Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Currently, who is the best player in the game?

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Yeah but don't yell to the OF, lol. And if Santiago gets the cutoff, its another IF probably Jhonny P. who's yelling home home .

If the throw, for example, is "cut three," the catcher will call that out, and the infielders will pick it up and call out to the outfielder.

The catcher will then call call out to the cut man either "cut" or "let it through - " the catcher even yells out to the cut man how to position himself - "left, left," or "right, right..." for example.

That all said...guys who play defense together (or ladies in softball) kind of have a sense of what each other are going to do and where each other are going to be, and there are kind of basic schemes for pretty much every scenario to follow regarding what cut man to throw to in what situation - Joe Morgan's book has a section where it's laid out pretty well.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Wrong again wolverine guy. Good try though, maybe next time.

Thumb guy knows what he's talking about, and so do I.

Good try though Rapp guy, maybe next time.

Not when I played baseball. I was a IF and always called left, left or right, right. So much easier than a catcher who is farther away and thus harder to hear.

"Positioned behind home plate, the catcher can see the whole field; therefore, he is in the best position to direct and lead the other players in a defensive play."

It's from the wikipedia entry for catcher; take it for what it's worth...I'm sure the web is full of references that would corroborate.

Magglio Ordonez is officially the worst player in the game. Did you guys see that dive attempt today lmfao! Total detriment to the team at the plate and in the field.

mhughes0021 said:
Magglio Ordonez is officially the worst player in the game. Did you guys see that dive attempt today lmfao! Total detriment to the team at the plate and in the field.

That and the hit before. Just awful.

The first baseman will stay in his position until the runner has passed by. Then the first baseman should start trailing the runner towards second base. The first baseman should try to time his arrival at second, so a quick throw from one of the cutoff men to second will meet him at the bag. This means the first baseman must be aware of where the ball is, not just following a certain number of feet behind the runner. The goal of the first baseman is to sneak in behind the runner without the runner or third base coach noticing.

The third baseman has the call on the play. If he sees the runner take a turn at second but not continue on to third, he can call "cut", the shortstop and second baseman need to be trained to quickly look to second when they get the cut call from the third baseman. You don't want the third baseman to yell, "cut - two", or a player that is unaware that the first baseman is there, will no know to get back quickly.

3B on this. I didn't copy the start of the article, wasn't important so its not all C.

Brandon INGE is the most valuable playah! He KEEPS his talent well hidden, especially at the plate, thus confusing the hordes of enemy baseball players. Just this last week we saw him launch an ICBM (inter-continental baseball mash) thus totally confusing the opponents.

Yes INGE= PSYCH OPS

Mitch, you said, the catcher is important to the pitcher, and the pitcher only, and we both argued it, and Tinsel provided proof that's not correct.

Notice I never said the catcher does everything, but I'm guessing you're just one of those guys who will never concede a point in an discussion no matter what, so I won't bother anymore.

But as a parting shot, the catcher is the captain of the defense, and you're just wrong...good day sir.

[color=#551A8B said:
Rich what? Richmond![/color]]Granderson's production this year is more reliant on Yankee Stadium than any other player in the last 7 years according to MLB.com

Meaning if he played somewhere else is numbers would look pedestrian.

His road stats are better than his home stats.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Not when I played baseball. I was a IF and always called left, left or right, right. So much easier than a catcher who is farther away and thus harder to hear.

This is right.

Whoever is covering the base they are throwing to lines up the cutoff man.

MI_Thumb said:
Mitch, you said, the catcher is important to the pitcher, and the pitcher only, and we both argued it, and Tinsel provided proof that's not correct.

Notice I never said the catcher does everything, but I'm guessing you're just one of those guys who will never concede a point in an discussion no matter what, so I won't bother anymore.

But as a parting shot, the catcher is the captain of the defense, and you're just wrong...good day sir.

Sorry thumb but this is what you said,

" No.

The Catcher calls everything once a ball is in play, he is the only one who is positioned to see the whole field.

He calls the throws, and the cutoffs from the outfields."

I like Tulu. When I do a franchise in MLB 11 the show. I always like to draft him.

MI_Thumb said:

On every team I played on, the catcher generally called what base to cut to...and when I started a team three years ago in an adult hardball league, everybody on the team had learned that the catcher generally calls the play in their backgrounds in baseball...

That said...yes it is generally speaking. The person covering third would line up the cut guy on a cut three (usually the third baseman, but there would be times that the shortstop would cover third on a cut three and line up the third baseman who would be the cut guy, like a ball hit into the left field corner with a runner on first)...

I only ever played catcher and first base, and the first baseman is only the cut guy on a cut 4 from right or right centerfield, and obviously the catcher lines any cut guy up on a cut 4...

So anyway, Thumb guy and I were generally right and a little wrong, and Mitch was generally wrong and a little right...

Generally speaking.

Back