Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Darnold to Carolina

detroit1811

Panthers acquired QB Sam Darnold from the Panthers in exchange for three draft picks.
The Panthers are sending a 2021 sixth-rounder New York's way before getting more serious in 2022, where they will be shipping off their second- and fourth-rounders. It's not much of a haul ? future picks are inherently less valuable ? but it's a lot better than nothing, with the second-rounder at least representing real draft capital. As part of the deal, the Panthers are exercising Darnold's (guaranteed for injury only) fifth-year team option for 2022. Darnold is an uninspired Teddy Bridgewater back-up plan after the Panthers put all their eggs in the Deshaun Watson basket, but they can convince themselves 24-year-old (in June) Darnold still has untapped upside. Picking eighth later this month, the move doesn't necessarily take the Panthers out of the running for a rookie signal caller, though they already know the top three quarterbacks will come off the board in the top three picks. Darnold arrives to challenge or usurp Bridgewater after a horrendous 2020 where he had more picks than passing scores. It's tough to properly evaluate Darnold considering the lack of offensive talent and coaching acumen around him in New York, but most players with a bright future would have already displayed some semblance of the ability to create instant offense by now. That being said, Panthers OC Joe Brady is on the short list of people you would want to try to turn Darnold around. Darnold should be considered the favorite to start in September.

I don?t think it would have a huge affect on a trade down. This more so eliminates the possibility of the Panthers trading UP for a QB. If Lance or Fields are sitting there at #8, Darnold in no way precludes them from taking one of them. If Denver, NE, Washington, or anyone else wants one of those guys Detroit is still the best spot to trade up for them if they are there,

Carolina used 5th year option for 2022 for Darnold for 18 mil..he is their qb

They can still take a QB if they like him. Say that Lance is there when they pick. He is a bit of a project. Take Lance, let Darnold play for a year and if Lance progresses, Darnold is good, flip Darnold for what you spent to get him.

They can still take a QB if they like him. Say that Lance is there when they pick. He is a bit of a project. Take Lance, let Darnold play for a year and if Lance progresses, Darnold is good, flip Darnold for what you spent to get him.

100%. Also LKP, the option is guaranteed for injury only. All this does is ensures he is under team control for two years if they want him to be. 18mil for a starting QB is pennies nowadays.

I do think we will be in a good spot for teams wanting to trade up. Carolina will pick a qb if there's still one available at 8. I think Atlanta at 4 is another spot teams may look to move up to. So if the mac Jones rumors to sf are true you'd have 1 qb left when we pick.

Cin and mia I think they make a selection.

Imagine if denver gave us their 2nd rd pick to move up 3 spots? I'd do it.

Lastly, don't put it past Dorsey to persuade holmes into going qb.

Last edited:
I do think we will be in a good spot for teams wanting to trade up. Carolina will pick a qb if there's still one available at 8. I think Atlanta at 4 is another spot teams may look to move up to. So if the mac Jones rumors to sf are true you'd have 1 qb left when we pick.

Cin and mia I think they make a selection.

Imagine if denver gave us their 2nd rd pick to move up 3 spots? I'd do it.

Lastly, don't put it past Dorsey to persuade holmes into going qb.

I wouldn?t trade back 3 spots just for an additional 2nd. But I?m also wanting us to go get Fields!

I wouldn?t trade back 3 spots just for an additional 2nd. But I?m also wanting us to go get Fields!

Fields. No thanks. Guy has Johnny Manziel written all over him. Or Terell Pryor. Same with Lance.

100%. Also LKP, the option is guaranteed for injury only. All this does is ensures he is under team control for two years if they want him to be. 18mil for a starting QB is pennies nowadays.

Let me correct myself, apparently starting with Darnolds class they are fully guaranteed salaries now. Was a change last year in the new CBA. All that salary could still come off the books in a trade, but if not they are stuck with him through 2022. Still don?t think it takes Lance or Fields off the board who are both project QBs.

Panthers acquired QB Sam Darnold from the Panthers in exchange for three draft picks ...

Knowing that the owner of the Panthers wants a better QB than even Darnold, he also wanted a better QB than Bridgewater, and this is an incremental step. When Watson was eliminated from consideration, Darnold became an option. Darnold, IMO, barring injury, will start, and I think that the Panthers will trade Bridgewater. Or even release him.

With McCaffery returning, this will help. I would not be surprised to see the Panthers draft Pitts with #8 if available, now with Darnold on the team.

Bridgewater is making $20,000,000 in 2022, and he might be released, unless he can be traded.

David Tepper has more money than he knows what to do with. Darnold is their present QB.

Last edited:
I'd move back to 10 for an extra 2nd. All day every day. If you're going to rebuild do it right. And no Fields.

Bridgewater is making $20,000,000 in 2022, and he might be released, unless he can be traded.

David Tepper has more money than he knows what to do with. Darnold is their present QB.

He could be a kazillionaire but 20m dead cap isn't pretty.

He could be a kazillionaire but 20m dead cap isn't pretty.

Net worth of 11,000,000,000 as of 2017.

If he waits a year, that?s reduced to $5,000,000 if cut. I expect a trade. Still $10,000,000 in dead cap money this year, $5,000,000 next.

Net worth of 11,000,000,000 as of 2017.

If he waits a year, that?s reduced to $5,000,000 if cut. I expect a trade. Still $10,000,000 in dead cap money this year, $5,000,000 next.

Dead cap is 20m for this season. Why would any trade for him knowing Carolina has two high priced (dead cap) QB's? Just wait it out. Offer 15m cash plus Bridgewater.

With all that being said why would anyone trade for Darnold?

When your starting QB is Teddy Bridgewater?

Lol. But still. 3 picks for Darnold. I would have waited until the Jets have drafted their guy and offered a 5th. Or better yet should have signed Chase Daniels.

Lol. But still. 3 picks for Darnold. I would have waited until the Jets have drafted their guy and offered a 5th. Or better yet should have signed Chase Daniels.

Its a 2 and a 4 next year. And like a 6th this year? Its really not much for someone talent wise seen to be as an equal to Zach Wilson. Jets gave him away so they could get a rookie QB contract. Something the Lions should learn one of these years!

Its a 2 and a 4 next year. And like a 6th this year? Its really not much for someone talent wise seen to be as an equal to Zach Wilson. Jets gave him away so they could get a rookie QB contract. Something the Lions should learn one of these years!

Goff's cap hit is now in line with Baker Mayfield on a rookie contract though. Next year not so much but he might be gone

New coach wants his guy. And Darnold hasn't been good. Stafford was good. That is the difference there

These teams just want to find a good QB. Panthers think Darnold has potential. And Darnold is on a rookie deal but they are paying Bridgewater

Back