Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Basketball

Nice win. Only saw the 2nd half - didn?t protect the lead that well but they didn?t fall apart and blow it either. Have to give credit to Hoggard - don?t know why Walker sat most of the half but he played well. Marble needs more minutes - he?s easily our best defender against bigs.

Edey ate Marble up for most of the game. Bingham and Marble were so terrible defensively in the 1st half that Mady got 4 minutes and really sparked the team. Hoggard really put the clamps on Ivey. For once our guards and wings were closing out on the 3 point shots and getting in passing lanes. Looked like a different team on defense. Our bigs still are soft and don't rebound so this team is gonna be rough to watch. But at oeast we pulled this game out.

Edey ate Marble up for most of the game. Bingham and Marble were so terrible defensively in the 1st half that Mady got 4 minutes and really sparked the team. Hoggard really put the clamps on Ivey. For once our guards and wings were closing out on the 3 point shots and getting in passing lanes. Looked like a different team on defense. Our bigs still are soft and don't rebound so this team is gonna be rough to watch. But at oeast we pulled this game out.

Didn?t see the first half - started watching ~ 3 mins into 2h. Eden was on the bench for awhile when I started watching and Marble was making plays on both ends of the floor as they built the 11 pt lead (I think I even saw gave brown go 1 for 3 from deep if I recall correctly). I like Marble best of our bigs bc he doesn?t get pushed around like Bingham does and he has a pretty nice touch. Didn?t see Mady play at all - my impression of him is he?s strong and athletic but can?t help committing tons of fouls.

Edey came in after a bit and got some baskets but I can?t knock guys too much for that - he?s 7?4? so it?s pretty hard to deny him the ball when he can catch passes no one can touch and can then just shoot over anyone.

One of the frustrations of watching college basketball is refs seem to just let guys with size advantages (cockburn, edey) post up and just barrel their way to the rim like they?re doing a backward Oklahoma drill then call the slightest bit of contact on the shot in their favor after they?ve body slammed their way to the rim.

Last edited:
Didn?t see the first half - started watching ~ 3 mins into 2h. Eden was on the bench for awhile when I started watching and Marble was making plays on both ends of the floor as they built the 11 pt lead (I think I even saw gave brown go 1 for 3 from deep if I recall correctly). I like Marble best of our bigs bc he doesn?t get pushed around like Bingham does and he has a pretty nice touch. Didn?t see Mady play at all - my impression of him is he?s strong and athletic but can?t help committing tons of fouls.

Edey came in after a bit and got some baskets but I can?t knock guys too much for that - he?s 7?4? so it?s pretty hard to deny him the ball when he can catch passes no one can touch and can then just shoot over anyone.

One of the frustrations of watching college basketball is refs seem to just let guys with size advantages (cockburn, edey) post up and just barrel their way to the rim like they?re doing a backward Oklahoma drill then call the slightest bit of contact on the shot in their favor after they?ve body slammed their way to the rim.

The key with defending those guys is to not let them set up deep in the post. The bigs did a horrible job of that in the 1st half except for Mady. They made a better effort in the 2nd half and made Edey make contact several times with the ball to get to the hoop. He still got there often, but Marble had a couple nice flops to draw fouls and rattle him.

I?m not saying Marble is the answer, but to me he?s the best we have at a position of weakness. Bingham gets pushed around too much down low and spends a lot of time at the arc. My impression of Mady is he is very raw - he?s fairly new to the game if I?m not mistaken. Probably came to the wrong place as we?re probably known more for under utilizing bigs than developing them. Can?t think of many other than Tillman and Randolph and Randolph was basically nba ready when he came to MSU.

I?m not saying Marble is the answer, but to me he?s the best we have at a position of weakness. Bingham gets pushed around too much down low and spends a lot of time at the arc. My impression of Mady is he is very raw - he?s fairly new to the game if I?m not mistaken. Probably came to the wrong place as we?re probably known more for under utilizing bigs than developing them. Can?t think of many other than Tillman and Randolph and Randolph was basically nba ready when he came to MSU.

Costello, Paul Davis, Nix, Ward......all developed pretty well at MSU. We just end up with a lot of AAAA players. Good college players that just didn't have enough talent to play in the NBA.

Deyonte Davis should have stayed. He wasn't ready to leave and it showed.

Costello, Paul Davis, Nix, Ward......all developed pretty well at MSU. We just end up with a lot of AAAA players. Good college players that just didn't have enough talent to play in the NBA.

Deyonte Davis should have stayed. He wasn't ready to leave and it showed.

I forgot about Nix but Ward was heavily underutilized and probably should have left the program at a higher level than he did. As for Costello and Davis, they?re hardly examples a 4 star big is gonna look at and say ?I hope izzo can do that for me.? As you said they?re just not that talented - if izzo got everything out of them, it?s not a big selling point for raw bigs with real upside. Not sure sissoko is that kind of guy but I have to think his recruiting rank had more to do with his ceiling than his game at that point. Recruits are probably a lot more familiar with JJJ and DD and how much they sat behind less talented players than they are with what izzo did for Paul Davis? career.

Last edited:
This team peaked early and are now getting exposed. Gabe Brown has disappeared, Hall has also. All of the bigs are average and get owned by any decent big man. What has Max Christie ever done? He might be the most overrated player. The 2 pg are too hot and cold. This team might win their first round matchup but that?s it.

This team peaked early and are now getting exposed. Gabe Brown has disappeared, Hall has also. All of the bigs are average and get owned by any decent big man. What has Max Christie ever done? He might be the most overrated player. The 2 pg are too hot and cold. This team might win their first round matchup but that?s it.

I?m still not convinced we?re in yet. Need 1 more win to feel secure.

Having said that, I?m looking forward to this season ending. This might be the most uninspired MSU team ever, which is saying something given the garbage I watched last year and the bad 2011 team.

This team has the lowest bball IQ of any izzo team. Couple that with the fact they don't have any toughness makes them tough to watch.

they have no heart and less leadership. They don't play well as a team and they don't have a guy that can get tough baskets when you need them. Coming out of TO late in a close game (if it's close - we have 4 or 5 losses by 17+) I have no idea who is getting the ball and don't have a strong opinion other than "don't go to Brown". It's truly pathetic.

2-7 in our last 9 with losses to RU, PSU and michigan. We?re 6-9 since our home loss to northwestern. This team is worse than last year.

2-7 in our last 9 with losses to RU, PSU and michigan. We?re 6-9 since our home loss to northwestern. This team is worse than last year.

Like I said, I?m still not convinced we?re in the tourney, we still need another win. Which is obviously no guarantee. What a complete meltdown.

Frankly I?m so apathetic about this team right now that there?s a part of me that wouldn?t even care if we missed the tournament because it would save me a couple hours of watching this garbage product fall flat on their face again. I didn?t even flip the game on yesterday I had so little interest, that?s something that previously would have been unfathomable to me.

Like I said, I?m still not convinced we?re in the tourney, we still need another win. Which is obviously no guarantee. What a complete meltdown.

Frankly I?m so apathetic about this team right now that there?s a part of me that wouldn?t even care if we missed the tournament because it would save me a couple hours of watching this garbage product fall flat on their face again. I didn?t even flip the game on yesterday I had so little interest, that?s something that previously would have been unfathomable to me.

I completely agree - if we can lose to Northwestern at home and get our asses handed to us by teams as bad as Rutgers and uofm, not to mention a handful of big double digit losses, nothing is guaranteed.

I haven't watched nearly as much as I used to - between work, then driving kids to/from practice and helping out with homework, bedtime, etc I just can't justify taking the time to watch these midweek night games, especially when the team is so bad. And why ruin my weekend by 3pm Saturday after watching them lose by 17+ in the noon game. I'd like to watch with my son so he can learn more about the game, especially rebounding, setting or defending picks picks but I'd be constantly saying "don't do that" or something worse like, "watch how the other team does it" the whole time.

I've recorded every game but there have been at least 4 games where I checked the score in the morning and just deleted the game from the DVR.

Last edited:
I'm just hoping Brown, Bingham and Hauser all pass on coming back the extra year. This Sr group has been a major disappointment

Also, Izzo really needs to take more hits on this mess. The fact he buried a scholarship on a walk on that by no means needs it instead of bringing in a transfer big really looks bad now

I'm just hoping Brown, Bingham and Hauser all pass on coming back the extra year. This Sr group has been a major disappointment

Also, Izzo really needs to take more hits on this mess. The fact he buried a scholarship on a walk on that by no means needs it instead of bringing in a transfer big really looks bad now

I'm drawing a blank - who was the walk on? was it Hoiberg?

Last edited:
Steve Smith's kid. Had an open scholarship going into this season and he decided to not use it on another transfer.

Got it. Hoiberg was last season but same issue - blew a scholarship on a kid that didn?t need it when the team had big holes to fill.

All 3 kissed the floor yesterday, so you may get your wish. They almost didn't get the chance to come out during the game when they blew most of the 20 point lead.

I'd be OK if Hauser came back but wouldn't miss either of the other two - the NCAA really f'd him by making him sit out especially when they were so inconsistent with how they treated other transfers.

Marble just entered the transfer portal. Looks like a 5 guard lineup is in our near future.

Seriously though, pretty surprising given the major role he was walking into next year. Maybe something unannounced pushed him away. Like an incoming transfer or 5?

Marble just entered the transfer portal. Looks like a 5 guard lineup is in our near future.

Seriously though, pretty surprising given the major role he was walking into next year. Maybe something unannounced pushed him away. Like an incoming transfer or 5?

being underutilized and getting yanked for things that weren't necessarily his fault might have something to do with it.

any updates on Brown, Hauser and Bingham - any of them using their extra year COVID eligibility?

Back