Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Damnit!

I just read that. I don't know much about him but a 7th seems like a steal. He is probably much better than Danny Shelton

I'm a big Jurrell Casey fan. He's a damned good tackle. He's the kind of player you want on the line... big fatty with a nasty attitude.

Honestly though, I like Danny Shelton. I think he's a great fit for what Patricia is doing here. Don't know a lot about Harmon, who we traded for today.

Just wondering when we trade for the rest of the aging Patriots and complete the set. Do we get a toaster or something when we have all the pieces?

Actually Harmon rates pretty darned well, and word is we got him by flipping 7th rounders with the Pats. I'll take that any day.

Actually Harmon rates pretty darned well, and word is we got him by flipping 7th rounders with the Pats. I'll take that any day.
The trade for harmon was a great trade. He has been great the last 3 years and is a really clutch defender. Shelton is a bigger body which we need for the scheme but casey is a stud that i wish we had. Also would have preferred Reader but they took the patriot instead.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The trade for harmon was a great trade. He has been great the last 3 years and is a really clutch defender. Shelton is a bigger body which we need for the scheme but casey is a stud that i wish we had. Also would have preferred Reader but they took the patriot instead.

Yes, I really wish we had sent a 7th for Casey. The dude is a run stuffing beast. He would have been the instant replacement for Snacks.

Yes, I really wish we had sent a 7th for Casey. The dude is a run stuffing beast. He would have been the instant replacement for Snacks.
Knowing it only cost a 7th it upsets me he isnt on our roster. I like shelton but it feels like familiarity over talent. We took the dude from the bears and shelton who are both nice rotational guys but not the disruptive talent of casey. But casey also isn't where he was 2 seasons ago. So we will see. Maybe quin will finally make enough of the right moves to make us halfway decent.

So, the Lions trade Diggs and then trade for Harmon.

PFF gave Harmon a 73.7 rating, Diggs 76.4. Pretty close except Diggs is 2 years younger and under contract for 2 more years.

Moving deck chairs on the Titanic

So, the Lions trade Diggs and then trade for Harmon.

PFF gave Harmon a 73.7 rating, Diggs 76.4. Pretty close except Diggs is 2 years younger and under contract for 2 more years.

Moving deck chairs on the Titanic
Getting rid of Diggs pretty much single handedly ruined the season last year. Harmon at the very least brings balance and leadership to the backend which wont matter once they lose slay. Because they wont resign him. So i hope they're working something out.

Getting rid of Diggs pretty much single handedly ruined the season last year. Harmon at the very least brings balance and leadership to the backend which wont matter once they lose slay. Because they wont resign him. So i hope they're working something out.

I don't see any way Slay isn't traded before the draft.

I don't see any way Slay isn't traded before the draft.

What?s sad is he wants to be here......but at this point it?s a business move. Resign him to a long term deal and you end up with an over the hill CB in a couple years. Let him walk you get nothing. The Lions painted themselves in this corner.....but moving him makes more sense then signing him long term.

I hate it, though. And we likely won?t get anything decent for him.

Casey?s cap hit is likely what prevented any other team from giving up more than a 7th. $11M this year, then $12M and $13M the following two.

But if you TRADE for him, which Denver did, you aren?t on the hook for any portion of the signing bonus, so cutting him carries no cap penalties.

What?s sad is he wants to be here......but at this point it?s a business move. Resign him to a long term deal and you end up with an over the hill CB in a couple years. Let him walk you get nothing. The Lions painted themselves in this corner.....but moving him makes more sense then signing him long term.

I hate it, though. And we likely won?t get anything decent for him.

Casey?s cap hit is likely what prevented any other team from giving up more than a 7th. $11M this year, then $12M and $13M the following two.

But if you TRADE for him, which Denver did, you aren?t on the hook for any portion of the signing bonus, so cutting him carries no cap penalties.

I think slay has an entire contract worth of years left in him. Easily 4 years. I think its the culture he brings. Great guy...just not a Patricia guy. When Trae Waynes is signing for like 12 mil a year...slay definitely deserves 14-16. I just dont think Quin will pay it. I think he gets trade din the next couple days....im hoping its a sign and trade so we can get more value out of him. But thats just wishful thinking....at most i think we get a 3rd rd pick for him if hes dealt with his current term left on contract.

I think slay has an entire contract worth of years left in him. Easily 4 years. I think its the culture he brings. Great guy...just not a Patricia guy. When Trae Waynes is signing for like 12 mil a year...slay definitely deserves 14-16. I just dont think Quin will pay it. I think he gets trade din the next couple days....im hoping its a sign and trade so we can get more value out of him. But thats just wishful thinking....at most i think we get a 3rd rd pick for him if hes dealt with his current term left on contract.

Which would not be worth trading imo. They haven?t made an aggressive play for a CB so I?m really starting to think they want the kid from OSU. However having a rookie corner as your cb1 and not much else behind him would spell disaster.

Which would not be worth trading imo. They haven?t made an aggressive play for a CB so I?m really starting to think they want the kid from OSU. However having a rookie corner as your cb1 and not much else behind him would spell disaster.

Trade Slay, Sign Logan Ryan and draft Okudah...i think were in a good spot. But 3 of those things hasnt happend yet lmao.

from ESPN article

LOSERS OF FREE AGENCY

Miami Dolphins and Detroit Lions
How many times do we have to say it? You. Can't. Replicate. The. Patriots. Both the Dolphins and Lions doubled down on that fantasy this week, with dispiriting results.

Meanwhile, the Lions -- led by two former Patriots staffers in general manager Bob Quinn and coach Matt Patricia -- guaranteed linebacker Jamie Collins $18 million, while also agreeing to terms with defensive tackle Danny Shelton and trading for defensive back Duron Harmon.

This isn't so much a comment on the players themselves, but on the cockeyed and still unproven idea that there is some kind of magic sauce that comes with someone who has been in the Patriots' program. Why can't we just acknowledge that Patriots coach Bill Belichick has built a unique set of circumstances that routinely maximizes players in ways that aren't likely to be replicated elsewhere? As a matter of team-building, giving an edge to people with a Patriots connection probably could cloud out more qualified candidates. Just stop it!

Slay was not pro bowl worthy last season. He's good but no stud. At least on this team.

Slay was not pro bowl worthy last season. He's good but no stud. At least on this team.

I think he's a very good corner, but he wants to be paid like he's the best in the league, and he's not.

Didn't want to see him traded, especially with no #1 corner on the roster, but I would rather we moved him now for picks, than re-signed him at the numbers he thought he was worth.

This is what I read:

Cornerback Darius Slay got what he wanted.

Slay wanted a trade away from the Lions and there are multiple reports on Thursday morning that Detroit has finalized a deal that will send him to the Eagles.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/19/eagles-finalize-trade-extension-for-darius-slay/

Maybe because he knew he wouldn't get that much here. Plus, who in their right mind wants to be here? He might have said the right things but he's is happy as a clam and not just because he got the money.

I think the problem with the schemes has been the pass rush, I don't see how Shelton helps with that.

Back