Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Beer!

elrod said:
Got my case of Founder's Better Half today!!!

Holy shit this is good!
shocked.gif

Got my case of Founder's Better Half today!!!

Wow, I just looked it up, 11.9%! So it comes in a wine bottle essentially? Can you give a description of what it tastes like in layman's terms?

Wow, I just looked it up, 11.9%! So it comes in a wine bottle essentially? Can you give a description of what it tastes like in layman's terms?

Heaven

Hmmm...layman's terms...I guess pancakes dipped in bourbon. Now I want to quantify that statement by saying that I don't like super sweet beer. I fear that my description my lend one to believe that it's a sweet beer and it's not. Good malt backbone to it. Excellent, excellent beer. It does come in 750mL bottles so a case is only 12 bottles. This shit will kick your ass.

Heaven

Hmmm...layman's terms...I guess pancakes dipped in bourbon. Now I want to quantify that statement by saying that I don't like super sweet beer. I fear that my description my lend one to believe that it's a sweet beer and it's not. Good malt backbone to it. Excellent, excellent beer. It does come in 750mL bottles so a case is only 12 bottles. This shit will kick your ass.

Appreciate the effort. I'll have to pick some up this weekend.

Hopefully you can find it. I know my local distributors in PA were each only allotted one case...single bottles are going on ebay for around $50. You're closer to the source so my hope is it's a bit more plentiful.

Hopefully you can find it. I know my local distributors in PA were each only allotted one case...single bottles are going on ebay for around $50. You're closer to the source so my hope is it's a bit more plentiful.

Not looking good so far.

Out of curiosity...anybody on the board interested in swapping brews they can't get in their area?

IPA. Partial mash. It's only a 1 gallon carbouy though, so lautering has the potential to be much easier. 1st brewing was a mess. Beer turned out good, but it was a lot of work for so little beer. 2nd batch, I bought a mesh bag to brew in. Much easier.

Only problem is that I have cloudy beer and a lot of trub, more than an inch. And it get kicked up if I just move the carbouy before bottling...but I don't know how you would go about filtering it out. IT would clog up a filter pretty quickly I would think.

2ns batch, bottled friday, is a Saison.

...just skimming through the thread...saw that I answered "partial mash". Being a noob, I had partial mash confused with batch sparging. All of my brewing, even the 1st batch, has been all grain.

I'm fermenting batch 11 now. Batch 10 is a Belgain that tastes like pears. The pears are a result of the particular yeast strain I used that isn't mentioned on the Wyeast website, but does show up if you check homebrew blogs. So I wasn't expecting pear, but now that I've got it, it's not not bad and obviously it's not difficult if I'm doing it...so it's got me wondering why there aren't any similar commercial beers.

...just skimming through the thread...saw that I answered "partial mash". Being a noob, I had partial mash confused with batch sparging. All of my brewing, even the 1st batch, has been all grain.

I'm fermenting batch 11 now. Batch 10 is a Belgain....

NOOB!

You also spelled "Belgian" incorrectly two sentences later...

Whats the best beer for the winter? Thinking of stepping up my drinking game.

Whats the best beer for the winter? Thinking of stepping up my drinking game.

Belgian breweries affiliated with brewing monasteries usually have high-gravity, spiced Christmas ales. I dug up a clone recipe for the most authentic sounding Christmas ale I could find and added a bit of clove to it (I need to bottle the stuff soon.) You wouldn't want to drink it most of the year, but around Christmas, it's the right thing to do...like egg nog.

guess where I stopped on my way back to Chicago after thanksgiving???

Bell's Brewery in KZoo.

nice place they had, but I expected a bit more, since they're one of the progenitors of the movement. didn't do a brewery tour, but got a couple beers in the restaurant, then checked out the gift shop. the gift shop seemed to have a lot of nice beer-making supplies.

with a bit better city planning KZoo as a whole could be a nice place to visit.

Drank some Great Lakes Brewing Co, Chillwave Double IPA last night. 9.4% and very tasty

Back