Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Anybody here go to church?

You might need to have a talk with the Lady. She might be harboring feelings for God..:nod:

Do you think I go around requiring everyone I know to strictly adhere to my worldview?

She has her own views and that's fine. more importantly, she doesn't spend our money or time on them, and they don't require anything of me (other than the one aforementioned baptism) so I don't really care what she believes.

I stopped going regularly when I graduated from high school - except when I was home for the holidays/summer. Started going weekly and most Holy days again after I met my wife almost 7 years ago. Both her parents (opus dei, but my wife isn't) and mine receive communion daily. Byco said it best, I would just add that if you find the right parish, there is a great sense of community - neither a cross or a crutch but we feel we've easily gotten as much or more out of our involvement than we've put into it.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why it was so important for her. its not like she goes to church ever or prays or anything like that. her belief system seems pretty cobbled together on an ad hoc basis to me

The Holy Spirit guided her.

Do you think I go around requiring everyone I know to strictly adhere to my worldview?

She has her own views and that's fine. more importantly, she doesn't spend our money or time on them, and they don't require anything of me (other than the one aforementioned baptism) so I don't really care what she believes.

Oh okay..carry on.

Proud to report Champ jr. Screamed bloody murder through the whole ordeal.

Well duh, champ....of course the Holy water is going anger the spawn of the devil. Probably burns the skin a touch I'd say...

United Methodist.. Went a lot as a kid but was bored with it... Married wife in east Lansing went of to Vegas and there was a great Minister at the Untied Methodist in Henderson at the time (since retired) he was a kind man and help everyone.. I liked the way he preached when I did go.. But the untied Methodist out there and the one back here in Michigan was like night and day... The lady pastor although nice interjected her fucking conservative Politics into every damn sermon so that was that for that church... As the years go by I just hate how religious organization try and steal elections cram freaking stuff down people throat's then claim tax free status at the end of the year.. I hate it when the first thing out of peoples mouth when we moved back to West Michigan was
"So what church do you belong to"
Like WTF... It really is none of anyone's business what anyone believes in.. We can all believe in whatever we like.. I am pretty sure there is no heaven or hell... I hope I am proven wrong as I will probably die before my wife and I want to be reunited with my beautiful wife.... But alas doubt it.... I would like religion a lot better if there was NO POLITICS ENVOLVED...There is just to many wrong types of ways people can die for me to believe there is a all being protecting us..

Wait I believe in Jupiter.. (The planet) . "The vacuum of the solar system"

As the years go by I just hate how religious organization try and steal elections cram freaking stuff down people throat's then claim tax free status at the end of the year..

I hear you. I also feel that way about unions...

I hear you. I also feel that way about unions...

But without Unions owners would have no measures in place to stop abuse of the common workers... You can hate Unions all you want but they have done some good historically.. I would hate to think what would happen to America without them. Just my opinion but I have never thought owners have had their workers best interest a heart..

There are religious institution's that are better then others but I have never understood why they should collect free money and never play taxes on it? It makes no sense..

Last edited:
But without Unions owners would have no measures in place to stop abuse of the common workers... You can hate Unions all you want but they have done some good historically.. I would hate to think what would happen to America without them. Just my opinion but I have never thought owners have had their workers best interest a heart..

you can change what would happen without to what has happened without. globalization, anti unionism, technology, etc all eradicate jobs. get used to high unemployment and low participation in the workforce. I guess that's fine as long as we have a big welfare state but it seems like the sociopaths want it both ways.

Last edited:

There are religious institution's that are better then others but I have never understood why they should collect free money and never play taxes on it? It makes no sense..

In my younger years, I worked for Wal-Mart for a few weeks. All throughout training, they drove home the idea that unions were evil. If we were ever approached by someone from a union, we were to ignore them and go straight to our closest supervisor. Back then, I didn't really know much about politics and almost nothing about unions, so I bought into the idea. Took a year or two for me to figure it all out.

Good luck today with anyone who attempts to generate an alternative union(s) to compete with the Teamsters, IATSE, UAW, etc, and allow companies to choose between them. The existing unions have a monopoly on organizing them.

Non-profit organizations are not taxed.

Workers have OSHA, equal opportunity, all the anti-discrimination laws they need and free will to stop their abuse by management. Unions served a purpose at one point but they are now just abusive, corrupt, job killing organizations that collect money from workers, spend whatever the leaders don't steal on lobbying or buying elections and don't pay taxes. You like unions so it's OK when they do it but you don't like religion so it's not OK when they do it. And for the record, a lot of good has been in the world in the name of religion - probably more good than unions have done.

Last edited:
you can change what would happen without to what has happened without. globalization, anti unionism, technology, etc all eradicate jobs. get used to high unemployment and low participation in the workforce. I guess that's fine as long as we have a big welfare state but it seems like the sociopaths want it both ways.

Don't want to hijack this thread but that all happened not only WITH but BECAUSE of unions. If American employers could pay a market clearing wage, the US would still have a competitive manufacturing sector and a strong middle class. Just look at autoworkers in the nonunion south...

Last edited:
The only think I don't like about unions: side story here, I did computer work for GM in Warren. There was this one lady who didn't like something so she decided to sit on her ass for weeks and not do a thing.

She couldn't get fired.

Now this might have been an isolated case, I'm sure you can get fired as part of a union, but it still made me get my views as far as not being positive about unions.

I've had similar thoughts about a tenured Teacher.

Sell out!

Well not really, because from champ's point of view it was just a little harmless ceremony and his kid got a little water sprinkled over him.

Though I do wonder if champ is P-whipped. If any of you morally superior types suggested that he get champ jr. baptized he would probably fight you to the death over it. But the Mrs. says lets do it and he's all "yes, dear". :hehe:

So it's really a question of what he sold out to.

Well not really, because from champ's point of view it was just a little harmless ceremony and his kid got a little water sprinkled over him.

Though I do wonder if champ is P-whipped. If any of you morally superior types suggested that he get champ jr. baptized he would probably fight you to the death over it. But the Mrs. says lets do it and he's all "yes, dear". :hehe:

So it's really a question of what he sold out to.

Nah, nah...

I got married under a huppa wearing a Yarmulke by a Rabbi.

It's what the wife wanted; cool, whatever; ceremonial crap is better to yield over to the womenfolk - unless of course one is a religious militant who uses religion to subjugate women. In that case, of course, it's shooting one's self in the foot.

Hey - it's my two year anniversary today!!!

Back