Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2024 Election

the idea that any of us at 18 were given a full and detailed accounting of what it would cost to payback and make an informed decision about how our lives would play out, and more importantly whether or not the economy would crash and we would have good paying jobs that those loans were a ticket to, is insane. How could you think like that?

And if you thought both the ppp and student loans are garbage, it's weird I've only seen you complain about the latter... selective outrage here.

Talk about your selective outrages - it's equally insane to think the borrowers or the schools have no responsibility for this mess. Buyer beware.

My parents' tuition at Wayne State in the late 70's was like a couple hundred bucks/year. And my dad had a full ride because of his test scores. So... no. And even tuition costs at UM were comparably low back then.

But again... we took out loans because the schools gave us fake employment and starting salary numbers. Those were highly illusory. I graduated in '02 when everyone with an econ degree at Michigan was having their employment offers pulled because "the economy" tanked, and (if they were lucky) given a small stipend to help them out (I didn't get that). I didn't make enough at my first job to make any loans payments, and after law school, didn't find a paying job for 9 months, made more complicated by the fact that I had to take and pass the bar exam (which cost around $4000 for the fees and prep course which everyone including your law school strongly advises you to take). And of course I had to take out MORE loans for that.

I've paid off the vast majority of what I borrowed, and if you count interest, easily paid off the principle amounts. I basically bought a house I couldn't live in... in addition to buying and selling 3 houses during this time, having kids, supporting a family, etc.

Fuck Biden and fuck this country.

There you go with your selective outrage again - it's not the lenders fault that tuition massively outpaced everything besides healthcare.

Why did you keep borrowing money for more degrees after seeing what happened to your peers out of undergrad? Are you saying, after getting a degree in economics from uofm you were too dumb to do the basic math to see what not working for another 3+ years while accumulating more debt was going to do to you?

Now you want all the kids that went to trade school or got plumbing, electrical or construction jobs out of high school to pay for you? I agree with them, Fuck you! This country doesn't owe you a thing.

Last edited:
It was not financially possibly for me to work my way through law school.

Or college, probably. But FWIW, in law school they tell you NOT to work when classes are in session. It's bullshit and I wish I didn't listen to them. but even then, there was no way I would've been able to earn $40K/year and pay my tuition and all my expenses while going to school. How can you be that out of touch? you really think people can do that?

I worked all through college and made enough to pay my room and board myself (typically $550/month). I was the only person among everyone I knew who paid his own rent. I don't see how I could've earned enough to also pay tuition on top of that each semester. But tell me more...

You don't have to earn 100% of the cost of school and living - you could have worked part time and borrowed less. So you don't get to go out drinking Thursday, Friday and Saturday night with your law school pals. Too bad.

I worked full time for a year and half while pursuing my MBA, borrowed money for tuition only then switched to full time and did the same thing, living off my savings to pay my mortgage and living expenses. I graduated in '02 and consolidated my ~$50k of loans at 1% while most of my peers had at least double some 3x that amount in debt. And I graduated with a job in hand during a very precarious economy - post dot com bubble and 9/11. I kept my head down, did my job and didn't bitch about someone else owing me a living. Grow up, pay what you owe and quit bitching about it.

Again, but for interest I would've paid back the principle on all my loans years ago. And many are similarly situation. So this idea that we're the deadbeats here because some scumbag lender isn't going to make the profit he expected on our education is bullshit, and you're a sap for arguing his position...

If it were up to you, the only people in the world who could make money would be class action ambulance chasers that give you beer money so you can get drunk and bitch about your student loans.

That's how interest works. The lender charges you for the risk they take lending money to you. So this idea that someone should take your risk for no profit is bullshit, and you're a whiny little crybaby sissy for arguing that position.

Last edited:
okay, just make shit up.

you mean make up shit like the rest of the country should subsidize your bad decisions because at 18 you were too dumb to know what you were getting yourself into - the lenders made you do it. Then why, at age 23 after seeing the effects of it not only for you but a lot of your friends, did you do it again and dig yourself into a deeper hole???!!!

The made up fantasy here is that someone else owes you for your bad decisions.

Last edited:
you mean make up shit like the rest of the country should subsidize your bad decisions because at 18 you were too dumb to know what you were getting yourself into - the lenders made you do it. Then why, at age 23 after seeing the effects of it not only for you but a lot of your friends, did you do it again and dug yourself into a deeper hole???!!!

The made up fantasy here is that someone else owes you for your bad decisions.

okay. well, on behalf of myself and everyone with student loans, especially those who will struggle to pay them back on top of higher interest rates and everything else going on these days, go fuck yourself.

seriously.

okay. well, on behalf of myself and everyone with student loans, especially those who will struggle to pay them back on top of higher interest rates and everything else going on these days, go fuck yourself.

seriously.

I still have student loans but like most people I know, I'm not struggling to repay them because I'm not an idiot and I didn't dig myself into a hole I couldn't get out of. You entitled assholes have some nerve asking people who didn't go to college and those of us that did but are paying our debts to bail you out.

So on behalf of myself and everyone else taking responsibility for the decisions they made, you and the rest of you whiny bitches can get stuffed.

Seriously - because we're not paying for you no matter how mad you are.

Last edited:
I just read that the average federal student loan debt is $37K. The average cost of a new car is $48K. I wonder if these people that have student loan debt ever think about driving a beater around for 5 years so they can pay off their loans in 5 years instead of dragging it out for 20 years? I wonder how many people on this thread that still have federal student loans have purchased new cars within the past 20 years?

I just read that the average federal student loan debt is $37K. The average cost of a new car is $48K. I wonder if these people that have student loan debt ever think about driving a beater around for 5 years so they can pay off their loans in 5 years instead of dragging it out for 20 years? I wonder how many people on this thread that still have federal student loans have purchased new cars within the past 20 years?

I have. I bought the car I currently drive in 2007 when I was single and will probably get another year or 2 out of it. We bought a minivan for a second car when we had our 3rd kid in 2014 - we hoped to get 10yrs out of it but it was totaled at 8 years. We replaced it with an almost 2 year old Acadia during COVID when it was next to impossible to find anything.

But 20years is a pretty long time for a car. I wonder how many of these people "stuck" under a mountain of student debt have a mortgage on a nice 4k+ sq ft house with a couple leased BMWs they turn in every 3 years...

Last edited:
I still have student loans but like most people I know, I'm not struggling to repay them because I'm not an idiot and I didn't dig myself into a hole I couldn't get out of. You entitled assholes have some nerve asking people who didn't go to college and those of us that did but are paying our debts to bail you out.

So on behalf of myself and everyone else taking responsibility for the decisions they made, you and the rest of you whiny bitches can get stuffed.

Seriously - because we're not paying for you no matter how mad you are.

I'm sorry, if you think you or any other taxpayer are going to have to personally cut a check to pay for debt forgiveness, you are too stupid to be commenting on politics.

I'm sorry, if you think you or any other taxpayer are going to have to personally cut a check to pay for debt forgiveness, you are too stupid to be commenting on politics.

LOLOLOLOLOL - you think just because I don't have to write a check, I'm not paying for it. How stupid are you? Where do you think the money comes from, genius? Thin air? Does Joe Biden have a genie in a bottle that will just magically make the money appear?

Tell me again - you have a degree in economics from where?

The money in the treasury (if there is any) is OUR money (taxpayers' money) and the sooner dumbasses like you realize that, the better off this country will be. If you think this isn't our money bailing you out, you're too dum... actually, you're exactly as dumb as I thought you were.

The sad thing is I think shitheads like you know there's no money in the treasury and these bailouts and ever increasing deficits and debt are being foisted upon future generations - your kids and mine and their kids and their kids kids will be paying for all of this. That's particularly selfish and evil. Personally, I think for you it's a combination of outright stupidity and malicious envy.

Edit: Here, read this dummy, then try not to say make such an ass of yourself.

Last edited:

I?m literally laughing out loud at how monumentally stupid this post is. It?s pure comic gold. Here?s a couple gems I thought up after reading this?

Hey, STFU about defense spending - you?re not writing the check dumbass!

Please. Stop bitching about oil subsidies moron, no one is making you write a check!

Can you please stop complaining about aid to Ukraine - at least until they ask you personally to write a check! My goodness how dumb are you?

This could possibly be the single dumbest thing you?ve ever said on this forum. Although, there have been so many, it?s impossible to say for sure.

Last edited:
51 intel agencies had said the hunter laptop was russian disinformation. So much for intel agencies. At this point the only person that doesn?t believe the entire state as been weaponized is Johnny

51 intel agencies had said the hunter laptop was russian disinformation. So much for intel agencies. At this point the only person that doesn?t believe the entire state as been weaponized is Johnny

How many people believe there are 51 intel agencies?

How many people believe there are 51 intel agencies?

Everybody knows there?s only 18. Who are these whackos walking around talking about the surveillance state when there?s only 18 agencies spying on us - nowhere near 51! By now I can?t believe there are people who don?t know 18 is just the right number of agencies to spy on us in order to keep us safe. The conspiracy theorist/tinfoil hat crowd has officially lost it.

Last edited:

They actually used the term ?Russian information? as they thought that would provide them cover in the event the world found out it was real.

Back