Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Condolences to the Family and Acknowledgement of the Incredible Legacy of RBG

I know not the place for it, but I can't believe nobody made a thread about how Trump and McConnell are trying to ram a SC nominee though with only 4 months left on the current term, and RBG's body still warm while Mitch insisted Obama's nominee would not get a hearing with over a year left on the term.

I'm looking forwards to hearing the excuses from the right-wing posters on this.

Last edited:
I know not the place for it, but I can't believe nobody made a thread about how Trump and McConnell are trying to ram a SC nominee though with only 4 months left on the current term, and RBG's body still warm while Mitch insisted Obama's nominee would not get a hearing with over a year left on the term.

I'm looking forwards to hearing the excuses from the right-wing posters on this.

I was actually talking with my mom about this . Even though I am a conservative I figure it will be pay back so to speak with what the Repub. did back then. She mentioned something about a law Trump could pass to get a Judge in without a vote .. I don't know of the law but I have 3 bucks riding on that it won't happen.

I wouldn?t necessarily say it?s not the place for it.

The OP wouldn?t have been the place for it, but I was certainly thinking of the ensuing shit storm, I knew it was going to be discussed, so I put this in the politics board because of that, rather than putting it in one of the other forums where I typically post in Memoriam threads.

Now if you?d rather start a new thread about the ensuing shit storm, you certainly can do that.

While this is the likely outcome, I think the slightly riskier but higher payoff play would be to NOT rush through RBG's replacement and instead use the appointment as voter turn out fuel. Simply float the idea that Roe v Wade could be overturned and you re energize the campaign which despite Trump's insistence, is not doing well.

So below is a video of John Barrasso, R-WY, on Meet the Press.

For any who don’t wanna watch it, I’ll paraphrase-he’s saying that in the history of the US in 29 election year Supreme Court replacements, when the president and the Senate majority were of the same party, every single time the president’s nominee was confirmed; when they were of different parties, there hasn’t been a confirmation since 1888.

He uses the word “precedent” and refers to it as “the Biden rule.”

Roy Blunt says ostensibly the same thing here, @ 17:35:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/8sG3PRn6NYo

So unapologetic PAU, I guess.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yh-vUtMcRUE

EDIT: I got the clips out of sequence. Not worth fixing, everybody gets it.

Last edited:
The GOP hypocrites are going to ram a far right justice through. McConnell won’t even think twice about it. I will be shocked if they don’t Sadly.

Anyone familiar with politics should know that politicians are hypocrites, and that’s what makes them successful politicians. Until we vote them out, and only accept people who actually believe what they say, we get what we deserve.

Otherwise, we are stuck with politicians who have “public and private positions” on issues.

McConnell and his ilk are no less interested in us than Pelosi and her cadre; power and influence is their currency and we ain’t got none of that, never.

Last edited:
It just seems like things are going to keep spinning out of control. Maybe Biden gets elected and packs the court, then the republicans have that to point to when they want to break with whatever norm comes next...before you know it we'll have AOC's administration followed by the Alex Jones administration.

It just seems like things are going to keep spinning out of control. Maybe Biden gets elected and packs the court, then the republicans have that to point to when they want to break with whatever norm comes next...before you know it we'll have AOC's administration followed by the Alex Jones administration.

Yeah, cause AOC is just the flip side of the coin from Alex Jones?

Anyways, current ages of still-living justices...

Stephen Breyer, 82 - L
Clarence Thomas, 72 - Hard R
Samuel Alito, 70 - Hard R
Sonia Sotomayor, 66 - L
John Roberts, 65 - R
Elena Kagan, 60 - L
Brett Kavanaugh, 55 - Hard R
Neil Gorsuch, 53 - R

Assuming the GOP rams someone through, or Trump gets elected, that's an easy 6-3 dominance of the court for Conservative-leaning, or really Arch-Conservative views.

Breyer could very well go in the next couple years, or retire.

Life expectancy for wealthy Americans that have good healthcare, not the shit healthcare, or no healthcare much of the population has to make due on is pushing 80. So just by that measure, it's unlikely the court will change much, unless the Democrats hold the White House for the next 8 years, and the Senate changes and stays more liberal/left for that time.

Or the next non-GOP president has to threaten to pack the court with more justices, like FDR did, but I just don't see the modern DNC allowing an actual leftist in, and there's no way Biden/Harris do that. They - the DNC - are effective gatekeepers to reform here.

the only decent justices on the bench are Sotomayor, Breyer, and Gorsuch. Roberts is inconsistent. The rest are disposable.

Stephen Breyer, 82 - L
Sonia Sotomayor, 66 - L
John Roberts, 65 - R
Elena Kagan, 60 - L
Neil Gorsuch, 53 - R

Assuming the GOP rams someone through, or Trump gets elected, that's an easy 6-3 dominance of the court for Conservative-leaning, or really Arch-Conservative views.

Life expectancy for wealthy Americans that have good healthcare, not the shit healthcare, or no healthcare much of the population has to make due on is pushing 80. So just by that measure, it's unlikely the court will change much, unless the Democrats hold the White House for the next 8 years, and the Senate changes and stays more liberal/left for that time.

Or the next non-GOP president has to threaten to pack the court with more justices, like FDR did, but I just don't see the modern DNC allowing an actual leftist in, and there's no way Biden/Harris do that. They - the DNC - are effective gatekeepers to reform here.
Brett Kavanaugh doesn't vote like a republican.

Man, I can't even imply AOC is the direction the leftest of the left want to head in and Alex Jones is the direction the rightest of the right want to head in without someone on the left getting upset?

We're doomed.

Man, I can't even imply AOC is the direction the leftest of the left want to head in and Alex Jones is the direction the rightest of the right want to head in without someone on the left getting upset?

We're doomed.

Well, I'M sorry. I didn't get that's where you were going when you mentioned them both like that.

I thought you were "BOTH SIDES!"-ing the two of them.

For the record, "the leftist of the left" excludes like >90% of elected Democrats, and also the DNC, NONE of whom want to head in AOC's direction.

Stephen Breyer, 82 - L
Sonia Sotomayor, 66 - L
John Roberts, 65 - R
Elena Kagan, 60 - L
Neil Gorsuch, 53 - R

No way.

AOC is a total Betty.

Back