Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

B1G Championship Game vs Iowa

In 1973 Big 10 commissioners voted to send OSU to the Rose Bowl after the two teams met undefeated and the game ended tied.

In 1997, the coaches voted the coaches championship to Nebraska after the AP had announced Michigan as the national champions.

Those are the two that come to mind.

Before I make points that this situation is different, is there anything I?m missing?

Just 2006 where Florida played OSU for the national championship over us getting a rematch. We really got screwed by the voters that year, too, since both OSU and Michigan got CLOWN STOMPED by Florida and USC, respectively. I hope I used that correctly.

Michigan is constantly overrated in polls, pre-season and during the season. The voters can't wait to vote michigan in the top 25. As Champ said, we often get better bowl bids than we deserve (which is probably a small part of the reason for our poor bowl record) and this isn't the coaches or the AP. If Michigan wins, they're in. Regardless of any other outcome. Even if Bama wins, it's UC getting bumped out for OSU, not Michigan.

Iowa has had real problems at both tackles on the offensive line. Plays right into Hutch and Ojabo. If Iowa falls behind or is an obvious passing situations, they are in deep shit.

Last edited:
In 1973 Big 10 commissioners voted to send OSU to the Rose Bowl after the two teams met undefeated and the game ended tied.

In 1997, the coaches voted the coaches championship to Nebraska after the AP had announced Michigan as the national champions.

Those are the two that come to mind.

Before I make points that this situation is different, is there anything I?m missing?

I don't think '97 is even worth bringing up as though it were some screwjob against Michigan.

I remember hearing it was because Phil Fulmer voted us 4th, out of spite b/c Woodson won the Heisman over Peyton Manning, but the internet is now not so sure, and Fulmer himself denied it. Either way, we were still national champions.

get real. Cincinnati could beat Houston 100-0, and we could beat Iowa 3-2 in 6 OTs and they still wouldn't jump us.

Not really sure where your victim complex comes from... the only time in CFB you could even argue we'd been screwed would be '06. and given that we didn't even win the Big Ten after losing to OSU, that's not really on objective ground.

More often than not, we get slotted into Bowl games better than other Big Ten teams with the same record or a better one. in 2011 MSU finished higher in the conference AND beat us head-to-head, and we STILL went to a better bowl game than they did.

Dude, don?t the lesson I teach you on the free speech boards about critical thinking sink in at all?

Look at the link I posted on #56 with the new rankings?CINCINNATI IS ALREADY IN! They don?t have to win by 100?THEY could win by a point in 6 OTs and they?ll still be in (you can?t win 3-2 in 6 OTs). They don?t HAVE to jump Michigan to be in?win and they?re in.

Michigan is also win and they?re in.

Michigan and Cincinnati aren?t vying against each other for anything.

Each is just vying against the team in front of them.

For both, they beat the team in front of them and and they?re in.

I don't think '97 is even worth bringing up as though it were some screwjob against Michigan.

I remember hearing it was because Phil Fulmer voted us 4th, out of spite b/c Woodson won the Heisman over Peyton Manning, but the internet is now not so sure, and Fulmer himself denied it. Either way, we were still national champions.

I forgot about 1947.

The final AP poll had Michigan as national champion.

Then for what seemed no reason, they voted again and named Notre Dame national champion.

Michigan fans still discount the final 1947 poll.

That?s all I can think of.

Last edited:
Pulling for you boys. Helluva impressive showing against Bucks. Wolverines appear to be a tough out going forward. This might be Harbaugh's year to catch lightning in a bottle. Go B1G, and I mean that.

What letdown? What ?overlooking the opponent? crap is this? There are no self-loathing middle aged men on the roster, no apologetic limp wrists or namby pamby nonsense!!

Well the UPI that gave Ga Tech it?s shared title that changed and became the inaugural ESPN/USA TODAY Coaches Poll was not the AP, nor the standard for any prior titles. The BCS and now post-BCS/Playoff world has skewed the memory of that split in ?98. Only Colorado played both teams that year; in Ann Arbor to open and vs NU to close. Most folks -ESP those in Stinkin? Lincoln, forget how they almost lost that game to lowly CU, the Sporting News 1997 Pre-Season #1.

Last edited:
I disagree that Cincinnati is win and in. If Bama wins and OSU wins, I think UC is in trouble unless they smoke Houston. If UC wins and UGA wins, then I think they are in. They have always put the strength of schedule asterisk by UC and if OSU beats Baylor it would be back to back top 14 wins.

I'm hoping that it's Georgia, UM, UC & OSU. The crazy thing is if UGA, UM, UC and Baylor win the ND is the likely 4 seed but they won't have a coach. Crazy year, but a great year to be in the position that michigan is in.

I disagree that Cincinnati is win and in. If Bama wins and OSU wins, I think UC is in trouble unless they smoke Houston. If UC wins and UGA wins, then I think they are in. They have always put the strength of schedule asterisk by UC and if OSU beats Baylor it would be back to back top 14 wins.

I'm hoping that it's Georgia, UM, UC & OSU. The crazy thing is if UGA, UM, UC and Baylor win the ND is the likely 4 seed but they won't have a coach. Crazy year, but a great year to be in the position that michigan is in.

Doesn?t ND need Cincinnati and Michigan to lose ? One or both?

Doesn?t ND need Cincinnati and Michigan to lose ? One or both?

They're 6th so likely need 2 above them to lose with the exception of Georgia. So any 2 from Michigan, UC, Bama and Oklahoma State would likely get them into the top 4. I don't think the committee will keep a 2 loss Bama in over 1 loss ND. Could be wrong if it's a really close game, but that's a hard sell, especially if UC isn't one of the losses, meaning their only loss of the season is to a playoff team.

That A&M loss and the Auburn game are going to bite Bama.

Kelly?s leaving ND will hurt its chances of the team getting into the playoff, per the rules of the playoff committee.

?Our protocol does include the ability to consider a player or coach being available.?

Committee head Gary Barta

Kelly?s leaving ND will hurt its chances of the team getting into the playoff, per the rules of the playoff committee.

?Our protocol does include the ability to consider a player or coach being available.?

Committee head Gary Barta

Which is both understandable and awful. As much as I despise NDsucks, ask yourself who benefits if they get jobbed there...OSU.

Plus I think it's absolutely unfair to the players that their coach can f them over like that.

Zero losses in these. Someone call Nike and have them get their sweatshop sewing!
72eebc905888b580313e2bf18f8a67b0.jpg

Holy shit, that's bad.

In everything that has come to light since The Beatdown, the thing that brings the most confidence and hope for me that UM will beat Iowa is the hunger that Hutch has to win a B1G Championship. He hears from his father constantly about how Dad won but you haven't yet... and the competitor in him is going to fire the entire team up. The end result will be a big win for UM.

In everything that has come to light since The Beatdown, the thing that brings the most confidence and hope for me that UM will beat Iowa is the hunger that Hutch has to win a B1G Championship. He hears from his father constantly about how Dad won but you haven't yet... and the competitor in him is going to fire the entire team up. The end result will be a big win for UM.

Add in that every single take that I have seen where people are predicting this to be a close game or Iowa win is attributing it almost entirely to a hangover on Michigan's part. I don't see that happening. In years passed? Yes. This team? They've been saying all year that they are different and they made me a believer Saturday.

I am a little leery about the fact that everyone is overlooking Iowa. It's definitely going to be motivation for Iowa. But I don't see what that team brings to the table on offense to be able to score and their defense hasn't faced an offense like Michigan. If Michigan just takes care of the ball they'll win by 2 scores easily.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This

Just go out, be the team you are, and take care of business the way you?ve been doing.

EDIT: I don?t think the team is overlooking Iowa.

It doesn?t matter what everyone or anyone else is doing.

Last edited:
Agreed. I think they are 100% focused. Everyone else is assuming it would be easy to have a hangover because nobody else expected them to be there. They're not taking into account the fact that this was the plan all along for everyone in that locker room.

Back