Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Bulletin board material

Saw in the GR press today that MSU players won't say the word Michigan at all. Pretty funny stuff..

I'm not trying to throw RR in your face. You said way back that you've never been one of those Spartans that makes that claim and I took you at your word.

I'm the one that made a comparison between JLS and RR. I'm not accusing you of doing it. I looked into it and figured out that JLS is was not remotely as big a deviation from the norm as RR. In fact, JLS is not all that far from the norm. Seeing how he's the worst you've lived through, what that means is MSU has been consistent. Dantonio is the anomaly. On a historic scale. Best since you joined the Big Ten.

That's the thing I find interesting. The difference between perception and the reality of it. You're the one that keeps bringing up the trash talk from years ago that you say doesn't bother you.

To the casual observer, it may not look like much of a drop off. But to Spartan fans who lived through it, the differences were dramatic and they go way beyond the records, which no matter what you say were worse under JLS (except maybe BW who was just as bad). Under those two clowns the teams were routinely destroyed by virtually everyone that counts and neither ever had any big wins to speak of. By mid October, if not earlier, players had simply given up and kids were getting arrested or having other disciplinary issues at an alarming rate. The tail end of Perles' tenure was a bit like that. Under Saban the team was getting better, suffered some heart breaking losses (3 late 4th qtr losses to PSU that i can recall) along w/ some disappointments, no doubt. But they beat some good teams (at #1, undefeated OSU, throttled ND two years in a row, etc). He recruited much better talent and when he left, the program was on the upswing. I'm convinced that had he stayed or had they made better hiring decisions after him, the program would be leaps and bounds better than it is.

Also, it's worth pointing out that it would be really hard for a mid or even upper 2nd tier B1G team to have a 20 point or greater drop off considering they play a lot of games against IU, Ill, PU, MN, Iowa, the directional schools, etc).

Last edited:
Saw in the GR press today that MSU players won't say the word Michigan at all. Pretty funny stuff..

Then how do they refer to their own school? Do they just call it "Staee"?

Last edited:
Here it is...

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2013/10/michigan_states_darqueze_denna_10.html

EAST LANSING -- Michigan State cornerback Darqueze Dennard was asked last month to compare the dislike in the Michigan and Notre Dame games and gave the nod to the Wolverines -- without naming their school.

"Nobody can beat...I'm not going to mention their name, the people down the road," Dennard said after coach Mark Dantonio had referred to Michigan as "U of M" hours earlier.

Asked if he would no longer say "Michigan," Dennard laughed and said, "I don't give them the recognition."

And Dennard is sticking to it. In a 10-minute press conference Tuesday in advance of the rivalry game between Michigan and Michigan State, the senior refrained from saying "Michigan" a single time.

"Yeah, that's a bad word, so I'm going to stay away from that," Dennard said. "I don't want to give them acknowledgment. It is what it is."

Dennard, a Jim Thorpe Award semifinalist, did praise Michigan receptions leader Jeremy Gallon as a "good receiver" and complimented Wolverines quarterback Devin Gardner when asked to compare him with predecessor Denard Robinson.

"I think the difference is Devin Gardner's a bigger guy, and he's more a pro-type quarterback as well," Dennard said. "He can run, and I'll say he throws a better ball than Denard."

"He reads more coverage. Basically he's a student of the game. I tip my hat off to him. You can tell watching film, being in the film room, he watches what's going on, he tries to read the defense, and he does a good job of that."

A Georgia native playing against Michigan for the final time, Dennard said he learned all about the rivalry watching as a freshman as his teammates exhibited "detailed focus" leading up to the game.

"Everybody knows that we don't like each other pretty much," Dennard said.

So does he black out the "michigan" in "michigan state" part of all of his sparty gear?

Maybe Fitz figured out they're not going to give him that many runs Saturday. Being a team player, he just wanted the Spartan D to focus on him as much as possible.

Remember when State fans made fun of Michigan for losing to App St, and then they lost to the team that lost to App St?

MIKEHART100_0919.JPG

This guy does!

Damn Champ, thanks for reminding me. YOU LOST TO APPY ST, HAHAHAHAHAHA

Ahhh, memories.

Then how do they refer to their own school? Do they just call it "Staee"?

LOL, that's pretty funny. I'm just going to say those guys went to LCC.

EDIT: Whats up with the Gulo Blue thing ? You lose a bet or something.

Last edited:
I would to, but we both know that is not happening.

I just have this horrible fear that Borges has some god damn power run gameplan for Saturday when we should be in shotgun for 85% of our offensive snaps.

I'll bet anything that Borges does not line up and try to run it down that defense's throat. I believe he and Hoke want to be a downhill running team and they stubbornly stuck with it too long, even though it wasn't working well enough even to have success versus Akron and UConn. They paid for it at Penn St., and I think they have finally seen the light and are going to do what's necessary to win, rather than running the type of offense they aspire to be but aren't. I'm expecting to see a lot of shotgun, read option, moving the pocket, Devin rolling out. It will all come down to how many times Devin turns it over.

I'll bet anything that Borges does not line up and try to run it down that defense's throat. I believe he and Hoke want to be a downhill running team and they stubbornly stuck with it too long, even though it wasn't working well enough even to have success versus Akron and UConn. They paid for it at Penn St., and I think they have finally seen the light and are going to do what's necessary to win, rather than running the type of offense they aspire to be but aren't. I'm expecting to see a lot of shotgun, read option, moving the pocket, Devin rolling out. It will all come down to how many times Devin turns it over.

I hope you are right. Fitz and the o-line are horrible for the run game. It's pretty obvious the reason Fitz had a 1000 yard rushing season was because of defenses keying on Denard. He needs the same help from DG.

fixed.
:tup:

As long as you're fixing it, can we get an Oxford comma? For all I know, the thing MSU will not say is "Michigan and Ohio* saying TTUN". I do love a good Oxford comma.

Back