Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2023 Off-Season Thread

Jags made playoffs and won a playoff game.

Once Again, you?re happy with meaningless football wins. That?s a loser mentality.

Because the south was garbage.

Lions are a better team lol

Because the south was garbage.

Lions are a better team lol

We had an opportunity to back up your statement. That opportunity went away when we took the Jarad Goff lead team into Carolina and got embarrassed.

Lions signing David Montgomery

Tom Pelissero

@TomPelissero
So David Montgomery, one of the top backs in free agency, stays in the NFC North ... and now will face his old team twice a year.

Meanwhile, Jamaal Williams is expected to move on from Detroit

Last edited:
Lions signing David Montgomery

Tom Pelissero

@TomPelissero
So David Montgomery, one of the top backs in free agency, stays in the NFC North ... and now will face his old team twice a year.

Meanwhile, Jamaal Williams is expected to move on from Detroit

Sucks we will lose Jamaal, but this is huge! I love this guy. Always wished Montgomery was on a different team so I can root for him.

The Detroit Lions and former Chicago Bears running back David Montgomery reached agreement on a three-year, $18 million deal, including $11 million guaranteed, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Montgomery will do some damage behind that line.

You can't argue against Jamaals production... but I honesty think Montgomery will be a better overall back.

Apparently Jamaal and holmes were pretty far apart on numbers.

Last edited:
Montgomery will do some damage behind that line.

You can't argue against Jamaals production... but I honesty think Montgomery will be a better overall back.

Apparently Jamaal and holmes were pretty far apart on numbers.

Jamal is the perfect company guy. Great locker room guy, leader and buys into the movement. Jamaal was much more than a numbers and production guy and that says a lot for someone who broke the franchise rushing TD record.

I almost would rather see us trade Swift and re-sign Jamaal.

Lions rb coach is scottie montgomery. Might as well add a montgomery at rb

Jamal is the perfect company guy. Great locker room guy, leader and buys into the movement. Jamaal was much more than a numbers and production guy and that says a lot for someone who broke the franchise rushing TD record.

I almost would rather see us trade Swift and re-sign Jamaal.

I really hope this doesn?t backfire on the Lions. I hate losing Williams.
Gotta have Glue guys.

If Jamaal wanted more than 6m a year.... sorry...cya later. I guess we'll see when he signs elsewhere but i can't image they offered him less than what Montgomery got.

I'm good with Montgomery. Nothing flashy and not the fastest, but does just about everything well. Pretty sure he ran behind garbage O-lines his entire career in Chicago, so excited to see what he can do here. Surprised to see he's only 25, thought he's been around longer than that. Another plus is that he's rarely missed time.

Sucks to lose Jamaal, but I wouldn't want to break the bank for him. Montgomery, Reynolds, and 4-5 games of Swift should be enough to do some damage behind an elite O-line.

5 Q?s with Niners Wire: Emmanuel Moseley is ?a really smart, tough player?
Get to know the Detroit Lions latest new corner, Emmanuel Moseley.
By Mike Payton Mar 15, 2023, 7:30am EDT 0 Comments / 0 New
Share this story
Share this on Facebook (opens in new window)
Share this on Twitter (opens in new window)
All sharing options
NFL: San Francisco 49ers at Carolina Panthers
Jim Dedmon-USA TODAY Sports
Detroit Lions general manager Brad Holmes isn?t playing around. The Lions had a hard weakness at cornerback just a few short days ago. Now, they have themselves a really nice group of guys?and they might not be done.

First, the Lions signed Steelers corner Cameron Sutton on the first day of legal tampering. Then on day two, they added 49ers corner Emmanuel Moseley to their roster.

It?s pretty clear Holmes has been reading Pride of Detroit, because just last week, we had both players on our list of potential free agent corners the Lions should consider.

Moseley?s path to Detroit is different than Sutton?s. While Sutton was a third-round pick, Moseley came into the NFL as an undrafted rookie. He worked his way up to being a starter and a key part of the 49ers' secondary. There is a bit of an injury history to worry about, and he is currently recovering from an ACL injury, but Moseley has been a real player when he?s on the field.

We wanted to know more about Moseley, so we reached out to our friend Kyle Madson from Niners Wire to get the scoop. Here?s what he had to say:

1. What are your overall thoughts on Moseley?s time with the 49ers?

?Emmanuel Moseley is a really high-quality player who might have been a Pro Bowler last year had he not torn his ACL at Carolina in Week 5. The 49ers signed him as an undrafted rookie in 2018, but he made a huge impact for them in 2019 and wound up taking over the starting CB job opposite Second-Team All-Pro Richard Sherman for the NFC championship game and the Super Bowl. The 49ers defense gets a little bit worse without him.?

2. What are his strengths?

?He?s a really smart, tough player. It?s pretty rare he?s not at least contesting a catch in his area. Moseley is also an excellent tackler. The biggest thing with him though is his versatility. He can play man, he can play zone, he can play in the slot ? there?s nothing he is really incapable of.?

3. What are his weaknesses?

?Well, he?s coming off an injury and sometimes he?s susceptible to getting beat over the top. It also feels like he loses a lot of the contested catch situations I mentioned above. The healthier he is though the better he should get. He?s just never been healthy as a full-time starter for consecutive seasons.?

LATEST VIDEO FROM SB NATION
Drew Brees: too short, too injured ... Super Bowl MVP

4. Why do you think the 49ers let him get away? You mentioned you were bummed in our DM.

?The Javon Hargrave signing probably handcuffed them a bit. General manager John Lynch indicated at the end of the season they wanted to bring Moseley back, but the emergence of CB Deommodore Lenoir as a viable option outside made Moseley a little more expendable. I?m sure they were in the running but had a cap on what they were willing/able to spend on a player who was more of a want than a need.?

5. How much of a concern should there be with Moseley?s health? Looks like he?s missed a lot of time.

?It?s at least a minor concern. His injury in 2018 was a weird dislocated shoulder he suffered on special teams that knocked him out for the year. He sprained his ankle in 2021 and wound up missing a few weeks. Then the ACL which came on the turf in Carolina while breaking up a deep throw late in that one. They?ve all been different injuries, which leads me to believe he?s simply run into some bad luck. When he?s on the field though he?s been a player worth any injury risk.?

If Jamaal wanted more than 6m a year.... sorry...cya later. I guess we'll see when he signs elsewhere but i can't image they offered him less than what Montgomery got.

As a teammate, you hate to lose a guy like Jamaal Williams?..great locker room guy. Keeps the mood in practice light.

But Montgomery is a talent upgrade. I don?t think that?s even a question.

I really hope this doesn?t backfire on the Lions. I hate losing Williams.
Gotta have Glue guys.

Williams is reportedly looking for 3 years and $30M. We're not the only team passing on that. And Montgomery is flat out better than Williams. I think the team has plenty of good leaders right now, seems that's a huge focus up and down the roster and Cam Sutton is that type of guy too. Montgomery was near the top of the NFL in broken tackle rate at 0.31, Williams was way behind at 0.13. So I think you're getting a back who can turn those 6 yard runs into 15 yard ones. He's also a good short yardage back, but that's the 1 area where Williams might be a bit better.

Montgomery played behind a bad O Line in Chicago and still averaged 1200 yards from scrimmage the last 4 seasons. He could grind teams down behind our O Line. And $6M per for him isn't too much IMO.

What I like about the FA signings is the Lions have untied their hands in the draft. CB is no longer a must pick need and you can take the right guy if he's there. Still wish we got a stud LB to pair with Analzone, but maybe they see an immediate starter in the draft in round 2.

I do think this shakes out to land Wilson with the 6th pick now unless Carter or Anderson are there. Can still look at CB at pick 18 or maybe the S/CB combo Branch from Bama.

Thought I read they were considering bringing Graham Glasgow back at guard, if not, maybe they look OL in round 2 or 3.

Mosely is a high risk, high reward pickup. If he's ready to go before camp, he's got a chance to be a steal. Mosely has probably been better than Cam Sutton even when he was fully healthy.

So why is Montgomery flat out better?

statistically, they are pretty close. I think the assumption is that Montgomery has been playing behind a terrible OL his entire career and Williams has had really good OL play in GB and in Detroit.

Based on the stats, Montgomery is probably a better pass catcher.

Combine that with the fact that Montgomery is 2 years younger...it's probably the right move.

Reactions: LKP
statistically, they are pretty close. I think the assumption is that Montgomery has been playing behind a terrible OL his entire career and Williams has had really good OL play in GB and in Detroit.

Based on the stats, Montgomery is probably a better pass catcher.

Combine that with the fact that Montgomery is 2 years younger...it's probably the right move.
I think with the passing game Williams caught what was thrown his way. Just didn't do it often. It might be the right move but auto flat out better remains to be seen, and a bold statement.

Last edited:
I think with the passing game Williams caught what was thrown his way. Just didn't do it often. It might be the right move but auto flat out better remains to be seen, and a bold statement.

I agree.

My guess is Williams signs for less than what Montgomery got.

Back