Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Do we draft a QB in the early rounds?

kdp1980

I say no, build this defense first and add a few receivers in fa and mid rounds. If we get a first round pick for Stafford, I want a stud middle linebacker (Parsons)and a pass rusher with our first picks of the draft. I'm more worried about building this defense than adding a potential elite qb. It's going to be an interesting off-season, that's for sure.

Last edited:
I say no as well. If one of the top 4 is there at #7 (and it's the last of the 4) I would look to trade back. I'm sure they could get good return if Fields, Wilson, or Lance is the last one left at #7, and there should be plenty of teams willing to move up.

I would target Mac Jones late in the 1st or early 2nd. I wouldn't do anything crazy, like trade up to get him, but if he falls to a place you are comfortable, grab him.

The goal of this draft should be to improve the talent level everywhere (since there is very little talent on the team) and if possible, add another first for the 2022 draft.

I say no as well. If one of the top 4 is there at #7 (and it's the last of the 4) I would look to trade back. I'm sure they could get good return if Fields, Wilson, or Lance is the last one left at #7, and there should be plenty of teams willing to move up.

I would target Mac Jones late in the 1st or early 2nd. I wouldn't do anything crazy, like trade up to get him, but if he falls to a place you are comfortable, grab him.

The goal of this draft should be to improve the talent level everywhere (since there is very little talent on the team) and if possible, add another first for the 2022 draft.

I dont think Mac Jones gets passed 15. too many QB needy teams that are all going to get the same scouting info come draft day...thats he Joe Burrough 2.0. PIT WFT IND...will all be in play.

I don't understand the push for Mac Jones. He was 3rd string behind Tua and Hurts. Both of those guys have proven that they are not good NFL QBs. Give me Wilson or Lance if we take a 1st round QB.

I don't understand the push for Mac Jones. He was 3rd string behind Tua and Hurts. Both of those guys have proven that they are not good NFL QBs. Give me Wilson or Lance if we take a 1st round QB.

I honestly don't know a ton about Mac Jones either, but Jalen Hurts exceeded expectations coming in as a rookie. The jury is far from out on him and honestly if I were the Eagles and he was my 2021 starter, I wouldn't be mad. Tua did look pretty crappy, but so did Josh Allen in year 1. He was coming off a major injury and was playing his first live game action in a long time. Whatever happened to giving guys time to develop? Hell look how bad Jared Goff looked in year one, he was horrendous. Not saying he is a stud or anything, but he put together a couple solid years after that. I know he is barely a qualified NFL starter with his play the last couple years, but I'm just saying you can't judge a QB that fast. Look at RG3, he was looked at as a future HOF and the next great QB after his rookie year.

I can’t envision Jones working in DET because the OL is like the Johnstown Dam.

Also to go back to the original topic, talking about it is fun, but we are way too early in the process. I will trust Holmes and Dorsey's evaluation over my own. If they deem one of those guys is a guy to build this franchise around then you go get them. If they think they don't have what it takes, then you either stand pat at 7 and take the best guy or trade down.

I think the thought process of build the defense first and surround a QB with weapons before you get one is the wrong train of thought. You ALWAYS get the QB if you feel like he is the franchise guy because you can't guarantee the next time you will get that chance. The QB is far and away the easiest way to go from a terrible team to contender.

I honestly don't know a ton about Mac Jones either, but Jalen Hurts exceeded expectations coming in as a rookie. The jury is far from out on him and honestly if I were the Eagles and he was my 2021 starter, I wouldn't be mad. Tua did look pretty crappy, but so did Josh Allen in year 1. He was coming off a major injury and was playing his first live game action in a long time. Whatever happened to giving guys time to develop? Hell look how bad Jared Goff looked in year one, he was horrendous. Not saying he is a stud or anything, but he put together a couple solid years after that. I know he is barely a qualified NFL starter with his play the last couple years, but I'm just saying you can't judge a QB that fast. Look at RG3, he was looked at as a future HOF and the next great QB after his rookie year.

You are right that I'm judging them quickly. But I don't think Mac Jones is the answer. He has the most talented team around him, possibly ever. He throws to wide open receivers with all day to throw.

I would prefer QB that carried his team. One that had to deal with pressure.

I may be proven wrong but I'm out on Mac Jones.

Also to go back to the original topic, talking about it is fun, but we are way too early in the process. I will trust Holmes and Dorsey's evaluation over my own. If they deem one of those guys is a guy to build this franchise around then you go get them. If they think they don't have what it takes, then you either stand pat at 7 and take the best guy or trade down.

I think the thought process of build the defense first and surround a QB with weapons before you get one is the wrong train of thought. You ALWAYS get the QB if you feel like he is the franchise guy because you can't guarantee the next time you will get that chance. The QB is far and away the easiest way to go from a terrible team to contender.

Agreed. Need to get a QB of Stafford caliber first and foremost. Lions messed up and forced Stafford to demand a trade. Start a new era and you better nail that QB or it will be like 0-16 bad for 5 years at least. You can swap 10-12 starters in an offseason but of course its a weird offseason with a lower cap now too. Lions can make 14 million in room with Stafford trade, another 28 million from cuts. They will have the cap space to build

We need good and HEALTHY FREE AGENTS and DRAFT PICKS. Ok 1-2 guys get hurt but can't be all the big names again. Like Trufant and Vaitai and Okudah all hurt. Flowers hurt. KG hurt. Was almost entire FA class from 2020 got hurt, Shelton, Williams and Collins dealt with stuff too. It's too damn much, Lions can't afford big injuries like that but given rebuild 2021 sucks regardless most likely.

Agreed. Need to get a QB of Stafford caliber first and foremost. Lions messed up and forced Stafford to demand a trade. Start a new era and you better nail that QB or it will be like 0-16 bad for 5 years at least. You can swap 10-12 starters in an offseason but of course its a weird offseason with a lower cap now too. Lions can make 14 million in room with Stafford trade, another 28 million from cuts. They will have the cap space to build

We need good and HEALTHY FREE AGENTS and DRAFT PICKS. Ok 1-2 guys get hurt but can't be all the big names again. Like Trufant and Vaitai and Okudah all hurt. Flowers hurt. KG hurt. Was almost entire FA class from 2020 got hurt, Shelton, Williams and Collins dealt with stuff too. It's too damn much, Lions can't afford big injuries like that but given rebuild 2021 sucks regardless most likely.

If we took a QB this year and he wound up completely falling on his face, you can recover pretty quickly. The trick is the coach needs to know when to pull the plug. Look what the Cardinals did with Rosen. They realized he wasn't the answer and Kyler Murray was. There is so much parody in the NFL the talent gap between teams is not that immense outside of the top 3-4 teams and bottoms 3-4 teams. Good coaching and a little luck is what separates a lot of those teams. If we take a QB and he busts we can still compete in a couple years if we nail the other picks. I'm not talking about for championships, I'm talking about wild card spots.

If we wanna compete for championships we need to find a quarterback. Gone are the days where a good run game and defense will win you a championship.

If we took a QB this year and he wound up completely falling on his face, you can recover pretty quickly. The trick is the coach needs to know when to pull the plug. Look what the Cardinals did with Rosen. They realized he wasn't the answer and Kyler Murray was. There is so much parody in the NFL the talent gap between teams is not that immense outside of the top 3-4 teams and bottoms 3-4 teams. Good coaching and a little luck is what separates a lot of those teams. If we take a QB and he busts we can still compete in a couple years if we nail the other picks. I'm not talking about for championships, I'm talking about wild card spots.

If we wanna compete for championships we need to find a quarterback. Gone are the days where a good run game and defense will win you a championship.

You need all those things to win a championship. Lions are last in the league in them so they need to improve to at least average in both. Chiefs 11th in defense, average protection, GREAT WEAPONS, average run game, 10th in turnovers forced defense. Bucs good defense (8th PPG allowed), poor rushing at 94 YPG, good protection, GREAT WEAPONS, 6th in turnovers forced. Bucs had a team then added Brady who limits the turnovers unlike Winston and makes enough plays at 43 with really good weapons to help him and everything else to help him

And that would suck using two 1st round picks to take two QBS. Miss out on the building of the team big time. So it would be 3 years at least (Cards haven't made playoffs). Been five years of no playoffs for Cardinals. Also Josh Rosen was a giant mistake and Klingsbury loved and knew Murray really well. Probably 4 or 5 years at best. And you would need to nail the other picks and FA. Even more so for Lions who are bottom of barrel run game and defense. And also need 3 WRS now and long term power back

Last edited:

I don't understand the hatred for Tua. He was a rookie and did fine. Everyone expects rookies to be great from the start these days. It doesn't always work that way. He wasn't terrible.

I don't understand the hatred for Tua. He was a rookie and did fine. Everyone expects rookies to be great from the start these days. It doesn't always work that way. He wasn't terrible.

Tua has a way worse arm than expected, slower than expected and was really hindered for plays. He was protected, only 11% under pressure. Had some good games but finished poorly and Dolphins missed playoffs because of his lack of play late

What about Denver - Peyton and his last year? It was only 5 seasons ago. He was terrible in his 9 starts (He was injured a few games). The defense was dominate.

Tua has a way worse arm than expected, slower than expected and was really hindered for plays. He was protected, only 11% under pressure. Had some good games but finished poorly and Dolphins missed playoffs because of his lack of play late

He's a rookie and his arm might be bad, hell Brees arm is bad right now. He can't go deep anymore. Yet his reg. season was still good. Just have to work with Tua a bit, get a better team around. Some good route running WR's. Slant passes. Better running game. Certainly no stud most likely drafted way too high .

What about Denver - Peyton and his last year? It was only 5 seasons ago. He was terrible in his 9 starts (He was injured a few games). The defense was dominate.

5 years is an eternity ago. You really think that could could beat the Chiefs this year, let alone Buffalo, Baltimore, Green Bay, or Tampa. I would take each one of those teams against them. League has changed a lot in 5 years.

5 years is an eternity ago. You really think that could could beat the Chiefs this year, let alone Buffalo, Baltimore, Green Bay, or Tampa. I would take each one of those teams against them. League has changed a lot in 5 years.

If Denver defense dominated them, they could beat any of those teams. Depends on the execution.

Bucs are 8th in defense and have STUD Weapons too. Allows 43 year old QB to win even with 3 picks in a game.

Defense is still a huge compliment needed

Rodgers only ever won with 2nd ranked defense (2010). NFC Champ loser or div loser otherwise. And missed playoffs 2017/2018

If Denver defense dominated them, they could beat any of those teams. Depends on the execution.

Bucs are 8th in defense and have STUD Weapons too. Allows 43 year old QB to win even with 3 picks in a game.

Defense is still a huge compliment needed

Rodgers only ever won with 2nd ranked defense (2010). NFC Champ loser or div loser otherwise. And missed playoffs 2017/2018

Never said you don?t need a defense. I said you are not going to win a championship with just a good rushing game and defense. You need to have that quarterback in today?s NFL. It doesn?t have to be Mahomes, but you at least need a very good one.

If Denver?s defense player the perfect game, sure but you can say that about anyone. If you put those teams up against Denver 10 times the odds would favor any of those other teams IMO.

Never said you don?t need a defense. I said you are not going to win a championship with just a good rushing game and defense. You need to have that quarterback in today?s NFL. It doesn?t have to be Mahomes, but you at least need a very good one.

If Denver?s defense player the perfect game, sure but you can say that about anyone. If you put those teams up against Denver 10 times the odds would favor any of those other teams IMO.

Doesn't very good mean Mahomes? What's better than very good. I think it goes good, great, very good. Or it should.

Back