Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Best comic Book movies of all time

Originally Posted by Thumb View Post
The rumor is that they are saving Thanos for a possible mega-movie which might encompass The Avengers, the Guardians of the Galaxy, The Fantastic Four, and possibly Spiderman franchises revolving around Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet.

Two of the Infinity Gems have already been revealed, the Tesseract, and the Aether, and the 3rd is supposed to be in the new Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

Could include Xmen too maybe

It's highly, highly unlikely that X-Men, Spiderman, or the Fantastic Four appear in an Avengers/Marvel movie anytime soon because Marvel doesn't own the rights.

Fox owns X-Men and Fantastic Four while Sony owns Spider Man.

The only exception to the rule is characters that are related closely to both franchises, i.e. Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch were so closely related to both the Avengers (they were both members for a very long time) and to the X-Men (they're Magneto's children), they can be used by both Fox and Marvel.

The studios would want a huge cut and would likely make the Avengers movie(s) a whole lot less profitable.

*Edit**

2334776-1335205180372.png

Last edited:
I don't believe that's correct; the part about Marvel now owning those titles. Marvel owns them all, but has licensed them to other studios. Marvel studios basically = Disney now anyways.

What I have read never included the X-men, likely because of the headlining actors involved, Jackman, McKellan, Berry. Where as only Downey Jr. is a top line actor in the other franchises mentioned.

It's highly, highly unlikely that X-Men, Spiderman, or the Fantastic Four appear in an Avengers/Marvel movie anytime soon because Marvel doesn't own the rights.

Fox owns X-Men and Fantastic Four while Sony owns Spider Man.

The only exception to the rule is characters that are related closely to both franchises, i.e. Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch were so closely related to both the Avengers (they were both members for a very long time) and to the X-Men (they're Magneto's children), they can be used by both Fox and Marvel.

The studios would want a huge cut and would likely make the Avengers movie(s) a whole lot less profitable.

*Edit**

2334776-1335205180372.png

Disney owns Marvel now remember and they can just buy out the contract with Fox if they wanted to. I could see a mega movie like ONSLAUGHT coming

I don't believe that's correct; the part about Marvel now owning those titles. Marvel owns them all, but has licensed them to other studios. Marvel studios basically = Disney now anyways.

What I have read never included the X-men, likely because of the headlining actors involved, Jackman, McKellan, Berry. Where as only Downey Jr. is a top line actor in the other franchises mentioned.

Apologies, I misspoke and you are correct. When I said own, I meant have the rights to.

Unless those studios stop making movies for each particular franchise, they'll have the rights to them indefinitely. I'm not sure what the actual length of time is, but it's why Marvel now has rights to Punisher again. The studio that had rights didn't make a Punisher movie for a select period of time and they in turn, lost the rights. Hypothetically, this could happen with any of the other Marvel properties as well.

Disney owns Marvel now remember and they can just buy out the contract with Fox if they wanted to. I could see a mega movie like ONSLAUGHT coming

While this is correct, it's also a huge assumption. As far as I know there haven't been any negotiations at all. Also, Disney didn't get where they are by just throwing money around randomly. Imo, they won't look to spend millions of dollars buying out Fox/Sony until they've depleted their current roster.

Last edited:
Apologies, I misspoke and you are correct. When I said own, I meant have the rights to.

Unless those studios stop making movies for each particular franchise, they'll have the rights to them indefinitely. I'm not sure what the actual length of time is, but it's why Marvel now has rights to Punisher again. The studio that had rights didn't make a Punisher movie for a select period of time and they in turn, lost the rights. Hypothetically, this could happen with any of the other Marvel properties as well.

Well iirc Marvel signed a 13 movie deal with Paramount as the distributor (Disney is locked out of distribution until the contract is complete). Iron man 1,2,3 + Thor 1,2 + Captain America 1,2 + Avengers 1,2 + Guardians makes it 10 films so far by my count, I don't think any of the previous Hulk films were part of it since it started with Iron Man. Thor 3 is in the planning stages. That leaves 2 films to go. Downey Jr. is no longer under contract to play Iron Man since his 4 movie contract expired after IM3, so the talk of another Iron Man sequel has been suggested as a reboot, since Downey's salary is enormous. So either another Captain America, another HULK, or a 3rd Avengers would be most likely.

Well iirc Marvel signed a 13 movie deal with Paramount as the distributor (Disney is locked out of distribution until the contract is complete). Iron man 1,2,3 + Thor 1,2 + Captain America 1,2 + Avengers 1,2 + Guardians makes it 10 films so far by my count, I don't think any of the previous Hulk films were part of it since it started with Iron Man. Thor 3 is in the planning stages. That leaves 2 films to go. Downey Jr. is no longer under contract to play Iron Man since his 4 movie contract expired after IM3, so the talk of another Iron Man sequel has been suggested as a reboot, since Downey's salary is enormous. So either another Captain America, another HULK, or a 3rd Avengers would be most likely.

I really hope they stay away from an Iron Man reboot until they've explored other characters. But you know movie executives will butcher a franchise just to make money. Just look at Batman.

i don't see why downey can't still do it. Iron man remade his career

I don't think it's a matter of "can't", it's more of a "doesn't want to". He's made more money than he'll ever spend with Iron Man/Sherlock Holmes. It's up to him and him alone.

Movies like Iron Man are really expensive to make. Not only do you end up buying and wrecking tons of things like cars, then you add all the CGI time and it adds up.

Usually they can get away with it because the actors generally speaking have modest salaries, except Downey Jr. does not.

Take The Avengers for example:

S. Jackson : 4-6 million between base salary and bonuses
S. Johansen: 4-6 million between base salary and bonuses
C. Hemsworth: 2-4 million between base salary and bonuses
J. Renner : 2-4 million between base salary and bonuses
C. Evans: 2-4 million between base salary and bonuses
M. Ruffalo: 2-4 million between base salary and bonuses
Downey Jr: 50 million flat guaranteed salary

Fact is, Downey Jr. would probably love to do more films and will reportedly be in Avengers 2, but he is not very cost effective, from a production standpoint. Consider he made more then all the other actors, and extras combined in The Avengers.

I read literally thousands of comic books as a kid/teen, and never bought many individually, since my mother was an antique collector beginning in the mid-60s. She went to rummage and garage sales, and would occasionally bring grocery bags full of used comic books home that she paid a few bucks for my siblings and I to read.

It should be obvious what my favorite was. The comic books included issues of the Classic comics series which were all based upon the great novels over the centuries, such as Moby Dick, A Tale of Two Cities, Green Mansions, The Scarlet Letter, and hundreds of others. Reading those were illustrated similar to the old Prince Valiant comic strip that ran in major newspapers, but I could not get into that strip b/c it was just one to maybe three panes per strip, and difficult to follow.

I feel that reading those comics as a kid, enriched my vocabulary and my knowledge of historic events/tales..

Last edited:
Back