Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

If we got rid of a few players would this team be.

tigers99888

Much better? I'm talking about guys like Magglio, Inge, Penny, Raburn, Kelly and possibly Pauley.. It's fairly obvious to say yes, but do we have legit minor league talent ready to step in? I never wanted Turner brought up this year and wanted him late 2012 at the earliest.. I liked the midseason acquisitions, but we did give up some talent that helped platooned for this team.. Tigers do have some guys in AAA that could be regulars like Dirks, Streiby, Rhymes and Worth.. But I'm wondering if said players would be liabilities like the current ones we have on the rosters.. Remember, the Tigers have a weak farm system in comparison to most other MLB teams..

Pauley is too young to just getnrid of him. Plus leyland sits him for so long how could be effective?

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Pauley is too young to just getnrid of him. Plus leyland sits him for so long how could be effective?
I agree but it just looks like he needs to go to another team.. I just don't think he'll be a success here.. It surely looks like he's in Leyland's doghouse so how will he ever have a chance to improve?

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Pauley is too young to just getnrid of him. Plus leyland sits him for so long how could be effective?
this. today was only his 2nd outing in TWO WEEKS. its hard to stay fresh and be effective when you're off that long, especially if you're a control pitcher like pauley is. leyland continues to mishandle the bullpen.

we'd damn sure be better without all of them minus pauley (and probably penny, who will get replaced by turner next year but we dont really have anyone to throw in his rotation spot right now who would do significantly better). imo we could feasibly replace them all but kelly (he's still useful as a jack-of-all trades, though leyland should be handcuffed on when to use him so that he doesnt start too much).

drop maggs and bring dirks back
drop inge and keep worth up
drop raburn and replace him with a tackling dummy (i kid, i kid...he's hitting marginally well enough right now to warrant seeing him in the OF occasionally, but we should cut ties with him after the season)

just my two cents on this matter. its not like any of this will happen though, and you can be sure leyland would still overuse kelly and fuck up the lineup.

tigers99888 said:
[color=#006400 said:
I agree but it just looks like he needs to go to another team.. I just don't think he'll be a success here.. It surely looks like he's in Leyland's doghouse so how will he ever have a chance to improve?

Based on what?

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
tigers99888 said:

Based on what?
It was said on the radio that Leyland doesn't trust him fully, plus look at his playing time..

Why does everyone let Porcello off the hook? Also, Raburn isn't really that bad of a hitter and if he's used as a 4th OF isn't that bad. However, I really don't want to see him in the infield. Kelly is a good utility player, but he's used way too, much, as a once a week player he wouldn't be bad. I think Inge, Maggs, Penny, and Porcello are hurting the team right now, though.

Porcello is in the same boat as penny, we dont have anyone better to replace him with right now. i still wish we'd have traded him for halladay when toronto wanted him.

porcello also has it in him to occasionally dominate for stretches like he did in july. he just has no consistency, he's had little opportunity to work on his breaking and offspeed pitches in the bigs, so when his sinker doesnt sink he's fucked.

jh1spartanfan said:
Why does everyone let Porcello off the hook?
Well he's only 22 but he definitely could use a AAA stint right about now..

One, Porcello is enough that he can still figure things out. Two, Raburn is a first half misery. Not sure anyone wants to put up with him for 3 months before he starts hitting.

I think every player listed is being overrated by the OP.

Rhymes and Worth will never, ever be decent full time players. Rhymes is a bad fielder and a singles hitter that doesn't get enough singles. Worth's career minor league OPB is .320.

Dirks will probably be in the majors for a while. I highly doubt he'll be a full time player ever. There's a chance, though, I guess.

Strieby has no defensive value and has yet to post a AAA season with a +.800 OPS. He's not on track for more than a cup of coffee at the major league level.

Just because you're frustrated with some of the veterans, that alone does not make career minor league players decent. Miracles can happen, but none of those guys are good prospects.

JimRice said:
I think every player listed is being overrated by the OP.
I didn't overrate anyone I said they would possibly make good platooners..

Rhymes and Worth will never, ever be decent full time players. Rhymes is a bad fielder and a singles hitter that doesn't get enough singles. Worth's career minor league OPB is .320.
Rhymes is pretty reliable at 2nd in part time duty.. No one is saying Worth is a legit full time player

Dirks will probably be in the majors for a while. I highly doubt he'll be a full time player ever. There's a chance, though, I guess.
I agree although I think he has a chance to be a decent 3rd outfielder

Strieby has no defensive value and has yet to post a AAA season with a +.800 OPS. He's not on track for more than a cup of coffee at the major league level.

Just because you're frustrated with some of the veterans, that alone does not make career minor league players decent. Miracles can happen, but none of those guys are good prospects.
I think everyone knows Streiby K's alot and has no defensive abilities whatsoever, but with what Magglio has shown in his time up here, he would be at worst the same but with some power.. He would fullfill a Marcus Thames role from a few years back.. No one said the minor leaguers are decent.. I'm just starting a discussion on whether they would make decent part time players for the rest of THIS year..

Did you just say with Miggy, Streiby could be at worse, the same but with some power?

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Did you just say with Miggy, Streiby could be at worse, the same but with some power?
Err meant Magglio.. Type I'll edit that LOL!!

Why get rid of Kelly?

He can't hit for shit, but half the players in the MLB this year can't, his value is as a super utility-man.

Nice guy to have sitting on the bench when someone goes down, at any position.

The problem is guys like Raburn, who don't hit for shit except once in a while, and are horrible defenders full time.

And before someone makes the excuse that he gets hot late in the second half, ask yourself if you really want a guy on the roster who is useless for 81-100+ games.

I actually don't mind Kelly at all.. I'm just mentioning him because he is one of the main players we hear about from most fans being a black hole.. I don't want Pauley gone either, but I'm not sure Leyland ever gives him a chance..

Back