Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Darius Slay named to 3rd-straight Pro Bowl with Golladay + Stafford Now Slay traded

Great...now that Slay let everyone know what a douchebag that his ex-HC Matty Fatty is, prospective picks in the NFL draft might be hoping that the Lions don't call their name, and FAs might be more reluctant to sign...I sure as hell would be hoping not or looking elsewhere, not to mention that the franchise rarely plays in the postseason, much less wins games.

Last edited:
Great...now that Slay let everyone know what a douchebag that his ex-HC Matty Fatty is, prospective picks in the NFL draft might be hoping that the Lions don't call their name, and FAs might be more reluctant to sign...I sure as hell would be hoing and looking elsewhere, not to mention that the franchise rarely plays in the postseason, much less wins games.

they don't seem to be having any trouble signing a bunch of C- free agents.

Patricia wants to instill discipline even on social media by his players, yet the fatass can't shed 50+ lbs in the offseason, and demonstrate any self-discipline himself.

He reminds me of the cartoon character and Popeye nemesis Bluto, always dressed in black, fat, and bearded, with a prepubescent voice.

Last edited:
Here is what bothers me, from the ESPN article about it...

Slay said when they finally addressed the incident over a year later, Patricia told him he didn't remember saying that, but Slay did say Patricia apologized.

But the first impression of Patricia stuck with Slay.

After the 2018 season, Patricia said publicly about his first season that he aimed to look at what he needed to do to "be a better head coach, better leader of this team, better ways to improve myself so that we can all push forward and give ourselves a better chance to win."

Slay said the relationship with Patricia in 2019 "was a way better year than last year."

... so Slay admits Patricia apologized, admit the next year was way better. Patricia addressed this to the media in saying he needed to be a better coach and leader.

In a country where everyone gets a second chance... not coaches. Athletes sure. But never coaches. Donte Stallworth drove drunk and killed a man in a crosswalk who was trying to catch his bus to a blue collar job, and got 30 days in jail, served like 18 of them, and was back in the NFL in under a month. He got a second chance, but never a coach.

Slay even admits that things were cordial, and it might have been mended in time.... but hey, let's go cry to the media about it so they can start digging up other players to corroborate the story.

It gnaws at me. He's crying about being disrespected by a man who admitted his mistakes and apologized ON a radio interview where he is disrespecting the man who apologized.

I mean really? Don't talk about respect if you clearly have no damned idea what it is. And if you do, walk the walk, don't just talk the talk.

In a country where everyone gets a second chance... not coaches. Athletes sure. But never coaches. Donte Stallworth drove drunk and killed a man in a crosswalk who was trying to catch his bus to a blue collar job, and got 30 days in jail, served like 18 of them, and was back in the NFL in under a month. He got a second chance, but never a coach.

to be fair, the guy was not in a crosswalk...he was crossing a busy 6 lane divided causeway when he was hit by Stallworth. Stallworth wouldn't have been convicted of anything if he wasn't drunk (but he was)

Like I posted earlier, Philly fans and the media sports pundits are far less tolerant and forgiving than Detroit's have been. Something that highly paid CB Slay will learn pretty quickly if he doesn't perform up to snuff or continues to take off-field during plays due to owies.

Not forgiving him for dissing his ex-HC publicly, thats something that should have been kept in-clubhouse or just among his NFL peers

to be fair, the guy was not in a crosswalk...he was crossing a busy 6 lane divided causeway when he was hit by Stallworth. Stallworth wouldn't have been convicted of anything if he wasn't drunk (but he was)

Now that you say that, you're right, I do remember reading it was a busy causeway. However, he would have been convicted anyway, because he said he "flashed his lights at him to warn him".

Um, that's not how that works. The brakes are what you use. No jury would have said "Well, he did flash his lights, so....".

Not in a case where a million hit a poor guy.

They didn't want to pay him 16 million a year is what it boils down too. Got some good picks and Trufant is a nice CB. Now they can add another in the draft to pair with Trufant, Coleman, and AO

Now that you say that, you're right, I do remember reading it was a busy causeway. However, he would have been convicted anyway, because he said he "flashed his lights at him to warn him".

Um, that's not how that works. The brakes are what you use. No jury would have said "Well, he did flash his lights, so....".

Not in a case where a million hit a poor guy.

I always thought he got a light sentence because he was drunk. "Oh he had an impairment so it wasn't his fault.." or some shit like that. People all over this country who hurt or kill while drunk that don't get punished. Up until recently Arizona had no laws against texting or talking while driving. So if they got in an accident there's nothing you could do to the driver.

The reason is "He/she didn't mean to do it.."

I'm sorry to see Slay leave but it's been obvious for a while now that things weren't going to work out here for him. Slay sounds like a spoiled little kid with some of the things he's saying now after the trade but I think management has acted the same way. I don't blame Slay for wanting to leave and I don't blame management for trading him but one thing I am growing very tired of reading about is management's fixation on "culture" guys. Except for Stafford and the Mule this is now Quinn's team so if the "culture" guys aren't in the room that's on Quinn.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2020...-trade-matt-patricia-comments-podcast-opinion
Pride Of Detroit Lions Blog Podcast: Reacting to Darius Slay trade, Matt Patricia fallout. 45 minutes.
Our PODcast reacts to the big Darius Slay trade and the drama between him and Matt Patricia.

Thursday was a wild one for Detroit Lions fans. After a late-night signing of Desmond Trufant on Wednesday night, it became clear Darius Slay?s time was quickly running short in Detroit. By Thursday morning, he was gone to Philadelphia.

And while fans debated whether the Lions had made the right choice or not, this story was just truly beginning. As I predicted hours before the trade happened, Slay went to the media and had some harsh things to say about head coach Matt Patricia.

First, on local AM radio station WJR, Slay said he had no respect for Patricia as a person. Hours later, Slay talked to the local beat reporters and told a troubling story about the Lions head coach humiliating him in a team meeting?something Slay has clearly not gotten over.

So what can we make of everything that transpired in that 24-hour window? Who?s right? Who?s wrong? Where does that leave the Lions? Where does that leave Matt Patricia?

We tackle it all on our THIRD emergency PODcast of the week.

https://www.detroitlionspodcast.com.../detroit-lions-podcast-free-agency-and-draft/
Detroit Lions Podcast Episode 259 ? 2020 Detroit Lions Free Agency and Draft. 71 minutes.

In this episode of The Detroit Lions Podcast, Chris is joined by Case and Jeff ?The Riz? Risdon to break down the latest Detroit Lions Free Agency moves. We weigh in on Darius Slay?s recent comments, and talk about a shift to 4-3 defense while taking calls.

Detroit Lions Podcast Gets Slayed By Darius Slay.
Literally 2 hours after our last show in which we praised Darius Slay?s maturity, he proved us wrong. Slay opened up about a situation early in his relationship with Coach Patricia in which Coach used some profanity. Slay took it very personally, when it was likely meant differently. After that, Slay harbored his anger for at least two years before letting loose on the radio and taking a few shots at Coach Patricia on the way out the door. Effectively, he set the place on fire as he left. Obviously nothing good could come of Slay?s comments, but here we are.

The Detroit Lions Podcast also discusses Free Agency signings, the possibility of moving to a 4-3 defense, and take your calls!

Back