Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Currently, who is the best player in the game?

I'm not sure I like the general wrong part, lol. I was just responding to thump who said the catcher does it all. He doesn't.

[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]][quote author=thumb board=tigertalk thread=835 post=21004 time=1314570832]Mitch, you said, the catcher is important to the pitcher, and the pitcher only, and we both argued it, and Tinsel provided proof that's not correct.

Notice I never said the catcher does everything, but I'm guessing you're just one of those guys who will never concede a point in an discussion no matter what, so I won't bother anymore.

But as a parting shot, the catcher is the captain of the defense, and you're just wrong...good day sir.

On every team I played on, the catcher generally called what base to cut to...and when I started a team three years ago in an adult hardball league, everybody on the team had learned that the catcher generally calls the play in their backgrounds in baseball...

That said...yes it is generally speaking. The person covering third would line up the cut guy on a cut three (usually the third baseman, but there would be times that the shortstop would cover third on a cut three and line up the third baseman who would be the cut guy, like a ball hit into the left field corner with a runner on first)...so there's one exception to the generality...

I only ever played catcher and first base, and the first baseman is only the cut guy on a cut 4 from right or right centerfield, and obviously the catcher lines any cut guy up on a cut 4...

So anyway, Thumb guy and I were generally right and a little wrong, and Mitch was generally wrong and a little right...

Generally speaking.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]I'm not sure I like the general wrong part, lol. I was just responding to thump who said the catcher does it all. He doesn't.

And I was responding to you, who said the catcher does nothing else but help the pitcher.

So as wrong and right go, you were much further off then me, though I don;t expect you to admit it.

Yeah bunts and maybe popups. I said that. If you think the C handles more than than in the IF and OF you're mistaken. I don't expect you to admit it, lol. See I can do it too.

That said...yes it is generally speaking. The person covering third would line up the cut guy on a cut three (usually the third baseman, but there would be times that the shortstop would cover third on a cut three and line up the third baseman who would be the cut guy, like a ball hit into the left field corner with a runner on first)...so there's one exception to the generality...

Actually even on this play...the catcher is going to either call "CUT!" or "LET IT THROUGH!" (notice how I shouted it out?) because only the catcher can see which runner they have the better shot at...

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]You arguing with yourself :)

Ha, ha...it's been a few years since I've actually played...kinda remembering as it comes back (and no, not like Gina Davis in A League of Their Own, thank you very much...)

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Yeah bunts and maybe popups. I said that. If you think the C handles more than than in the IF and OF you're mistaken. I don't expect you to admit it, lol. See I can do it too.

I don't understand what you posted.

What I said was what you quoted earlier, the catcher calls the throws and the cutoffs, he may not call every play, but the catcher is the leader of the defense.

I admit that at times someone else takes charge, that does not change the fact that the catcher is the captain on defense, a point that you disputed and started this whole mess.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
[quote="TinselWolverine":dazcwvv6]

Yes, on defense the catcher is generally the field leader...

Its more deeper than that. In the IF its the SS, in the OF its the CF. If they tell you get the fk outta my way that's the way it is. C is the catcher, he doesn't tell the other players where to position themselves. He's just the catcher. He's important for the pitcher. And the pitcher only. [/quote:dazcwvv6]

I think this remark has been established as a fallacy.

Except I'm wrong but your right. The SS is the captain in the IF and the CF is captain in the OF. The C is the captain around the plate.

[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]
[quote="Mitch":lnjb4lbm]You arguing with yourself :)

Ha, ha...it's been a few years since I've actually played...kinda remembering as it comes back (and no, not like Gina Davis in A League of Their Own, thank you very much...)[/quote:lnjb4lbm]

I thought this would have given this thread a little bit of levity...fellas chill...just my perspective...

It has. No ones mad, no name calling anyway. Well except the phycho part :)

Mitch, I just went out and bought a bottle of Chianti.

psychopath.jpg

Back