Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

BYE Week Score Prediction Thread - Intriguing Other Games Week 8

I think given the risk of traumatic/chronic brain injury and mental problems, or a career-ending or career-impairing joint injury, leaving college early to get a $40MM payday is really the only smart thing to do as a college QB, unless you have some sort of ironclad insurance policy.

This has been the track record so long, you have to figure it's not going to change, and NFL scouts won't catch on and probably don't care. I mean, OSU has been churning out NFL-busts since Troy Smith. How many more examples do they need before they realize success at OSU is more due to overwhelming talent advantages at almost every position on the field relative to all of the other programs they play regularly, and not like due to superior coaching and experience to succeed at the pro level?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think given the risk of traumatic/chronic brain injury and mental problems, or a career-ending or career-impairing joint injury, leaving college early to get a $40MM payday is really the only smart thing to do as a college QB, unless you have some sort of ironclad insurance policy.

This has been the track record so long, you have to figure it's not going to change, and NFL scouts won't catch on and probably don't care. I mean, OSU has been churning out NFL-busts since Troy Smith. How many more examples do they need before they realize success at OSU is more due to overwhelming talent advantages at almost every position on the field relative to all of the other programs they play regularly, and not like due to superior coaching and experience to succeed at the pro level?

I agree with most of this. That said, I don't think any QB outside of Haskins and Fields were felt to be NFL caliber QBs. Haskins got hit by a dump truck and Fields is overwhelmed.

I agree with most of this. That said, I don't think any QB outside of Haskins and Fields were felt to be NFL caliber QBs. Haskins got hit by a dump truck and Fields is overwhelmed.

it's all a little pointless to discuss or care about. I mean, I get why college fans are happy seeing former players succeed in the pros, but I'd also rather see Michigan beat OSU regularly than brag about Tom Brady's or ... uh... Chad Henne's success in the pros.

Chad Henne has had a long career, and probably would've had a better one if he landed somewhere that wasn't total shit, earlier on

I don't expect nfl coaches to ever catch on. They know about it but they all have such inflated egos that they think they're going to be the one to change it. It's the same with their DBs. They pull in a boatload of 5 star DBs, let them rely on their natural talent for 2-3 years then take credit because they put up gaudy stats against mediocre talent and get drafted in the first round. Receivers, QBs, corners from OSU all tend to be busts.

Back