Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Do we draft a QB in the early rounds?

I think the days off full blown, 3-4 year rebuilds are over. Too many ways to circumvent the cap and good players hit the market every year. Rookies are having bigger and bigger impacts than ever before....even mid to late rounders.

Not saying we'll be good in 2021....but it's not unrealistic to have a winning record by 2022 if the next two drafts/free agency periods go well.

I genuinely think our defense will be better next year JUST because of scheme. Add in a decent edge rusher and a LB that can have even a small impact and we'd be better just from that.

Agree scheme change alone if we kept alot of the same players, could be average, not historically bad, with the right health of course (Flowers and number 1 CB and 1st round rookie need to be healthier)

Flowers, Hand, Walker, Okudah, AO, maybe Collins stay (dead cap and Collins was solid and we have two many other holes). Replace the rest but there are cases to be made for a few players depending on their cap hit. Like Shelton. Surrounded by a little more at LB and UT and Flowers back, Shelton could do better than he did. Shelton started good then faded then got hurt. Trufant I want gone but was it was a super injured year for him. Guy could put together a solid 2021 but he is overpriced on the 2 year backloaded deal so Trufant is a cut. Coleman, do you keep him, could save 6 million in space by cutting him. Is Shelton and Coleman or Nick Williams willing to take pay cuts for the same amount of the cap savings when cut. Decisions to be made

Holmes said defense wasn't as decimated of talent as you think

I think the days off full blown, 3-4 year rebuilds are over. Too many ways to circumvent the cap and good players hit the market every year. Rookies are having bigger and bigger impacts than ever before....even mid to late rounders.

Not saying we'll be good in 2021....but it's not unrealistic to have a winning record by 2022 if the next two drafts/free agency periods go well.

I genuinely think our defense will be better next year JUST because of scheme. Add in a decent edge rusher and a LB that can have even a small impact and we'd be better just from that.

The only way we compete in 2022 is if we take a quarterback this year and he plays well in year two. Outside of that I don?t think it can happen. We can build a good defense in two offseasons but not a defense that can carry a mediocre quarterback.

2 defensive picks, 1 high priced FA, resigning a couple of our own FAs and LKPs favorite...health....and this defense can be fixed.

Flowers Shelton Griffen(FA)
Okwara(FA) Collins Draft(mid 1st from Stafford trade) Reddick(FA)
Okudah Draft(2nd) Walker Amani

The truth i we never saw Flowersm Griffen and Okwara on the field together.

Last edited:
The only way we compete in 2022 is if we take a quarterback this year and he plays well in year two. Outside of that I don?t think it can happen. We can build a good defense in two offseasons but not a defense that can carry a mediocre quarterback.

I should have mentioned that. Yes, the QB position cannot be crap. You have to have an elite defense and at least a solid run game to overcome bad QB play (I'm lookin at you, Shaun King).

I think the worst thing we could do is take Lance. I watched some of the highlight tapes on him. A few things I noticed.

1. He NEVER made a 2nd read in any of his highlights. You can't do that in the NFL, obviously. I don't care what kind of arm he has....if he can't read defenses he's fucked. Lamar Jackson is MILES ahead of this kid in terms of reading coverage.....and even he struggled with it at the end of the year.

2. He doesn't cover the ball or protect himself when he runs. Not that you can't teach that, but a few times he even tried to run over LB's....he tries that in the NFL and he and Golladay can hold hands on their bikes from the sideline.

3. A lot of WIDE open WR in those highlights.

I see a lot of similarities between Lance and Vince Young. That's not a good thing.

are the days of a 64 year re-build over?

This team has not been bad for 64 years straight..thst is full blown hater talk

A playoff team is not a rebuild team. There have been many of them

Anyway, who the fuck cares. New era. Stop with your whining

I'm not whining...just stating facts.

The Lions are the worst organization in the entire NFL over the past 6 decades. That is a fact.

The team, no. The organization, absolutely.

WCF had his issues, loyalty to shit GMs. Marth and Sheila don't. And all of them have been spending the cap space, building facilities, new stadium, allowing the GMs/coaches to do the work without meddling. It is a GOOD OWNER situation now with all that plus Sheila fires people when we don't win. And she even changed how they did the GM/HC hiring process. So let's not pretend like everything is the same like always.

Ok pumpkin?

WCF had his issues, loyalty to shit GMs. Marth and Sheila don't. And all of them have been spending the cap space, building facilities, new stadium, allowing the GMs/coaches to do the work without meddling. It is a GOOD OWNER situation now with all that plus Sheila fires people when we don't win. And she even changed how they did the GM/HC hiring process. So let's not pretend like everything is the same like always.

Ok pumpkin?

Clearly you can appreciate the skepticism. It’s well-earned, after all. And Sheila has to prove that she’s different than her descendants. And can, once and for all, distinguish the culture of the Detroit Lions from that of the Ford Motor Company. They are not compatible.

Any owner can fire coaches and GMs for poor performance. Can this owner select a GM and a coach that can build and sustain a successful team? We don’t know. So, I remain skeptical, as is my prerogative as a fan who as been loyal to this team for 57 years.

Last edited:
Every thread on this site ends up on the same topic, which is off topic. What a shitshow

I think we need to draft a QB in the first round. At 7 or the pick we get for Stafford.

Back