Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

If we got rid of a few players would this team be.

MI_Thumb said:
JimRice said:
Rhymes is not "pretty reliable". He's terrible defensively. And he can't hit.

A third outfielder is a starter. And Dirks would be fine, but it's not like having him in the minors is costing the Tigers games or anything.

Strieby probably would be better than Mags right now with the bat. The problem is that he doesn't play the same position. Strieby is a 1B/DH, and the Tigers have those spots covered. Strieby has never played Right Field and was terrible in left, so he hasn't played there this year. I'm not really in favor of dumping anyone, just so the Tigers can bring a guy up to watch Victor and Cabrera play.

.282 career hitter in MLB.
.291 career hitter in the minors.

He didn't do much this year, but did not get much of a chance either.

His overall numbers suggest he can hit.

Do a little research next time.

Oh, a whopping .282 BATTING AVERAGE! Welcome to 1978, I guess. You just schooled me with your ability to look up a guy's career average.

Instead of looking that up and calling it "research", you should learn a bit about what makes a hitter "good". Clue, a couple of bloop singles is not it.

batcave76 said:
I think guys like Dirks, Worth, Rymes are a dime a dozen. As has been pointed out b4, virtually every team has these types. They're borderline MLers. They can be used as backups, role players, brought up in a pinch but I doubt you can count on them for anything more than that.

Not much but the only post in this stupid thread worth a damn. We need some young studs, not young bench players that might hit .260. With 10 HR.

I don't mind a player like that, a platoon who can play multiple positions, like Kelly. But not several. If we have Kelly, Dirks, Worth and Rymes all on the team next year its going to suck.

JimRice said:
MI_Thumb said:

Oh, a whopping .282 BATTING AVERAGE! Welcome to 1978, I guess. You just schooled me with your ability to look up a guy's career average.

Instead of looking that up and calling it "research", you should learn a bit about what makes a hitter "good". Clue, a couple of bloop singles is not it.
Using Rymes MLB BA, esp when the sample is basically minuscule, doesn't suggest a whole lotta interpretation of the "research"
shocked.gif

JimRice said:
MI_Thumb said:

1978? 2011 league average is .255

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/2011-standard-batting.shtml

So, then what is your criteria for saying he can't hit? Your personal intuition?

Like I said look at his number from MiLB, he hit over .300 several seasons.

You said he can't hit, his numbers suggest he can, or do you have a link to his "bloop singles" only ability?

The issue with Rhymes is at 28 he is supposed to be hitting AAA pitching. Even at 27. Most players develop up until age 25. They either need to be in the majors starting, or they are destined for career minor league or reserve duty.

Dirks is right on the cusp, along with Strieby.

rebbiv said:
Pauley Career

Home 90.3 IP 3.99 ERA 1.19 WHIP .681 OPP OPS 2.26 SO/BB

Away 89.0 IP 4.75 ERA 1.63 WHIP .801 OPP OPS 1.57 SO/BB

SAEFCO 75.6 IP 2.62 ERA 0.99 WHIP .584 OPP OPS 2.21 S)/BB

Oustide of SAEFCO, Pauley is a pretty bad relief pitcher, regardless of how he is used by Leyland.

Fister Career

Home 242.6 IP 3.34 ERA 1.16 WHIP .662 OPP OPS 3.17 SO/BB

Away 164.0 IP 4.45 ERA 1.37 WHIP .752 OPP OPS 2.62 SO/BB

SAEFCO 228.6 IP 3.42 ERA 1.16 WHIP .665 OPP OPS 3.07 SO/BB

Porcello Career

Home 238.6 IP 4.60 ERA 1.37 WHIP .758 OPP OPS 1.72 SO/BB

Away 236.6 IP 4.60 ERA 1.40 WHIP .756 OPP OPS 2.45 SO/BB

Porcello is 5 years younger than Fister and has very similar career away stats. Fister is nothing more than a #3 starter, at best. Porcello could develop into a #2, but is a #3.

Pauley is what he is, nothing special, but is low cost.
I'd say Porcello is a 4/5 that could develop into a 3.

Maybe I'm short-sighted, but I find it hard not to equate Porcello's career path with Galaragga's. This isn't to say Porcello doesn't have a much higher ceiling or that he can't turn it around, but that the high points of their careers have been sort of contingent on opposing teams not yet figuring them out is pretty essential. It seems a mental thing. I may be well wrong, but seeing Galaragga have a great year at the ass end of our rotation seemed a lot like watching Porcello's rookie year. No one saw it coming, but everyone saw it coming next time.

There is a lot of expectation that comes with prior performance. Rick is still young, and I really hope he can be a stalwart in our starting lineup. I'd love to see him be JV's protege. I just wish my hope of him becoming consistent wasn't outdone by my fear of him doing the opposite.

JimRice said:
tigers99888 said:
I didn't overrate anyone I said they would possibly make good platooners..

Rhymes is pretty reliable at 2nd in part time duty.. No one is saying Worth is a legit full time player

I agree although I think he has a chance to be a decent 3rd outfielder

I think everyone knows Streiby K's alot and has no defensive abilities whatsoever, but with what Magglio has shown in his time up here, he would be at worst the same but with some power.. He would fullfill a Marcus Thames role from a few years back.. No one said the minor leaguers are decent.. I'm just starting a discussion on whether they would make decent part time players for the rest of THIS year..

Rhymes is not "pretty reliable". He's terrible defensively. And he can't hit.

A third outfielder is a starter. And Dirks would be fine, but it's not like having him in the minors is costing the Tigers games or anything.

Strieby probably would be better than Mags right now with the bat. The problem is that he doesn't play the same position. Strieby is a 1B/DH, and the Tigers have those spots covered. Strieby has never played Right Field and was terrible in left, so he hasn't played there this year. I'm not really in favor of dumping anyone, just so the Tigers can bring a guy up to watch Victor and Cabrera play.
Strieby has played Corner OF as well.. If Dunn could play Corner OF so could Streiby in platoon situations.. You just want to start an arguement.. Rhymes was probably the most reliable 2nd baseman we had up here on defense if that says anything.. He's better than Guillen and much better than Raburn.. Him and Santiago are probably a push and neither can hit.. Some of you guys tend to RIP on Rhymes hardcore but are willing to give guys like Inge a free pass..

JimRice said:
tigers99888 said:
. Tigers do have some guys in AAA that could be regulars like Dirks, Streiby, Rhymes and Worth.. But I'm wondering if said players would be liabilities like the current ones we have on the rosters.. Remember, the Tigers have a weak farm system in comparison to most other MLB teams..

Yesterday at 11:03pm, JimRice wrote:

And your reply?

I didn't overrate anyone I said they would possibly make good platooners..

You didn't say "platoon", you said "regulars". Pants on fire.
How about rereading my first post instead of trying to start an argument.. First of all, I posted based on what I'm reading from other poster, not of my full opinion.. Secondly, the whole point was to start a discussion about possible replacements to the current liabilities THIS year..

JimRice said:
MI_Thumb said:

Much better than being a total liability at the plate with piss poor slash numbers like Inge, Magglio and 5 months out of the year Raburn.. I'd take a slap hitter over those bums anyday..

batcave76 said:
I think guys like Dirks, Worth, Rymes are a dime a dozen. As has been pointed out b4, virtually every team has these types. They're borderline MLers. They can be used as backups, role players, brought up in a pinch but I doubt you can count on them for anything more than that.
I'd rather have them up taking part time spots over total jokes in Magglio and Inge.. Inge is probably one of the worst MLB players this year bar none..

ihatebadenglish said:
Spockmaster said:
the whole year is important. thats why they play all the games. if we had played better in the early part of the year, which apparently you think is less important, we'd probably be running away with the division. if cleveland hadn't had their really hot start, they'd be well below .500 and not contending for the division.

long story short; raburn sucking for 3.5 months outweighs him not sucking for 2.5 months because every game is important.

I count two bad months, two good months, and one great month.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=raburry01&year=2011&t=b#month::none

But please, continue to complain about a bench player who is making $1.3M and, despite his early season struggles, is sporting a + WAR for the season

Bigger fish to fry on this team than Ryan Raburn
yes, im so excited about his 0.2 WAR this year.

Mar/Apr OPS: .751, mediocre at best
May OPS: .270, absolutely abysmal
June: .670 OPS, pretty bad
July OPS: .798, good for a 2B, mediocre for an OF
Aug OPS: .887

so he's had exactly one month so far with an OPS over .800, and he's not a good bench player no matter how cheap he is because he plays bad to atrocious defense at whatever position we slot him. its not worth waiting more than half the season for him to hit because his defense is so bad, and because when he's not hot, he's generally very cold.

so yes, i will keep complaining, thank you.

Spockmaster said:
ihatebadenglish said:
I count two bad months, two good months, and one great month.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=raburry01&year=2011&t=b#month::none

But please, continue to complain about a bench player who is making $1.3M and, despite his early season struggles, is sporting a + WAR for the season

Bigger fish to fry on this team than Ryan Raburn

so he's had exactly one month so far with an OPS over .800, and he's not a good bench player no matter how cheap he is because he plays bad to atrocious defense at whatever position we slot him. its not worth waiting more than half the season for him to hit because his defense is so bad, and because when he's not hot, he's generally very cold.

AL OF
2011 = .736 OPS
2010 = .761 OPS
2009 = .772 OPS
2008 = .774 OPS
2007 = .779 OPS

Since 2009. traditional offensive corner OF positions have taken a drop in OPS.

rebbiv said:
Spockmaster said:

AL OF
2011 = .736 OPS
2010 = .761 OPS
2009 = .772 OPS
2008 = .774 OPS
2007 = .779 OPS

Since 2009. traditional offensive corner OF positions have taken a drop in OPS.

I can't believe anyone is trying to make a case for the value of the abomination known as Raburn.

Guy is just plain bad. Defense is worse, but offense not much better.

Don't let Dembrowski see this. He will resign all of those minor leaguers to 2 year $12 million contracts. Then we will have to keep them on the roster.

Back