Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Ausmus it is then

mjsb2

The Tigers will hire Brad Ausmus as manager, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports tweets. The news was first reported in a tweet by Adam Spolane of SportsRadio 610.

Ausmus, 44, is currently a special assistant with the Padres. He was previously connected with the Cubs, and also interviewed with the Mariners and Nationals. Over the course of his impressive 18-year playing career, Ausmus caught nearly 16,000 innings, appearing in an All-Star game and winning three gold gloves.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/11/tigers-to-hire-ausmus-as-manager.html#disqus_thread

If true, I think I like this. We'll see! He must have impressed DD.

You need to let Matthew Mowery know they didn't settle.

If @dery1051 is correct and Gene Lamont will remain as bench coach... I'd be VERY surprised if Jeff Jones returns.
Paul Wezner
Lamont stays, as Ausmus' bench coach (was a coach in Houston when Brad was a player there) & Jeff Jones retains his pitching coach duties.

We will find out soon enough who the coaches are....which will be retained and the new coaches.

From what I am reading, DD never did have Torey Lovullo in for an interview.

Its better than what some of the alternatives were. I'm fine with keeping Jones but the rest should go, including Lamont.

Names of note from Ausmus' Team Israel WBC roster: Shawn Green, Ben Guez, Nate Freiman, Josh Satin, Shlomo Liptetz.

Shlomo? oy vey.

Gabe Kapler was a coach.

Last edited:
I wonder of keeping Lamont was part of the deal they offered him? Like a backup in case they decide he [Ausmus] isn't working out, they can always reboot back to Leyland 2.0

I'm ready to support him, but a rookie skipper would not have been my first choice for a team in our position.

Excited by the hire.

Like a new school manager, I think he'll be great strategically.

According to Red Sox sources, Ausmus was the most impressive during the interview process last year, but Cherrington was so infatuated with Farrell before they started interviews.

He obviously wowed Dombrowski with his interview as well.

Really hope they keep on Jones as pitching coach.

Honestly the list of candidates was VERY slim and there was a LOT of interest in Ausmus from several teams so I think DD did make a good decision in bringing him in. Could very well be Mike Matheny version 2 here and he didn't fair to bad so.

Guess we will soon see.

Win the WS or bust for me.. Did not care who they hired.. We have to win it all next year..

Good hire, I like this more than some stale 60 year old that's been fired 3 times

I'm glad we went with a younger guy. But why keep Lamont? I understand with a young manager, you would like an experienced bench coach. Give me Phil Garner as a bench coach who Ausmus played under in Houston.

As a person who believes a manager has little impact on a season, I think the only question is how well the players accept the new manager.

The players and talent wins ball games. If they are willing to give it all for Ausmus, great. Certainly a manager can alienate the team and here is hoping that doesn't happen.

I'm glad we went with a younger guy. But why keep Lamont? I understand with a young manager, you would like an experienced bench coach. Give me Phil Garner as a bench coach who Ausmus played under in Houston.

Garner is an asshole and I don't want him anywhere around this team.

Garner is an asshole and I don't want him anywhere around this team.

Not saying Garner was the best choice but better than Lamont. Ausmus also played under Brad Mills and Cecil Cooper. Anyone but Lamont. Don't need him telling Ausmus every other day "That's not how Jim did it."

The only thing that would make sense is Gene is a respected coach by the players and DD didn't want a COMPLETE coaching overhaul especially given the fact we are talking about a rookie manager so.

Ausmus is NOT a Leyland guy so I don't think we have to worry about Gene saying "That's not how Jim did it" simply because well Leyland didn't win a World Series here with this team and bottom line this team is built for World Series or bust so.

I think though keeping on Gene it will help with the transition for Ausmus and give him someone right beside him with whom he can use as needed in the early stages of learning the players AND characters on this team.

I wonder of keeping Lamont was part of the deal they offered him? Like a backup in case they decide he [Ausmus] isn't working out, they can always reboot back to Leyland 2.0

I'm ready to support him, but a rookie skipper would not have been my first choice for a team in our position.

Ausmus, or any manager, will not account for more than 3 wins or losses with this group of players, or with any group of players in a season. And he seems the sort that will put the right players in the right spots and not bat Kelly second, ever, or even have him around next year.

Back