Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Another transfer on the herizon (Edit: Its Stokes)

DR said:
Funny that everyone who listed WR's left out Stokes. Guess this makes sense

yeah, I forgot about him. I guess it does make sense.

given the comments about the "new scheme" I thought it meant it was an RB for sure. I didn't think the coaches said anything about using fewer 3 & 4 WR sets, so you figure even a guy buried on the depth charts would see reps... and even more so next year when Hemingway & Roundtree are gone. But I forgot how many slot WRs we had...

also: I docked you a couple karma points as a joke yesterday after you went totally apeshit when I told you to get real, but I've "exalted" you back. Now we're even steven.

MikeValenti971 Mike Valenti
UM Wr corps just got thinner. J.Stokes quit team. Good luck Denard.
16 minutes ago

I thought all 4-stars were superstars? Please clarify this weird instance UM fanboys. Recruitniks meltdown.

Trollenti already getting it going for todays show....

b311j said:
16 minutes ago

I thought all 4-stars were superstars? Please clarify this weird instance UM fanboys. Recruitniks meltdown.

ha, yeah. Hemingway, Roundtree, Terrence Robinson, Grady, Dileo... + some I'm forgetting. I think most teams would love to have a WR corps that deep...

MichChamp02 said:
DR said:
Funny that everyone who listed WR's left out Stokes. Guess this makes sense

yeah, I forgot about him. I guess it does make sense.

given the comments about the "new scheme" I thought it meant it was an RB for sure. I didn't think the coaches said anything about using fewer 3 & 4 WR sets, so you figure even a guy buried on the depth charts would see reps... and even more so next year when Hemingway & Roundtree are gone. But I forgot how many slot WRs we had...

also: I docked you a couple karma points as a joke yesterday after you went totally apeshit when I told you to get real, but I've "exalted" you back. Now we're even steven.

I only docked you once, after I realized you were hitting me every hour on the hour. Even steven.

I don't know if the coaches have explicitly said it, but I have to believe 4 WR sets are a thing of the past. Roundtree's only a junior...with the positive mentions Gallon and Robinson have been getting so far, the fact that Jackson got more PT than him last year, and if Stonum comes back, Stokes would have been looking at being #5 or 6 his senior year. Can't blame him for jumping ship.

DR said:
Jerald Robinson (6'1", 206lb) is a midget while Stokes (6', 193lb) has decent heigh and weight.

Did Gerry Dinardo hack into your account?

I could have sword Robinson was the really really tiny one.....I don't know who I'm thinking of then.

Just looked it up - Terrence Robinson is the comically small one. My mistake.

MichChamp02 said:
b311j said:
16 minutes ago

ha, yeah. Hemingway, Roundtree, Terrence Robinson, Grady, Dileo... + some I'm forgetting. I think most teams would love to have a WR corps that deep...

From MGoBlog:

Stokes was a touted recruit out of Philadelphia who decommitted from Tennessee in favor of Michigan after Phil Fulmer got axed, but he hardly played in his tenure. He would have been a senior next year.

Speaking of next year, here's the WR depth chart:

Darryl Stonum
Roy Roundtree
Jeremy Jackson
Jerald Robinson
Jeremy Gallon
Drew Dileo

Actually, that's not too bad. Michigan was probably going to grab two wide receivers in this class anyway but now they absolutely have to.

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
DR said:
Jerald Robinson (6'1", 206lb) is a midget while Stokes (6', 193lb) has decent heigh and weight.

Did Gerry Dinardo hack into your account?

I could have sword Robinson was the really really tiny one.....I don't know who I'm thinking of then.

Dileo was the only small WR in that class.

DR said:
MAIZEandBLUE09 said:

I wasn't talking about the specific recruiting class - just on the team in general.

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
DR said:

I wasn't talking about the specific recruiting class - just on the team in general.

I know. I just usually think of players in relation to the rest of the kids in their class. I guess you don't

DR said:
MAIZEandBLUE09 said:

I know. I just usually think of players in relation to the rest of the kids in their class. I guess you don't

I don't because a lot of things can happen - red shirts mainly - that throw that way of thinking off. Injuries and early entries into the draft are others, or like what is currently happening to Stonum.

i really don't think stokes situation has to do with coaching change - even under RR WR weren't broadly used across the depth of chart (this is my naive view)

i hope he finds happiness whereever he goes - it will always be an issue about playing time with players

if posado came back out of shape, then i am not surprirsed he is bumped down chart

ps you also don't know if there wree other issues (academic, attitude) with the kids iether

I know stokes was practicing during the"off season" with gardner

michlady77 said:
i really don't think stokes situation has to do with coaching change - even under RR WR weren't broadly used across the depth of chart (this is my naive view)

Absolutely correct

michlady77 said:

i hope he finds happiness whereever he goes - it will always be an issue about playing time with players

if posado came back out of shape, then i am not surprirsed he is bumped down chart

Another thing to point out is that both of these departures happened almost immediately after the scrimmage on Saturday. I don't think that's a coincidence. Players must have found out the general pecking order from that scrimmage and apparently a few weren't happy about it.

DR said:
MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
Maybe if this was a Dileo type that comment might hold some truth - but given Stokes was a pretty highly recruited WR with decent height and weight I doubt that Hoke wanted to lose a player like that at a thinning position.

Yeah, Hungry, you're wrong, just wrong.

Well, of course, you Hoke supporters are going to say that!!!!

b311j said:
MichChamp02 said:

From MGoBlog:

Stokes was a touted recruit out of Philadelphia who decommitted from Tennessee in favor of Michigan after Phil Fulmer got axed, but he hardly played in his tenure. He would have been a senior next year.

Darryl Stonum
Roy Roundtree
Jeremy Jackson
Jerald Robinson
Jeremy Gallon
Drew Dileo

Actually, that's not too bad. Michigan was probably going to grab two wide receivers in this class anyway but now they absolutely have to.

what about Kelvin Grady?

michlady77 said:

I thought the multiple !!!'s would show the sarcasm of my post. I guess not. Well, at least, Art got it.

Hungry said:
b311j said:
From MGoBlog:

Darryl Stonum
Roy Roundtree
Jeremy Jackson
Jerald Robinson
Jeremy Gallon
Drew Dileo

what about Kelvin Grady?

That's for next year, he's a senior.

DR said:
Hungry said:
what about Kelvin Grady?

That's for next year, he's a senior.

right, duh, I should've known that...still, I haven't heard much about him lately. They were talking him about quite a bit before, but I haven't heard anything about him since fall camp began.

Back