Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Ausmus it is then

As a person who believes a manager has little impact on a season, I think the only question is how well the players accept the new manager.

The players and talent wins ball games. If they are willing to give it all for Ausmus, great. Certainly a manager can alienate the team and here is hoping that doesn't happen.

It's more of a fact than a belief anymore. This team is on a mission and does not need a motivational manager. One of the things Smokes did well was not go in the clubhouse. Surely Ausmus is smart enough not to affect what worked previously. The one thing he needs to do is get Fielder on track.

This seems like a pretty good hire from the options we had. And he's only 44. I don't think he'll have a negative impact on the clubhouse. This clubhouse seems to run itself. And even if there have been issues, we've never heard a word about them.

But it's all about the players. Do your job when you are called upon.

The only thing that would make sense is Gene is a respected coach by the players and DD didn't want a COMPLETE coaching overhaul especially given the fact we are talking about a rookie manager so.

Ausmus is NOT a Leyland guy so I don't think we have to worry about Gene saying "That's not how Jim did it" simply because well Leyland didn't win a World Series here with this team and bottom line this team is built for World Series or bust so.

I think though keeping on Gene it will help with the transition for Ausmus and give him someone right beside him with whom he can use as needed in the early stages of learning the players AND characters on this team.

I know in the NFL a GM hires his head coach and then the HC makes all the coaching decisions (which one's he wants to keep and which to hire). Even a rookie HC. Is it not like that in MLB?

This seems like a pretty good hire from the options we had. And he's only 44. I don't think he'll have a negative impact on the clubhouse. This clubhouse seems to run itself. And even if there have been issues, we've never heard a word about them.

But it's all about the players. Do your job when you are called upon.

It might be the players but when you're best SP is pitching well, you don't replace him just because 2 guys got on base. Like game 6. In-fact why replace him in game 2? You let your best guys get out of jams, not rely on the BP.

That's on Leyland.

Like the hire, remains to be seen if I will love the hire of Ausmus as Tigers manager. Can understand the logic behind retaining Lamont as his bench coach, but hopefully for only a season or two.

I don't understand the Lamont logic at all. He adds nothing, IMO, even for a rookie manager.

Love the hire, can't wait for next season.

How many games will it take before that select group of fans want him fired?

I don't understand the Lamont logic at all. He adds nothing, IMO, even for a rookie manager.

I think we all would prefer Lamont to go but I do think it makes some sense he stays. You are not trying to blow this entire thing over and start from scratch. You are just trying to go from a yearly playoff series winner to a world series winner. I'm sure he can supply some valuable insight and bridge the past to the future. I have to imagine the players at least have some respect and love for Lamont.

If it doesn't work after this year then I would think Ausmus would clean house and bring in all his own guys.

It might be the players but when you're best SP is pitching well, you don't replace him just because 2 guys got on base. Like game 6. In-fact why replace him in game 2? You let your best guys get out of jams, not rely on the BP.

That's on Leyland.

No matter what choice he makes in that situation, he'll be crushed for it if the pitcher doesn't get out of the jam. That's just what happens. Leave your starter in and he gives up the runs everyone will say you left him in too long and it was clear he didn't have it anymore. Bring in the bull pen guy(s) and he gives up the runs then everyone says you should have stayed with starter.

No matter what choice he makes in that situation, he'll be crushed for it if the pitcher doesn't get out of the jam. That's just what happens. Leave your starter in and he gives up the runs everyone will say you left him in too long and it was clear he didn't have it anymore. Bring in the bull pen guy(s) and he gives up the runs then everyone says you should have stayed with starter.

I can live with the fact Max implodes. He's our best. But the fact remains, get out of a jam, Max or the BP? Its easy for me, always go with the best. Can you imagine Leyland taking JV out of a game like that in 2011-2012? It wouldn't happen.

Last edited:
Im not a Lamont fan, but I also dont think I'd mind if he stayed on as bench coach for a little while. He and Ausmus are good friends, and Lamont has been here 8 years and knows the players and could help Brad integrate into the clubhouse, etc.

I also hope we keep Jones, he's been excellent. I want new blood elsewhere for coaches though, especially hitting (GO TO SEATTLE, MCCLENDON)

I can live with the fact Max implodes. He's our best. But the fact remains, get out of a jam, Max or the BP? Its easy for me, always go with the best. Can you imagine Leyland taking JV out of a game like that in 2011-2012? It wouldn't happen.

I remember the season opener against Boston in in 2012. JV goes 8 innings gives up 2 hits and leaves the game with a 2-0 lead. Papa Grande blows the save (we still won 3-2). Next game out against Tampa JV is humming along again so Leyland leaves him in. He stays in the game in the 9th with a 2-0 lead and blows the game 4-2.

I'm only bringing that up to say that's why I don't get very mad at the manager. You can argue he made the right move or wrong move in both situations. When we lose people want to blame and say it was the wrong move. More times than not I think it is just a situation where the right move didn't work out.

That's on Leyland.

FFS Mitch, how long are we going to go on about this? Max said he was done...so yeah, blame the manager who pulls a guy who says he's outta gas.

Freaking moronic, if he left Max in and Max blew it you would be moaning that he should have pulled him when he said he was gassed.

There is no logic in this statement. You say he adds nothing but you don't have one idea what he does or doesn't add.

You don't know his relationship with the remaining players, Ausmus, advice he might offer a rookie manager, etc.

Ausmus, or any manager, will not account for more than 3 wins or losses with this group of players, or with any group of players in a season. And he seems the sort that will put the right players in the right spots and not bat Kelly second, ever, or even have him around next year.

Who are you trying to convince? I have been saying this all along, when almost everyone else insisted (even you iirc) were blaming losses on Leyland.

Back