Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2022 How you would have done it post draft thread

This isn?t a good roster yet. If Anzalone is still seeing a high number of snaps a year or two from now, then we have a problem. As much as I wanted a LB early, I don?t think it?s the difference between 6-7 wins and playoffs in 2022. I know most of you don?t want to hear it, but this is still a rebuild and we have a long way to go.

This isn?t a good roster yet. If Anzalone is still seeing a high number of snaps a year or two from now, then we have a problem. As much as I wanted a LB early, I don?t think it?s the difference between 6-7 wins and playoffs in 2022. I know most of you don?t want to hear it, but this is still a rebuild and we have a long way to go.

Young Dline and EDGE and corners have to develop. And Barnes, they took the guy to develop him into a starter. Board could start but Anzlaone is the leader. Hopefully better Dline and EDGE play and safety play will help Anzalone, Barnes, BOARD or whoever

If they are awful again this year or get bitten bad again by injury bug, won't have to give up anything for a QB with another early pick. And can take LB with Rams pick 2023 or early Round 2. Lions Round 1 2023 fo QB, Rams Round 1 for defense, Lions Round 2 2023 for more defense and more free agency money in 2023 too.

If these young guys develop, we can be competitive in 2022. We shall see how much they develop and if Holmes is making good picks

Can Goff mess this up? Really good Oline, solid run game, Jameson, Chark, St Brown, Hock, Swift, Reynolds. Innovative OC

3 of 4 first picks were on defense. And 3 of 4 on day 3. Got to develop these guys into good players. Everything we hear about Glenn and Pleasant and Shephhard, we seem to have the coaches to develop them.

Paschal good first step and can move all over. Joseph can be a starting safety. CB is up to the young guys and Okudah return/improvement. AO showed some things especially later. Two UDFAS did too. Mike Hughes they hope will be like Charles Harris. Safety have Walker and Joseph for the future. Elliot nice vet addition. McNeil and Levi need to flat out develop more and Brockers has to play better too (or this is his last year and Paschal pick makes even more sense)

Always a rebuild. I see others going from last to best and yet we stink always. Wasn't football suppose to be an easy turn round.. if they don't reach the playoffs next season fire them all.

Always a rebuild. I see others going from last to best and yet we stink always. Wasn't football suppose to be an easy turn round.. if they don't reach the playoffs next season fire them all.

Talking 2022 or 2023? Campbell got a 6 year deal. He gets 4 years minimum

I get the Paschal pick. Good player, team leader, versatile, Brockers getting old, Nick Williams gone

Do the same trade. Hutch and Jameson
Probably go Brisker at 46
Tindall or Chenal at 97 then
Round 5 Mitchell still is fine for TE 2
Round 6 Jamaree Sayler Guard depth
Round 6 James Houston still
Round 7 OT Rasheed Walker

And sign a DT/DE that is still out there. Akiem Hicks 2 year deal or something. Maybe check Ogunjobi's injury for a cheaper deal than what he didn't end up getting with the Bears. Jadeveon Clowney is interesting too

They?ve rebuilt the wrong way. It?s always been a mix of shitty drafting, bad signings, and job-saving moves. Holmes was given the chance to blow everything up without the pressure to win now.

Year 1 was about dismantling the roster, eating the dead money, and accumulating draft assets.

Year 2 should be a developmental year with a more coherent roster (less Boston trash).

Year 3 will depend largely on how Goff does in year 2 and how they want to bring along a rookie QB. Wild range of outcomes here.

Regardless of year 3, year 4 should be a playoff year. I won?t hold out much hope for this regime if that?s not the case, especially with there being more cap space to play around with in years 3 & 4.

They?ve rebuilt the wrong way. It?s always been a mix of shitty drafting, bad signings, and job-saving moves. Holmes was given the chance to blow everything up without the pressure to win now.

Year 1 was about dismantling the roster, eating the dead money, and accumulating draft assets.

Year 2 should be a developmental year with a more coherent roster (less Boston trash).

Year 3 will depend largely on how Goff does in year 2 and how they want to bring along a rookie QB. Wild range of outcomes here.

Regardless of year 3, year 4 should be a playoff year. I won?t hold out much hope for this regime if that?s not the case, especially with there being more cap space to play around with in years 3 & 4.

Agree. I think year 3 could be playoffs depending on player development and the QB decision 2023 or Goff improving this year with all that surrounds him now. Year 4 would be legit shot for advancement.

No harm in making 2022 a playoff year if they can of course get in but alot of young players are going to have play extremely strong early, Goff/new OC can't mess up the offense (I think it might be built well enough now for him not to mess it up) and going to need alot of health (not middle of the road or poor like 2021). If Hutch and Jameson are game changers, get off in the right direction. They can have success in 2022 and still do the rebuild right (not going crazy in 2023 FA). But any success, we might lose Aaron Glenn though Pleasant could succeed him at DC. Levi, Barnes, McNeil, Hutch, Paschal, faith in Okudah, Romeo, Walker, Harris, Joseph, AO contract year, Ife. Let's see what they got. Elliot, Anzalone, Board, Davis still some bandaids. Chark they'll have a decision to make too if he plays well.

I think Brunell, Randle El and Todd Wash DLine coach will be the scapegoats if they fall really flat this year

With above average offense, below average defense, good ST, I think with this schedule, they could scrap their way in considering how they do on a week to week basis in each phase.

Last edited:

It appears that they have hitched their wagon to Goff. If he's not the answer at QB the "rebuild" will most likely be delayed a while.

It appears that they have hitched their wagon to Goff. If he's not the answer at QB the "rebuild" will most likely be delayed a while.

Fields no thank you from 2021. Mac Jones doesn't really move the needle
Terrible 2022 QB class

2023 it is with two 1sts still to make a move if needed to trade up (if not in a position to just draft a good QB). I see 4 QBs in the top 10 in the way too early 2023 mocks. But those change drastically. Howell and Spencer Rattler debates

Not convinced of that yet. They had to take on his contract as part of the trade and they had to shift his money around for cap purposes (especially in another covid year). Still a major cap savings if cut in 23 or 24. If he?s still around 23/24 with his $30 mil cap hit, I?ll believe they think he?s the answer. It seems to me that they?re just riding out the contract until something better comes along, clearly wasn?t the 22 draft.

Goff is a nothing for me. Not good enough to put you over the top, but won?t drag you down too much. A decent gauge to how the rest of the team is doing, I guess.

They always do what will Holmes do any differently? We should all have our head examined for rooting for this team for so long. First year we won 2 games.. That's worse than when he got here.. I'm 56, I've been through a dozen rebuilds - this makes 13.

They always do what will Holmes do any differently? We should all have our head examined for rooting for this team for so long. First year we won 2 games.. That's worse than when he got here.. I'm 56, I've been through a dozen rebuilds - this makes 13.

The difference here is that there were no holdovers like in the past. The prior transitions involved either a coach or a GM trying to save their job. We haven?t had a clean reset since 2008, even that?s arguable since Mayhew worked under Millen.

I get it....but that's the fun of Lions fandom. The recycling every 2-4 years is what's keeps things fresh.

I actually would hate to be a Patriots fan. How bad would Sundays be if you expected to win every week? If you expect a Super Bowl. Winning one is the only way to get any fun out of a season? No thanks.

Lions fans should have ZERO expectations. Don't win.....we sulk for a minute, take a shot.....get out there and mow the lawn. Don't ruin your entire Sunday, right?

One day it will be worth it.

One day.

The difference here is that there were no holdovers like in the past. The prior transitions involved either a coach or a GM trying to save their job. We haven?t had a clean reset since 2008, even that?s arguable since Mayhew worked under Millen.

Agreed. This is really year one of the rebuild. We needed the first year to tear it all down. Dump the bad contracts. Bad players. Trade what was tradeable and get what you can in return. Play the young kids even when there might have been other options.

To me, this is year one.

Agreed. This is really year one of the rebuild. We needed the first year to tear it all down. Dump the bad contracts. Bad players. Trade what was tradeable and get what you can in return. Play the young kids even when there might have been other options.

To me, this is year one.

actually, it's year 31.

I envy the younger ones who haven't gone through 50 or more years.

Been waiting for the Fords or stop sucking since 1969. What are they a pathetic 1-12 in playoff games since owning the team? Look at the gaps for this team. They have had so many high picks it is amazing how poorly they have been. As for this draft you guys know better then me. I was fine with Hutch or Keyvon. But we all knew they were picking the local kid. I would have preferred a linebacker over the kid from Kentucky but you can never have enough linemen. Like being bold and moving up for a difference maker but I hate the fact that he is coming off acl injury. Ijust thought this draft was littered with good healthy wr. Why not keep building the defense up ? Is also wish we had targeted Haskins or Walker. I think both will be decent Pros. Maybe even ojobo.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/det/

Last edited:
Back