Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

If we got rid of a few players would this team be.

MI_Thumb said:
Why get rid of Kelly?

He can't hit for shit, but half the players in the MLB this year can't, his value is as a super utility-man.

Nice guy to have sitting on the bench when someone goes down, at any position.

The problem is guys like Raburn, who don't hit for shit except once in a while, and are horrible defenders full time.

And before someone makes the excuse that he gets hot late in the second half, ask yourself if you really want a guy on the roster who is useless for 81-100+ games.
this.

First Pauley is 28 years old so he is not a young player and Porcello is at 22.. We really know nothing about Pauley but it appears he is not good from the small sample size so far...Penny can eat innings but that is it..Hopefully he will be replaced next season.. Inge, Magglio, and Gullien should not be in a Tiger uniform next season but my guess is Inge will get another crack because he is under contract and the other two will not. I would much rather have Dirks over Magglio right now... Magglio has only 11 extra base hits this season..Maybe he is do LOL... Raburn I can do without.. He is only good verses left handed pitchers and does not hit until lat August. Getting rid of Inge,Magglio, and Carlos would so improve team speed it is not even funny.

What I hope is that our Rotation next year is Verlander / Scherzer / Some good LEFTY / Porcello / Turner

bob, i gotta ask...how is 28 no longer young? he's not as young as porcello, but he's still under 30 and in his prime years.

i just wish we had the old maggs back. it's like watching sheffield all over again. A great player going into a steep decline.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]What about Fster?

Maybe he is traded for that lefty. More than likely Turner will be in minors and Fister will be #5

I'll take fister and turner over some future lefty. The five are a good rotation.

this team is only gonna get better,take some of these contracts off the books, and it opens up a lot of possibilities in the off season.

tigers99888 said:
. Tigers do have some guys in AAA that could be regulars like Dirks, Streiby, Rhymes and Worth.. But I'm wondering if said players would be liabilities like the current ones we have on the rosters.. Remember, the Tigers have a weak farm system in comparison to most other MLB teams..

Yesterday at 11:03pm, JimRice wrote:

I think every player listed is being overrated by the OP.

And your reply?

I didn't overrate anyone I said they would possibly make good platooners..

You didn't say "platoon", you said "regulars". Pants on fire.

tigers99888 said:
JimRice said:
I think every player listed is being overrated by the OP.
I didn't overrate anyone I said they would possibly make good platooners..

Rhymes is pretty reliable at 2nd in part time duty.. No one is saying Worth is a legit full time player

I agree although I think he has a chance to be a decent 3rd outfielder

Strieby has no defensive value and has yet to post a AAA season with a +.800 OPS. He's not on track for more than a cup of coffee at the major league level.

Just because you're frustrated with some of the veterans, that alone does not make career minor league players decent. Miracles can happen, but none of those guys are good prospects.
I think everyone knows Streiby K's alot and has no defensive abilities whatsoever, but with what Magglio has shown in his time up here, he would be at worst the same but with some power.. He would fullfill a Marcus Thames role from a few years back.. No one said the minor leaguers are decent.. I'm just starting a discussion on whether they would make decent part time players for the rest of THIS year..

Rhymes is not "pretty reliable". He's terrible defensively. And he can't hit.

A third outfielder is a starter. And Dirks would be fine, but it's not like having him in the minors is costing the Tigers games or anything.

Strieby probably would be better than Mags right now with the bat. The problem is that he doesn't play the same position. Strieby is a 1B/DH, and the Tigers have those spots covered. Strieby has never played Right Field and was terrible in left, so he hasn't played there this year. I'm not really in favor of dumping anyone, just so the Tigers can bring a guy up to watch Victor and Cabrera play.

Pauley Career

Home 90.3 IP 3.99 ERA 1.19 WHIP .681 OPP OPS 2.26 SO/BB

Away 89.0 IP 4.75 ERA 1.63 WHIP .801 OPP OPS 1.57 SO/BB

SAEFCO 75.6 IP 2.62 ERA 0.99 WHIP .584 OPP OPS 2.21 S)/BB

Oustide of SAEFCO, Pauley is a pretty bad relief pitcher, regardless of how he is used by Leyland.

Fister Career

Home 242.6 IP 3.34 ERA 1.16 WHIP .662 OPP OPS 3.17 SO/BB

Away 164.0 IP 4.45 ERA 1.37 WHIP .752 OPP OPS 2.62 SO/BB

SAEFCO 228.6 IP 3.42 ERA 1.16 WHIP .665 OPP OPS 3.07 SO/BB

Porcello Career

Home 238.6 IP 4.60 ERA 1.37 WHIP .758 OPP OPS 1.72 SO/BB

Away 236.6 IP 4.60 ERA 1.40 WHIP .756 OPP OPS 2.45 SO/BB

Porcello is 5 years younger than Fister and has very similar career away stats. Fister is nothing more than a #3 starter, at best. Porcello could develop into a #2, but is a #3.

Pauley is what he is, nothing special, but is low cost.

rebbiv said:
Pauley Career

Home 90.3 IP 3.99 ERA 1.19 WHIP .681 OPP OPS 2.26 SO/BB

Away 89.0 IP 4.75 ERA 1.63 WHIP .801 OPP OPS 1.57 SO/BB

SAEFCO 75.6 IP 2.62 ERA 0.99 WHIP .584 OPP OPS 2.21 S)/BB

Oustide of SAEFCO, Pauley is a pretty bad relief pitcher, regardless of how he is used by Leyland.

Fister Career

Home 242.6 IP 3.34 ERA 1.16 WHIP .662 OPP OPS 3.17 SO/BB

Away 164.0 IP 4.45 ERA 1.37 WHIP .752 OPP OPS 2.62 SO/BB

SAEFCO 228.6 IP 3.42 ERA 1.16 WHIP .665 OPP OPS 3.07 SO/BB

Porcello Career

Home 238.6 IP 4.60 ERA 1.37 WHIP .758 OPP OPS 1.72 SO/BB

Away 236.6 IP 4.60 ERA 1.40 WHIP .756 OPP OPS 2.45 SO/BB

Porcello is 5 years younger than Fister and has very similar career away stats. Fister is nothing more than a #3 starter, at best. Porcello could develop into a #2, but is a #3.

Pauley is what he is, nothing special, but is low cost.

Yeah but we'll never know. Maybe he could have helped this season for us. Why add him into a trade to throw him once and then two weeks later...

I remember when Benoit started the season like crap. People saying bad sign but eventually..

Just sayin

Btw, Fister has been dynamite. He doesn't have too many years in so you can't be judge too hard on some away stats.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]One, Porcello is enough that he can still figure things out. Two, Raburn is a first half misery. Not sure anyone wants to put up with him for 3 months before he starts hitting.

I don't mind waiting 3 months if it means good hitting during the important stretch and playoffs

JimRice said:
Rhymes is not "pretty reliable". He's terrible defensively. And he can't hit.

A third outfielder is a starter. And Dirks would be fine, but it's not like having him in the minors is costing the Tigers games or anything.

Strieby probably would be better than Mags right now with the bat. The problem is that he doesn't play the same position. Strieby is a 1B/DH, and the Tigers have those spots covered. Strieby has never played Right Field and was terrible in left, so he hasn't played there this year. I'm not really in favor of dumping anyone, just so the Tigers can bring a guy up to watch Victor and Cabrera play.

.282 career hitter in MLB.
.291 career hitter in the minors.

He didn't do much this year, but did not get much of a chance either.

His overall numbers suggest he can hit.

Do a little research next time.

michiganct said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]One, Porcello is enough that he can still figure things out. Two, Raburn is a first half misery. Not sure anyone wants to put up with him for 3 months before he starts hitting.

I don't mind waiting 3 months if it means good hitting during the important stretch and playoffs
the whole year is important. thats why they play all the games. if we had played better in the early part of the year, which apparently you think is less important, we'd probably be running away with the division. if cleveland hadn't had their really hot start, they'd be well below .500 and not contending for the division.

long story short; raburn sucking for 3.5 months outweighs him not sucking for 2.5 months because every game is important.

Spockmaster said:
michiganct said:
the whole year is important. thats why they play all the games. if we had played better in the early part of the year, which apparently you think is less important, we'd probably be running away with the division. if cleveland hadn't had their really hot start, they'd be well below .500 and not contending for the division.

long story short; raburn sucking for 3.5 months outweighs him not sucking for 2.5 months because every game is important.

I count two bad months, two good months, and one great month.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=raburry01&year=2011&t=b#month::none

But please, continue to complain about a bench player who is making $1.3M and, despite his early season struggles, is sporting a + WAR for the season

Bigger fish to fry on this team than Ryan Raburn

I think guys like Dirks, Worth, Rymes are a dime a dozen. As has been pointed out b4, virtually every team has these types. They're borderline MLers. They can be used as backups, role players, brought up in a pinch but I doubt you can count on them for anything more than that.

Back