Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Beer!

Gotta say I'm partial to blue or blue light as an every day beer. Its nice living so close to Canada, most places in Metro Detroit consider it a domestic. I could go on for days but Blue Moon, Magic Hat #9, most of the Samuel Adams, Guinness, Tiger beer (I think its Malaysian, but pretty commonly found), Honey Brown, and Rolling Rock are all fantastic.

[color=#551A8B said:
Danny Diggler[/color]]
DR said:
Hopslam is back!!

Lucky bastard... Send me some

BTW. How the hell did I miss this thread?

Founders
Founders
Founders
!
!
!

Hops for Amphs?

Been trying to get ahold of some Double Trouble. That and Hopslam are slim around these parts so far, hopefully the dam breaks open at some point.

DR said:
[color=#551A8B said:
Danny Diggler[/color]]

Lucky bastard... Send me some

BTW. How the hell did I miss this thread?

Founders
Founders
Founders
!
!
!

Hops for Amphs?

Been trying to get ahold of some Double Trouble. That and Hopslam are slim around these parts so far, hopefully the dam breaks open at some point.

Double Trouble isn't out until Spring I thought..

Edit. January. http://www.foundersbrewing.com/wp-content/uploads/the-lineup/beer_calendar.jpg

We've got some decent micros here in PA, but Founder's and Bell's are probably my two favorites so I'm jealous. I did have a Bell's Java Stout on tap at a local pub last night though...

A buddy of mine actually got his hands on a case of CBS and sold half of it on ebay...he hasn't tried it yet, I hope he's waiting for me! :)

Drank my 1st homebrew tonight (meaning the 1st made by me.) Better than expected. The kit came with columbus hops, so clearly, I had to modify the recipe.

Nice! What style? Extract kit or partial mash?

Wrote a recipe for a coconut stout, just got to get around to brewing it....

Nice sig by the way Red...was drinking 90 minute last night...

elrod said:
Nice! What style? Extract kit or partial mash?

Wrote a recipe for a coconut stout, just got to get around to brewing it....

Nice sig by the way Red...was drinking 90 minute last night...
IPA. Partial mash. It's only a 1 gallon carbouy though, so lautering has the potential to be much easier. 1st brewing was a mess. Beer turned out good, but it was a lot of work for so little beer. 2nd batch, I bought a mesh bag to brew in. Much easier.

Only problem is that I have cloudy beer and a lot of trub, more than an inch. And it get kicked up if I just move the carbouy before bottling...but I don't know how you would go about filtering it out. IT would clog up a filter pretty quickly I would think.

2ns batch, bottled friday, is a Saison.

First one I ever did was a RyePA. Turned out so-so and made a lot of mistakes in the process which was a great way to learn. Bottled the beer and had issues siphoning shooting beer all over the ceiling etc. A good way to help with beer clarity would be to use Irish Moss if you're not already doing that. Also transferring the beer to a secondary fermenter in the process will help too. Before I bottle I actually then transfer to a 5 gallon Gatorade cooler as bottling from the spigot makes it a hell of a lot easier...that also helps clarity...

Good luck and send me a sixer please ;)

Picked up a case of Founder's Double Trouble yesterday...I was lucky as it was the last of five cases that my distributor was getting (we have weird beer/liquor laws in PA). I'm also lucky that I'm going to get their only case of Founder's Better Half when it shows. Yesterday was a great beer day!

Progress thus far

brew 1: IPA went over well
brew 2: Saison went over very well
brew 3: Brown Ale, bottled almost ready - bought a hydrometer, 6.2%
brew 4: Garbage Pale Ale, won't be ready for a while yet, 6.0%
brew 5: Chocolate, Chili Stout, brewed an hour ago. I've got a bag of chilis my wife grew that I'm going to add to the secondary. This is going to be alcoholic hot sauce.

Couldn't find any Hopslam the other day but the guy at Andersons suggested Troegs' Nugget Nectar. Pretty damn good

Great Lakes puts out some good ones. I like their Pale Ale. Then there's Short's, a microbrewery from Bel-Air. They put out a bunch of good ones, though a few are seasonal so I'm not sure what the latest lineup is. Bell's of course is good, Two-Hearted IPA, Oberon, etc. I don't see those here out West though, so I still with stuff by Anchor Brewery, e.g. Anchor Steam and Anchor Porter. Russian River puts out some great IPAs like Pliny the Elder and there's other local ones too.

DR said:
Couldn't find any Hopslam the other day but the guy at Andersons suggested Troegs' Nugget Nectar. Pretty damn good

You in Michigan DR? If so I'm happy to hear that Troegs has made it out there. Nugget Nectar is a fine beer. Probably the best one in their lineup. A lot of people go ape shit over their Mad Elf, but I'm personally not a huge barleywine guy.

elrod said:
DR said:

You in Michigan DR? If so I'm happy to hear that Troegs has made it out there. Nugget Nectar is a fine beer. Probably the best one in their lineup. A lot of people go ape shit over their Mad Elf, but I'm personally not a huge barleywine guy.

I do live in Michigan, but I picked this up at Andersons in Toledo. They have a huge beer and wine section. I'll definitely be looking for it at my local store.

DR said:
elrod said:

I do live in Michigan, but I picked this up at Andersons in Toledo. They have a huge beer and wine section. I'll definitely be looking for it at my local store.

Fantastic DR. Troegs just opened up a second brewery in Hershey and I guess it's because they're starting to spread out good for them. Their Dead Reckoning Porter is also a solid brew.

If you like big hops though another local one around me is Stoudt's Smooth Hoperator. Don't know how wide their distribution net is, but that beer is fantastic. Most think it's a big IPA, but it's actually an insanely hopped lager.

In the spirit of the season I'm having Killian's Irish Red, even though it is a product of the U.S.A. but hey its the thought that counts.

Back