am not expecting much from him tomorrow night and doubt he'll play too many snaps. If he does break out with a big play so much the better.

The score: The score doesn't matter here, but would like to see two scores from the first team O (at least one being a TD), no turnovers and potentially a turnover on D, which they did a great job of last game.

1st Its preseason.

2nd we were tied 24-24 in 3 quarters with NE last season. So everyone says we've improved yet we're going to get bitch slapped tomorrow?

And lastly, its preseason.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]1st Its preseason.

2nd we were tied 24-24 in 3 quarters with NE last season. So everyone says we've improved yet we're going to get bitch slapped tomorrow?

And lastly, its preseason.

ther Browns descimated the Pats last year...who cares if it was 24 - 24 , once they found Alphonso Smith it got ugly.

Is that all you got, the Browns. Fuck the Browns. Why not make that your new sig you Canuck bastard.

cheeno said:
Our front seven: Pressure was absent at times against the Browns and if that happens tomorrow Brady will pick us apart. Cincy was able to gash us early with the run and the Pats are a very underrated running team with a power based attack behind their line and BJGE. Can our new/improved linebacker core make the tackle for short gains? Finally can we cover the tight ends, as we'll face two good tight ends in Hernandez and Gronkowski.

Agree with this, I'm also interested in seeing how well the LBs will be covering those short passes the Pats will likely throw at the Lions.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Is that all you got, the Browns. Fuck the Browns. Why not make that your new sig you Canuck bastard.

it's all I need Slappy.

Romneybot said:
cheeno said:

Agree with this, I'm also interested in seeing how well the LBs will be covering those short passes the Pats will likely throw at the Lions.

the Lions dont have a LB that can run with Aaron Hernandez and don't have a Safety that can deal with Welker.

if it were the regular season , you'd see the Lions most likely in dime 75% of the game.

NE is one of the few teams that present a true nightmare for teams liek the Lions who lack coverage talent.

all kinds of pressure on our DLINE to bring it for 4 quarters , which I don't think they're capable of.

The pats are one of the best teams in the NFL. Last year it was close for a little while but the dline got tired and the offense faltered. This defense is better but the secondary would need to play perfect for us to win a real game against them.

SLICK said:
Romneybot said:

the Lions dont have a LB that can run with Aaron Hernandez and don't have a Safety that can deal with Welker.

if it were the regular season , you'd see the Lions most likely in dime 75% of the game.

NE is one of the few teams that present a true nightmare for teams liek the Lions who lack coverage talent.

all kinds of pressure on our DLINE to bring it for 4 quarters , which I don't think they're capable of.

I guess were in trouble, rolls eyes

I agree with Slick. This will be a very good test for our LB coverage with those Tight Ends and Welker to deal with for 2 plus Quarters. Luckily, they can't find Alphonso Smith because he will be on the sidelines with a hurt foot.

Scoring points I'm not worried about. We put mid 20s up on them last season and now we have Stafford. RB improvement would be nice though. But in the end it's just preseason. Can't wait until the bullets start to fly agains the Bucs.

I doubt the team game plans anywhere near what they would do in the regular season, preseason is just that

tsmith7559 said:
SLICK said:

I guess were in trouble, rolls eyes

We are in trouble.....wait for it.

Back